Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It seems as though I've finally found my solution.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems as though I've finally found my solution.

Hey guys,

I've been on this board for awhile now, and like many of you, desperately searching for a cure, throwing my money away, and not getting help or doctors understanding enough. I've tried EVERYTHING (IPL, schlerals, conjuctival surgery, allergy meds/drops/shots, goggles, restasis, etc.....) The IPL did help to get my meibomian glands working again, but no matter what I had chronic pain, especially from March to late November. I finally decided to take my mom's advice and see Dr. Oberg in Crystal Lake, IL (near Chicago) who was my immunologist when I was five. I didn't want to go because I always showed up negative on allergy tests, plus doctors told me my pain wasn't due to allergies, and the meds never worked.

Long story short, I went and saw him. He remembered me and my family even though its been a couple decades. I showed up positive for just about everything. Dr. Oberg does a very specific type of testing that is fine-tailored to each individual, and so that's why I showed up negative at the other doctors, because they're tests are so generic. I started taking shots in January (I give them to myself at home, so it's much more conevient, so if you live far away you can still get help from him!) and by early February I was feeling normal. The real shocker to me is that throughout March, April, and now May---months in which my pain is the worst, I am fine. No red eyes or burning or horrid pain. Even my swollen throat, sinus issues, itchy ears, and itchy skin are gone!

I have had pain for five years, with never more than a month or two with relief (and those were always winter months, mind you, months in which I have less allergies). I've been three and a half months of almost NO symptoms in what is usually the worst time for me.

I feel like I've got my life back. I feel like a 27-year old again.

I don't know if I'm allowed to link or put his info on here, but just google Dr. Gary Oberg in Crystal Lake, IL. If you live very far away I'd suggest calling their office and getting a list of the other doctors in the nation who do similar testing to his.

I also found this link of another person who went to see him, which I thought was interesting since I know some people on here have thyroid issues that cause their dry eye: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/th...cago-area.html
    Oberg focuses a lot on food allergies/intolerances, hormone issues, and all that sort of thing. He is very holistic and he's changed my life. Please message if you have any questions!!!

Oh wait...I guess it's been 4 1/2 months, not 3 1/2! I'm bad at counting.

Comment

Very happy for you - this is great news!

Comment

Great news! And thank you for sharing with us.

I wish my "miracle" day will come.

Comment

Awesome Desi. I'm kinda jealous.

Congratulations!
          32/M ATD • Getting better every day!

Comment

I am so happy for you. Was the testing expensive?...F/G

Comment

Desi,

What shots are you giving yourself at home? I didn't know you were allowed to give yourself allergy shots at home in case you have a reaction. That's why you have to stay at the doctor's office for a while after you get your shot.

Thanks.

Comment

That's right for all the other types, spmcc. But with this one it's a completely different approach. The testing process is very long, I have gone for testing 4 different times and I still have one more for when ragweed season comes, and each of these took 2 to 4 hours because they work to fine-tune it to be positive that there will be no reaction. They still have you get an epipen and inhaler just in case. I've never had any reaction and neither have any of the other patients I've met there.

I give myself shots for cat, dust, trees, grass, weeds, and seasonal field mold allergies. Overall the testing will be around 1000$ I believe, but from what I know most insurances cover/help. But dear God, it's so worth it. I spent 6000$ last year on treatments that didn't help so I'm happy. I hope anyone who has allergies would consider getting this kind of treatment!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Desi View Post
                  Hey guys,

I finally decided to take my mom's advice and see Dr. Oberg in Crystal Lake, IL (near Chicago) who was my immunologist when I was five.
                  Hi Desi,

My grandson has serious allergies. Do you think that your Doctor might recommend someone in NJ that does this type of testing? I would very much appreciate it.

Kindest regards,
                  rppnj

Comment

Hey rppnj,

I won't be seeing him for another month, but maybe you can call the office and ask them? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put phone numbers on here, so I'll message it to you. Otherwise I can call and ask when I have a chance this week! I bet it could help his allergies, poor kid

Comment

I just wanted to give an update, since I know I always liked hearing from others who got better to see if their cured state was temporary or long term.

So its been almost exactly a year since I started my allergy treatment, and I'm doing great, just as I was when I first posted. Even with how unhealthy I've been lately-working long hours in front of the computer, skipping on sleep, drinking dehydrating beverages, not eating as healthy as I should, etc. I just got contacts, even, and I'm going to try them out this month!

Comment

Hi Desi

Glad you found something that helped you.
                        Do you think the IPL was ultimately a factor in you success? and was it hard to find?

Comment

Desi, how was your new allergy doctors testing different from the other ones? I went through allergy testing about 10 years ago and they tested me for about 200 allergens. It was a 2-hour process and seemed very thorough. I gave myself allergy shots for 2.5 years and eventually stopped because I wasn't seeing any benefit. I'm just curious as to how your new doctor determined your recipe as opposed to your old one. Congrats on doing better.

Comment

Hi Desi,
                            This is so interesting. So are you saying that your doctors testing has found that your allergies are causing your dry eye symptoms. How does the thyroid effect your dry eyes or cause it. What kind of testing did he give you and what kind of shots are you getting. Are the shots to desensitize you from the things you are allergic to. what do you thnk has helped you the most? I am a coordinator for the Orange County Dry Eye Support Group. and would love to share this information with our 200 memebers. Thanks for any information you can give. Jbeatty99@sbcglobal.net

Comment

please update us if your still active. so pleased for you!
                              Last edited by waterbee; 19-Mar-2017, 15:33.
                              People have recovered, so can we.
                              www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Working...
                              X