This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye Triumph for a Facial Paresis Patient

As if the devastation of facial paralysis weren't enough on its own, there is the additional problem of caring for a dry eye since the facial nerve is involved in both lid closure and tear production. Five years ago, my left facial nerve was damaged during a surgical procedure. Since then my eye care has ranged from simple (Refresh PM ointment used 24/7) to more complex (scleral lens plus solutions plus insertion/removal tools plus nighttime care products).

Although I was getting by using lubricating ointment, I feel that I have truly achieved dry eye triumph with the scleral lens. I think I would describe it as the difference between merely surviving and living life to its fullest. My vision is sharp again, my eye is healthier and feels better, I look better and no longer suffer from mental fatigue. For me, the scleral lens is well worth every bit of extra time, effort and money that it requires.

For a more thorough comparison and some helpful scleral lens tips, I have posted a weblog entry at http://www.sarahartman.com/dry-eye-triumph/

Thanks for that info, Sara. I read a post by you last week and and checked out your blog. I am aqueous deficient as a result of Sjogrens. Since I am probably going to have to baby my eyes until I die, after reading your post I went for a consult re:sclerals today. Not sure if I will be able to use them as the lens clouded up with oils within a minute of insertion. He is hoping that the coatings on the real lens will help prevent that....sigh....F/G

Comment

I hope and pray that scleral lenses will work for you, farmgirl. It's been such a life changer for me.

Comment

Farmgirl, what kind of lubricating drops or ointment do you use? That might have caused the lens clouding.

Comment

I used systane several times during the night and my serum drops in the AM before I saw him

Comment

I don't know enough about serum drops to hazard a guess, but I do know a fellow facial paralysis patient who has had to continue to use ointment at night. It builds up on her scleral lens so that she needs to do frequent deep cleaning of the lenses. She still feels that the scleral lens is worth the effort.

Do you wear any kind of eye shield at night? I wear a pair of Quartz eye shields and just have to put drops in once at bedtime when the scleral comes out. My eyes still feel great in the morning. If you haven't tried this approach yet I highly recommend it.

Comment

Yes I have a pair of the Oniyx goggles, and although my eyelid feels deliciously moist with them the eyeball gets dry because I am so aqueous deficient (Sjogrens). I need to put them in about 3 or 4 x per night, almost as much as during the day. As a result I don't really use the goggles except to sleep when it is light outside and for that they are the best...F/G

Comment

Working...
              X