X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight improvement in everyday life

Hi everyone,

I would like to share with everyone some brief advice on how to gain a slight improvement in everyday life with dry eyes.

As many of you know, you probably have dry mouth if you have dry eyes. So you have to deal with two.

1) For the eyes, I've found Lacriserts to be the most beneficial, eyedrops simply don't last long enough, you can't just use them every 5-15 mins (I have tried that, but there are usually side effects even with preservative free options). Lacriserts give me a bit more "eyetime" before I hit the burning mode.

You can buy them internationally, there are a few websites shopping internationally but they regularly go out of stock and also some of them over charge (double and triple).

I noticed some people complaining about being "allergic" to Lacriserts, even my eye doctor who tried them, the usual description is: after a few hours it gets very uncomfortable and it only increases and (sometimes) there's inflammation in that place. I have to say that I experience this as well (many many times) and it has nothing to do with being allergic. So if you have already tried them and got this bad experience, please try again using my following explanation and solution:
    ---When you place the insert, it's impossible to do it in a sterile manner. The tool they provide is a hindrance and can seriously hurt your eyes. It has so many problems that I don't want to mention. I've found the best solution is to put some spit on your finger, press down on the insert with that finger, and slowly "rub it off" onto the bottom eyelid, then lift the eyelid to swallow it.
    ---Now the "allergic reaction" happens because it doesn't matter what tool you use, fingers, insertor, whatever, even if you burn your finger with hot water to sterilise them, you will still get uncomfortable burning with time (as is described with the "allergic reaction"). The cause is this: there is bacteria that the insert is "sitting on", you simply need to shuffle it. Bring the insert into the middle of the eye then inside the eye lid, lift the eyelid up and do a circular motion to rub thte insert, then again in the opposite direction, then up and down rubbing, then move the insert away from your nose and do the same, this will rotate it around and let the bacteria flow out and avoid that burning uncomfortable sensation that increases with time.

Always close your eyes whenever you have time, especially in public settings (bus, train, boring times, idle times).

2) Dry mouth problems are: tooth get really bad (plaque, fillings), throat is so dry that it will wake you up from your sleep, and possibly acid reflux (no saliva to balance the pH of your stomach). There's no real solution for acid reflux except avoiding acidic foods (impossible), instead just avoid the extremely acidic foods.

As for the tooth and sleeping problems: Xylimelts, get them in 900-1000 amounts for cheap from the main site: https://www.oracoat.com/products/xmdm?variant=703710529 , get the small pack first, I suggest mint free. Use these while you sleep, they will keep your mouth hydrated and salivated (is that a word?) and should stop you waking up with a dead dry throat. Also, after you brush your teeth, it won't be futile 30 minutes after you sleep with plaque and all sorts of nasty bad things and bad breath, you can stick 2 in, 1 on each side. They are very cheap imo.

I hope I can help someone out with my 2 product suggestions here. Please feel free to contact me for any questions. I've tried Lipiflow, IPL, weird eyedrops, expensive things, nothing worked/helped. Warm compress might be bad for you if you are burning all the time, try cold icepacks to the eyes, better imo but I may be wrong.

Hussain

Hi Hussain. Thanks for sharing what has given you a little relief. Given you have both dry eyes and dry mouth, have you ever been tested for Sjogren's Syndrome or any other autoimmune disease? Dry eyes and mouth are hallmark symptoms of Sjogrens.

I likely have Sjogrens, and had severe dry eyes and slight dry mouth. I use the prescription pill Evoxac (generic name Cevimeline) which can provide moisture to the eyes and mouth for ~4 hours after each pill. I usually only use it if I'm going to drive, but it can be used up to 4x daily. I also use GC Dry Mouth Gel at night to keep mouth and gums moist, but it can be used during the daytime too:

https://www.mountainside-medical.com...ant=5676691972

Also, here's a post where I listed major factors that helped me improve, including diet changes, in case there's something you may want to try. Diet changes were a major turnaround for me.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/forum...ccumulate-info

Comment

Working...
    X