Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antibiotic ointment to the lids has really helped

I feel i want to post this since it may help someone out there
    I had been improving anyway over a few months now - due i think mostly to regular and conciencious eyelid hygiene (My DE was -notice past tense - due to blepharitis - blocked mebomian glands causing evaporative dry eye )
    I have found that if i treat the MGD ,the DE starts to improve ie dont need drops as much, and the burning /light sensitivity/pain inthe actual eyes improves
    (I have learned to distinguish between the symptoms of the eyelids and those of the eye surface )- Lid problems for me are prickling /itching /pain in lids
    Anyway - I developed a swelling on upper left eyelid diagnosed by my GP as a cyst - most likely a chalazion and was perscribed chloramphenicol ointment I was v reluctant to use it as i am highly allergic to nearly everything i put on my lids
    Amazingly - I ventured the tiniest smear of the ointment on my affected lid and it was OK- in fact felt good
    End of story - I now use a v small smear of this ointment every night on both lids/lid margins and amazingly the cyst has nearly disapeared (only a pimple left)after only a week, but I have solved my night problem of eyelids sticking to eyes I have not worn goggles now for several nights and slept through without having to use drops
    Reasons ??? possibly I have reduced the bacterial load on the eyelids and lubricated them with something i can tolerate
    (I had tried vasaline and olive oil to no avail )
    I only hope I dont get used to the chloramphenicol so it ceases to work
    I'll deal with that if and when ---
    I dont suppose I will ever get rid of the blepharitis /MGD completely but i certainly have it well under control now thank God and life is much better (and I do thank God as I have been prayed for many times)
    If I could get my arthritis under control now I would be flying
    Thanks to everyones help - I can never overestimate what this site means to me

Hi, Stella,
    I read that you're having good luck with chloramphenicol ointment.
    Have you ever tried erythromycin ointment? I used it every night in the lower lids and my dry eye symptoms almost completely went away last summer. Then, after about 3 months, I had severe symptoms again. I've since tried the ointment again but it only irritates my eyes more. Have you ever tried scleral lenses? I haven't. I'm using serum tears but my eyes are doing terrible. They'll be okay for a few days or weeks and then I'll be right back into it. The pain is horrible. Do you have bad pain and discomfort too? I'd appreciate any of your experiences or advice.
    Diana

Comment

Hi Diana
      I was reading your story before replying to your post - i think your problem is a lot more serious than mine - What is RK ?
      Mine seems to be a straightforward blepharitis (MGD) causing evaporative DE
      It would seem that i respond well to antibiotic treatment/anti inlammatory since i found low dose oral doxycillen v good I was on that for 4 months last year (I hold that in reserve now since i dont want to become resistant to it)
      We can not get erythramycin eye ointment in the UK and the chloramphenicol was a happy accident since it was perscribed for my eyelid cyst which is completely gone now
      Coming back to you - the fact that you responded well to the erythramycin might mean that you have got MGD as well as RK and other problems (most people seem to have MGD)so to reduce the bacteria on your lids may help and a new antibiotic ointment such as chloramamphenicol may help - Its worth a try
      Since i am so aymptom free at the moment there is no question of me trying sclaras though i believe they can be wonderful for some people - I always looked on them as a last resort
      I dont have any pain now -- I have had a lot of pain in the past which drove me mad and depressed me so i can sympathise
      Do hope you get a few answers
      Take care
      Stella

Comment

thanks Stella, that's interesting...
        just keep swimming...

Comment

Working...
        X