4 Plugs, So far so good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Plugs, So far so good

I got upper plugs last week, I already had lower ones. Its amazing the difference just one other plug can make in each eye. Some parts of the day my eyes feel dry still, but a lot of times they feel wet and do look like they are watering or that I am crying. My eyes still get red sometimes, but it has decresed a lot, which is the biggest insecurity of mine. Now they do look really glossy sometimes though. Also, they burn a lot less although they still burn occasionally. I can tolerate watching tv and even being on the computer much better.

I can tolerate make-up a lot better than before and I wake up earlier now. I know it may sound stupid but before my eyes were dryest in the morning so I liked to sleep longer, even though I preferred to wake up early, it was one of the sacrifices I made to feel better. Also, when I look a certain way, I can feel the plugs scratching my eye ball.. Nothing is perfect and I would choose that over dry any day.

It has been about a year and seven months of dealing with the pain, sorrow, and frustration of dry eye and I did finally find some relief. I recommend anyone who has dry eye should try plugs. I understand they are not for everybody, but it is worth a try. I didnt know what plugs would do for me, but as you all know, you will try anything for relief.

Overall, so far, I am satisfied. Plugs do have pros and cons though. Pros are less burning, less redness, and I can tolerate make-up, waking up early and enjoying the morning, watching tv and using the computer. Cons are scratchiness on the inner corner of my eye and increased eye boogers especially in the morning when I open my eyes and even throughout the day. I have to constantly wipe the corner and around my eyes for crusties..its kinda nasty but I can deal with it.

Nothing is perfect, and I am convinced my eyes will never be completely normal, but I wanted to share my story, so far.
    Last edited by KaylaR; 16-May-2008, 22:16. Reason: Forgot to mention a few things

That's wonderful Kayla!! I have 3-month collagen plugs in my lowers, but I honestly don't even know if they are there or not. I've been really dry and uncomfortable again these past few days...... ;( I'm guessing it's because of the AC coming on at work.

I don't know how much to push for new treatments when so much of this lasik crap is playing the waiting game. I just want to feel healthy and normal again.

Maybe I should ask for upper plugs too. Have you been diagnosed with any oil gland issues?

Thanks,
    Laura

Comment

No just dry eye. I guess thats all I have??? I never really was told anything else and I never even thought of anything else. I tried temporary plugs and it didnt do anything for me, it could also be because it was so shortly after surgery and it was only on the bottom anyway. I recommend trying permanent plugs Laura. And try the bottom ones and then if they help a little then try the top too about two weeks later. Thats what I did because the doc said all at once would be a shock. There is pros and cons as I listed in the last post but I think anything is better than dry eye at this point.

Let me know how things go if you try them. Its amazing the difference having all 4 plugs in opposed to 2. I wish you the best. And I will let everybody know if anything changes with 4 plugs. I know these posts really help people cope. Just remember, nothing is perfect. I know that my eyes are jacked up for life and somehow I have to accept that and try the best that I can to improve and stay focused on my life and future. I cant let dry eyes take over my life anymore.
      Kayla

Comment

oh yeah, the brand of plugs was "sharp point" (i cant remember if it was one word or two though, sorry) and the size was .4mm. I asked the doctor because I wanted to tell everybody just in case that matters!!
        Kayla

Comment

Kayla, do you mind me asking who your doctor is? I am also in Maryland and my husband is having plugs put in next week (1 year post-lasik).

Comment

Hi Kayla,
            I had collagen plugs put in recently. My doc, who is an eye surgeon said that they would totally block the tears from exiting for a few days. He put 2 plugs in each duct. They are 1 week trials. What was different about the temps from the silicone ones? A week trial was kind of silly. I might try the 6 month plugs (collagen) next, because I am not sure if they were effective or not!

Cabut
            Last edited by Cabut; 19-May-2008, 18:10. Reason: spelling
            Cabut
            65yr.old male, Arizona resident.

Comment

As expensive as they are, I went for the 3 month collagen ones on my doctor's recommendation. I had both lowers done mid-April with immediate positive results. The left eye feels almost normal a good part of the time. The right eye was still pretty miserable so last week I had him do a collagen plug in the upper right. I am doing much better with that eye too. In fact, today, I only used drops twice and did not even think about my eyes. I am also doing Dr. Latkany's Eye Spa and credit much to that too. I am considering having the lower ducts cauterized in July. I see too many potential problems with the permanent ones based on how many find them irritating and how many people have them fall out over and over.

Comment

Sorry everyone, I know I havent had much time for the computer lately because Im working all the time!

Anyway amo124 my doctor is Dr. Tarantino in Glen Burnie. He is my favorite so far. He is understanding and feel like he really wants to help me. I receommend you go to him. His partner is Dr. Cho and she helped me too. I thin they are both good doctors.

Cabut, I tried temperay plugs a few weeks after my lasik procedure. I could not even tell a difference at all. I wasent sure if it was too soon after the lasik or not. From my understanding, a difference between the permanent and temperary ones is that the temp. plugs go farther into the duct more and the permanent ones stick out more. Also, the temperary ones dissolve too so they shrink to nothing so I assume they are smaller as time goes by?? That is why I can feel the plugs in my eyes when I look inward in both eyes. That is what my doctor told me. I could tell a diffence between the two and I like the permanent ones a lot better.

Comment

Rubbyslippers, I also think about caterization sometimes.

My eyes seem to be tearing a lot less lately. I dont like this feeling either. My right eye has been feeling very dry and I am worried that the plugs are becoming less effective which makes me sad :-( I hope its just the weather and they will soon tear more again. That is another reason I am keeping caterization in mind.

Ill keep posting as time goes by. I like venting on the website and reading posts as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X