The day I have been waiting for!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The day I have been waiting for!

Over the last 2 and a half years i have had 2 main aims. Firstly of course to get to the point where my eyes felt normal, but secondly to get to the point where I forgot that i had the condition and it became something like when you had chickenpox as a child i.e. a distant, unpleasant memory.
    Well since February my eyes have felt 100% better and I cant remember the last time I used a drop. The most amazing thing was last wednesday; we were taking a short break to Rome and Florence when half way through the flight I realised I had not packed any drops or the usual dry eye kit that I would religiously take whenever I went away. It felt so good tor realise that I was free from the control of dry eye.
    So hopefully this could be the end for me and I want everyone to know that they should never give up. 2 years post Lasik I was desperate but now 6 months later my eyes feel fine (touch wood!). I believe the nerve regrowth is exceedingly slow but it does come back.
    This site has been the best thing that could have happened to me and Rebecca I can never thank you enough for the work you have done.

I have enjoyed talking to everyone and I will pop in now and again.
    Love to everyone and god bless,
    Take care
    Barry

So happy for you!!

Dear Barry,

Your triumph over post lasik dry eyes is just the story I need this morning.

Although I probably have auto-immune related dry eye but a success story like yours just bring us so much hope that we can all use.

Best wishes to you and your family. Please drop by to keep us posted on your progress.

Chris

Comment

Barry

Congratulations, I am so delighted for you.

Your story gives me the hope that keeps me determined that I too will share your triumph.

I must admit, that lately, things have been much better for me than they have been for a long time.

I am still using drops of a night (clinitas ultra) and the occasional drop during the day (clinitas soothe) and am finding some relief with these.

This morning, I did experience an abrasion, but they are becoming an inconvenience rather than a debilitating condition.

Again, I wish you well and thanks again for sharing your story.

I too hope to be posting a similar story in the not too distant future as we are about the same period post op from the same laser chain.

Warm regards

Ian

Comment

Congradulations! Thanks for the inspiration!

I had Lasik 4 months ago and this story is an inspiration to me! My eyes are improving, but I still cannot leave the house without drops. I can go 2-4 hours without needing drops now, but I really am hoping to eventually not need them.

Comment

Thanks Barry for putting that hope out there! I really needed it today as I am coming off of a rough weekend. I am 11 months out from PRK and still struggling with major dryness. I was hoping to post a triumph this morning as well as I went on my first camping trip since this whole mess started. Well, it wasn't that great. But maybe, if I just hang in there I will improve.

Thanks again for the post!!

Comment

((((Barry)))) Yessss!!!!!!!!!

((((MDE)))) Hang in there. If we can't all be Barry at least we can get pretty durned close in time.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Barry, that's excellent!
              Is there any particular product that you think was intrinsic (or at least very helpful) in getting your eyes back to normal? Or do you just feel it was time healing your eyes?
              And what are all the girls on this site going to do now without your picture?

Comment

Originally posted by NYer View Post
                And what are all the girls on this site going to do now without your picture?

I'm so pleased that someone picked up on this.

After my initial elation for Barry and his post, I then though how distraught some of our regular posters may be without our resident "Steve McQueen" - (according to Lucy - I think) .

Anyway, all jokes aside, I wish you continued improved and it is the best news I have heard in ages.

You have reinspired my hope of a complete recovery.

Cheers mate

Ian

Comment

OOOh Noooo!

We won't see your pretty face anymore!! Seriously, I am delighted to read this and I sincerely hope many many more of you have the same results as Barry.

Barry, you will definitely be missed but we are so happy for you.

Billye

Comment

Yea!

I'm really happy for you!

--Liz

Comment

Barry,

Yours is great news! Thank you for sharing it with us. We'll somehow have to cope in the absence of your avatar. It's been fun harassing you.

Do drop in on us occasionally so we can have our giggles. Be sure that your visit is strictly for fun...we do not want to hear of any further eye discomfort.

Congrats on your success.

Diana
                      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I almost missed this!

Barry, as everyone said, it's great to hear you are doing so well. As the most handsome face to ever grace DEZ's pages, I'll miss you. (IanP--you're right behind Barry.) Remember, I was the first with the courage to bring up your photogenic face, then all the others followed. That said, come back and see me....I mean us........from time to time. We need all the chuckles and handsome faces we can get. Lucy
                        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Good

Good for you Hangus.

I'd just like to point out that your case vidicates the medical profession when they say healing after laser can take a long, long, time. At least some of them know what they are talking about.

I'd like to take over your mantle of most photo-genic user. But I look more like Seth Green than Steve McQueen..
                          Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

A triumph and a coronation!

Sending exuberant warm wishes to Barry on the occasion of his triumph, with special thanks to him for remembering to share encouraging news, even as life resumes its hectic pace. . .

Sending respects and allegiance to brd888 for so selflessly picking up Barry's mantle in the eye-candy department. . .Let your courage and magnanimity in doing this prove to be a guarantee that you shall follow in the footsteps of Barry's full recovery!
                            <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Thanks for everyones kind words, particularly my Harem! I will always pop back in because this has not only been a site for therapy but also one of friendship. Ian was the main source of my hope from the beginning when we had a half hour chat and his determination drove me on. Since then so many people have helped but special mention goes to Bruce, Rojzen and of course Rebecca. I also have to mention the American Minxes, Diana, Lucy and silverlady who have used and abused me shamelessly (but i love it of course!).
                              Firstly I would just say that my eyes are not at the point where they were before the Lasik but are at a point where i basically forget about the condition and dont have to be anally retentive about drops, scrubs etc.
                              In terms of things that worked i would say:

Dwelle and dakrina
                              Panoptyx glasses
                              warm compresses and lid scrubs
                              permanent plugs
                              Changing usual seat position so i am not in a draught ( I think this is a biggy)
                              Eye opening discipline ( anyone with RCEs will know what i mean!)
                              Being positive
                              Rebecca!

Things that didnt seem to have much use:

Humidifier
                              Flax seed oil
                              Systane
                              Refresh
                              Occumed
                              NHS doctors
                              Optimax

Anyway its a long road but there is a light at the end.
                              Chin up everyone and love to you all.
                              By the way you will never know how long it took me to find a photo for my avatar that makes me look good!

Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X