A progress story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A progress story

I have not posted in a while because in fact my eyes are better! Its been a long road but I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I had Lasek done on 7/12/08, my reasons for doing it were due to contact intolerance and just wanting the convenience of no more glasses or contacts. So I finally decided to do it, little did I know what lay ahead. My Rx was about-5.25 in each eye, no other issues.

About a week after the surgery the dry eye began, I suspect I had mild DES before the Lasek, yet I was never tested (another story). When I called to get some help the Dr. just gave me more drops, a week later I had developed dry spots on my cornea and they took notice. I started restasis- no help- another week I got bottom plugs. This seemed to make life bearable for a while, although every night I had cold compresses and related headaches.

Through the next few months I had lost plugs and the dry spot cycle over and over, dry eye hell. My Dr. said several times that I would have dry eyes for life- Not true. ANyway this led to a great deal of stress, which I am conviced has made me age in my face. Maybe combined with eye strain- I just notice lines where I never had them before.

Finally after my insistence I had by bottom punctum cauterized, this has helped immensely. The cauterization, Restasis and most importantly TIME. I think in my case this is the biggest factor, my eyes are finally settling down from the trauma and having consistent moisture from the plugs.

So I am about 6 mos. post Lasek- which is no flap- so maybe thats the key. I usually only use drops at night especially if I wake up in the middle of the night. I use Thera Tears maybe once a day if that. I will continue with Restasis until my box runs out. I really think I am over the hump (fingers crossed) and while I regret my decision I do have moments where I appreciate being contact free.

TIME heals all wounds? Maybe thats the case for me, I hope that everyone suffering here gets some relief in time as well. When the vets told me "to hang in there" I did not get it - now I do.

Thanks for taking the time to tell us your story. It really does mean a lot for those post Lasik sufferers.

Bernadette

Comment

Jen

That is fantastic news.

Long may it continue.

Your story will give others here hope that there should be improvement for them as well.

I wish you well

Ian

Comment

Working...
      X