Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know of either Azasite and/or ****** Probe being used EUROPE

Hi,

Does anyone know of either Azasite and/or ****** probing being used in Europe, specifically the Uk or Ireland?

Many thanks

Mar

****** probe

Last year, I contacted Rhein Medical (manufacturers) to see if they had distributed the probe to anyone in the UK. I was advised that they had only ever supplied once before and that was to a company in Edinburgh.

Rhein said they had no knowledge of anyone in the UK performing the procedure and of course they couldn't disclose who the company was - but I suspect it may be David Crystal at http://www.edinburgh-eyetests.co.uk/ However, this assumption may be incorrect because I didn't follow it up. If you decide to contact the practice, you are probably best doing it by phone because I never received replies when I emailed him on other matters. (He examined my eyes a few years ago).

Azasite

I don't think has been approved for Europe as yet.

Comment

thanks a lot. I have a few queries in with hospitals in UK and Ireland. I heard that Teifi James had used it (he's the eye bag guy) so might contact him. Also, Gerd Geerling in germany is using it but too early to assess it's success. Also read that oral azithromycin has been helpful

http://boards.medscape.com/forums?12...39c8!comment=1

Wondering if anyone has used this?

tks

Comment

You gave a website but when I tried it, it led to the Log-in section of Medscape.

Should it have led us to an article about a specific treatment?

I'd not heard about Teifi James using the probe.

Comment

Sorry if you google "oral azithromycin for blepharitis". The second article under boards.medscape

It says:

"Azasite topical drops are being marketed as local treatment for blepharitis. Although I have never personally prescribed Azasite, I did participate in a market research survey about the current treatments for blepharitis and was asked whether I would consider using it.

Here at UCSF, more specifically in our cornea and external disease division at the Proctor Foundation, the faculty have not been impressed with the efficacy of topical azithromycin but are now using oral medication instead. After speaking with my colleague Nisha Acharya, MD, MPH, I learned that azithromycin can be given PO at 1 gram once per week for 3 weeks with great results. Apparently one treatment is sufficient for most patients, but in patients with recalcitrant disease, the course can be repeated several months apart.

This changes my thinking on blepharitis, which I had been taught was mostly an inflammatory, not infectious, process. Unlike doxycycline which mediates the quality of the oil secretions (in addiiton to any antibiotic effects), the mechanism of action of azithromycin seems mainly antibacterial. Cultures taken from patients at Proctor show an overgrowth of skin flora, namely coagulase-negative staphylococcus. And I understand that azithromycin is an extremely safe antibiotic, being used in huge quantities in Africa to eliminate trachoma, without the photosensitivity issues of tetracyclines, though there is still potential for gastrointestinal sequelae. Stevens-Johnson, which I also worry about, is extremely rare.

I think next time I encounter a patient who has failed conservative therapy, I will give PO azithromycin a try.

Poll: What has been your experience with azithromycin for blepharitis? I have used Azasite and find it effective.|I have used Azasite but have not seen much improvement.|I have tried oral azithromycin and find it effective.|I have tried oral azithromycin but have not seen much improvement.|I worry about potential side effects and would not prescribe this drug."

Comment

Working...
          X