Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member: Plugs lead to DCR surgery, anybody else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member: Plugs lead to DCR surgery, anybody else?

Hello,

I am hoping to find some information from others regarding dry eyes & my recent surgery.

I had Herrick plugs placed in my lower ducts for dry eyes. My Dr., at that time, said I was not a candidate for Restasis because he believed it was to be prescribed for those only with secondary dry eye, not as a primary problem. So he suggested punctal plugs.
    Many months later I had constant tearing, flooding is more like it.

I ended up seeing an occuloplastic eye surgeon who tried 4 times to irrigate, then once with a wire probe over a 6 month period to fix the eye non-drainage problem. NO success.
    He asked me if I had Herrick Plugs inserted, I said Yes.
    I had a DCR surgery 2 weeks ago & now have new ducts through the side of my nose with silicone tubes.
    I never knew of these RISKS of these specific plugs, or I would not have said Yes to placement.

Anybody else with a similar experience or information to share?

Thank you

Unfortunately others have had the same issue with those plugs. I hop[e that things are working better now.

Comment

Herrick plugs

I think i had herrick plugs inserted. I thought that they usually just drain out?

Comment

Herrick Plugs

Lisa,

I cant believe I found someone who might be able to help me. I had Herrick plugs put in about four years ago and recently, since February of 2006, My right eye has been tearing up constantly. I have been referred three times to different eye doctors and just this last friday I had my lacrimal duct irrigated. He tried so many different probes and worked on me for a long time and he said the pulg caused too much scar tissue. What kind of surgery did you have that fixed this problem? What does it entail and can you refer me to a doctor? I have done my research as well on the Herrick plugs and would not have had them put in if I had known the risks. My whole life lately seems to revolve around wiping my eye every 45 seconds. Please email me back at Ngray3618@juno.com I would really appreciate your help.
        Nora Gray

Comment

Nora,
          You should look for an oculoplastic surgeon in your area.

Comment

Working...
          X