Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eye Makeup and Blepharitis/Meibomitis - possible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Makeup and Blepharitis/Meibomitis - possible?

Hi everyone,

I believe that almost 1.5 years of my blepharitis/meibomitis, my eyes may have settled down just a little; though I do something gets redness in my right eye and tearing in the morning.

My question is about eye makeup though - and asking anyone who has my condition (blepharitis and meibomitis) if they wear eye makeup? I work in the beauty/fashion industry and going without eye makeup has been quite tough to be honest, I've been rejecting a lot of film work as I cannot see without my contacts (and hate glasses) and no eye makeup.

I am wanting to try eye makeup again but I am scared because in the past, I've had 4 eye styes that were very painful (my condition came from the styes from a contaminated contact lenses, not eye makeup.)

I guess I am a little scared and before I take the plunge I wanted to ask a few questions:

- can you regularly wear eye makeup without much irritation?
    - does anyone have any recommendations for eyeliner/eyeshadow that is good for sensitive eyes (or doesn't budge so it wont go into my eyes)
    - is there a method I should be doing... I know that styes occur when bacteria is there, so what ways can i prevent bacteria other than eye lid wipes 2x daily, changing my makeup regularly (and washing all brushes after every use, etc), and trying not to go too close to my lashline... those are some of my ideas for now.

My meibomitis is not too bad, it is just thick because it's filled of oil (that hasn't changed in 1.5 years), so I don't know if I can wear eye makeup.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated so much... thanks for your time.

xoxo

I recently came across this website:

http://www.eyecare-cosmetics.co.uk/

There is also a brand called Reviva that is all-natural and I think you can get it in some healthfood shops, or online.

I haven't tried any of the products (haven't worn makeup in a couple of months now, and I want to wait until my eyes are better (!) before I try) so I'm afraid I can't say whether they will work for you or not - but it might be a good place to start.

You could try 'sanitizing' your makeup between uses - for example sharpening an eyeliner and dipping it in rubbing alcohol, likewise spritzing eyeshadow with alcohol (this is what makeup artists do between clients). For mascara, the only thing other than changing it regularly would be to use disposable mascara wands which you can easily get from beauty supply shops - again, this is what the professionals do so as not to contaminate anyone!

Hope you get on ok - let us know!

Comment

I have MGD/bleph and wear eye make (not often though) and the only thing I've stopped doing is tight-lining/lining my waterline. I use my own brushes for liquid/gel liners, so that I can properly clean them once I've applied makeup, and sharpen every time with pencil liners. I haven't had a problem with the makeup exacerbating my MGD - my eyes don't feel that great to begin with, but makeup doesn't make them feel worse. I also make sure to really remove any traces of liner/mascara and follow up with baby shampoo before bed.

Comment

I got my eyeliner tatooed on...OUCH..but love it. I havent quite figured out the make up thing though, I just bought some MAC for sensitive skin. It actually doesnt irritate my eyes like the others but I dont care much for the look. Its a little greasy for my taste, but others may like it! I have also tried a few of the "all natural" and they also stinged. I wish I could get all the money i spend on the stuff that doesnt work! lol

Comment

hi Ladies,

Thank you So much for replying, I really appreciate your replies.

Unicorn - I did not know that about rubbing alcohol, I really appreciate it. I won't dare try mascara (too much chance of flaking I think) so I will try an eyeliner... that's the #1 I really miss, haha! I will def let you know, thank you!

ishkane - Thank you for your reply. This gives me such hope, i am so glad you wrote, thank you I will just keep my hygience #1 and remember to remove everything completely. Fingers crossed!!

regina - Ouhc! My mother got it done too and she said the pain was intense.. you are so brave! I love eyeliner and would totally want to wake up with it... but I am much too scared haha. I am going to try some mineral makeup, I suppose the "less" ingredients, the less chance they might irritate the eyes? I have never had problems with makeup in the past, sigh.. let the experimenting begin!

Thank you so much for your responses. I hope you are having a great weekend!

xoxo

Comment

I am so glad someone finally brought up the makeup question!! I just got my first pair of sclerals, and I am having trouble with my eye makeup migrating into my contacts making them cloudy. So far, some minor adjustments I have made that seem to help...

Eye lid primer-this helps your eye makeup stay in place! Somewhat helpful, although if I have to take my contacts out to clean them then it's all over.

Oil free undereye concealer-this was a toughie, because most people want oil in their dry undereye areas. I found one, Dr. Perricone's No Concealer Concealer, and it seems to stay put.

Mascara-There is one that is really good for sensitive eyes called Blinc, but it just darkens lashes, it doesn't volumize or anything. It creates little tubes around your lashes that stay put and do not flake! Good for everyday though, and it does not budge until you rinse it off at night. It also requires very little work to remove too, so you're not irritating your eyes even more by overscrubbing.

Still trying for a good liner, let me know if y'all find something. No tattooing for me, I've heard it can cause even worse MGD. Plus I like different colors all the time, I go with the trends with eyeliner.

Comment

Dear Irene,
              A friend and myself were able to kill Blepharitis. I used makeup and mascara while doing it. My friend's Blepharitis move up onto her eyelids. She used a facial scrub with Benzethonium Chloride in it. I could not find it for sale any longer so I looked on line for what other products had Benzethonium Chloride in them. I ended up using WET ONES, antibacterial hand wipes, in the red box.
              I tore each wipe into 8 sections and used 2 sections on each eyelash area. I did this for a week and a half. I then went down to doing it 3 times a day (eyes felt so much better) for a month. After that, I went down to 2 times a day for several months. It itched once or twice and I jumped on it for a day or two with the wipes and then it was gone.
              I bought new mascara and makeup. I bought throw away wands (on internet) and cosmetic applicators (throw away) from the drug store.
              Never put a used applicators into the mascara or makeup. I used 2 each time. Never on both eyes. I took mascara off with makeup remover but I did use 2 different washrags (white to throw into the bleach loads). It keeps from re-infecting if one eye is getting better faster.
              I know this sounds too easy and too cheap. Please remember 2 people using 2 different products both with Benzethonium Chloride in them killed Blepharitis off. It is a bacterial infection. This is evidently the one antibacterial agent that can kill it. It did for 2 of us.
              Wish you relief soon.
              LyndaT

Comment

Hi everyone. I've just joined having read all your comments re dry eye and Blepharitis. I've had Blepharitis and dry eyes for about six months and was told it was a chronic infection that would be impossible to get rid of..I was dismayed, being unable to wear eye makeup was a blow. But I've read all your messages and now believe it can be beaten. Thanks for all of your tips regarding hygiene and how to treat makeup items using rubbing alcohol. LyndaT your advice about using Benzethonium Chloride gave me the determination and belief I can beat Blepharitis. I've purchased the wipes you recommend..In the UK it's called Benzalkonium Chloride and is available in Wet Wipes from Sainsbury's and other stores; it's fragrance free and also contains Aloe. So far so good. I've been using the wipes for only three days and have less itching and my eyes haven't gunged up in the mornings. I have the disposable mascara wands and applicators..am just waiting for the rubbing alcohol (Amazon). Looking forward to being free of this awful infection which appears to be resistant to anything my GP or consultant has recommended. Thank you all.

Comment

Working...
                X