Post LASIK dry eye disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjimings View Post
    My sister had lasik about 15 months ago, and had a lot side effects and problems similar to what's being describing above. After a lot of searching around we finally found relief for her with a doctor in Maryland. I would like to let you and others know that there is help out there!
    Can you tell us what the doc might have done to help? Thanks!
    32/M ATD • Getting better every day!

Comment

1. Ideally you get the best results from starting serum within 3 months post-LASIK.

2. Your nerves are severed when the cut the LASIK flap. Most regenerate, but not all do. The serum helps with nerve regrowth. The following will explain it all to you. See: http://kenes.com/iser2012/abstractcd/pdf/O320.pdf

3. It takes about 3 months for the ocular surface to heal, and 6+ for any nerve regrowth. Ideally you’d be on 20% serum, 80% BSS (which is an unpreserved saline solution). This is so the ocular surface does not heal faster than the nerves. Again, ideally you start serum within 3 months post-LASIK. And you need to drop often, every 2 hours.

4. None except they are very expensive and inconvenient. You have to be very careful with them. They come in individual droppers that last from 3-5 days. All droppers must be kept frozen until you are ready to use. When you take one out to use it, it must be kept cold, in the fridge. I’ve read that the growth factors start to die after 3 days in the fridge, and potency declines in the freezer after 3 months. So, I use each dropper for only 3 days and use up my whole supply in 3 months. Keep ‘em cold! And don’t let the tip touch your eyes when your drop.

5. I think you’re still early in the healing process to worry about being dependent yet on anything. I’ve read some LASIK dry eye heals 14 months – 2 years. It takes a long time for some people. If you do end up with some form of dry eye, then you would have to use some sort of drops to maintain comfort, it would be your choice, what felt good to you. But, these serum drops are “the” closest thing to “real” tears. They have “your” growth factors/stem cells in them. Any over the counter drop tries to come close to replicating tears, but nothing comes as close as your own serum.

Comment

I dont know the exact details, but he was able to relieve her of her dry eye problem and got rid a of some of the glare.she now wears some type of new contact lenses called sclera lenses.

Comment

Working...
        X