X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31 years old and still at the start of things

Hi
    I am a 31 year old woman from Florida. I have been wearing contact lenses since I was 13 years old. I was extremely dumb and would keep my contact lenses on, even sleeping with them most nights for years without issues. The past year I've been feeling dry eyes and irritation on occasion with contacts, but it would usually resolve by taking my contacts out and letting my eyes rest a few days. A few weeks ago I had contacts on and noticed a lot of blood vessels, like a cluster of them on the inside part of my red eye - something I had not seen before. I got scared and took out my contacts immediately, but the redness did not go away. I went to an optometrist because I needed a new prescription anyways, and to find out what is going on with my eye. She told me I had mild corneal neovascularization and to quit my contacts for a week. She prescribed an antibiotic/steroid drop to use for 5 days incase (she didn't test if I had an infection or explain anything really), and told me to come back in a week. As I was using the antibiotic/steroid drops I felt okay, and the redness seemed to subside a tiny bit, but the blood vessels were still there. The day or two after the 5 days were up from using the drops, I remember waking up with really dry eyes. I mentioned this on my follow up appointment, and told her that I still had a lot of red blood vessels. She said to start using Systane Ultra drops throughout the day, and the Systane nighttime gel at night for the dry eye. She then fitted me for daily contacts (Acuvue Moist), and I left. At this time, I had only felt the extreme dryness in the morning when waking up, making my eyes look bloodshot, and then it subsided throughout the day (although you could still see my blood vessels, especially in my right eye). I didn't feel much throughout the day yet as far as dryness, but since I had these ugly blood vessels, I decided to get the drops and gel, especially to stop the dryness in the morning. It's been about 2 weeks since my appointment with the eye doctor. I feel like over that time my eyes have gotten even worse. Sometimes I feel like in time, the drops that I use have made my overall condition worse, making me have to use them more frequently. I also feel a foreign object feeling in both eyes throughout the day which I did not feel before. I feel like I need to put drops in my eyes more often than ever. I wake up with bloodshot eyes every morning, even if I use the gel. I've tried both Systane Gel, and Genteal gel. The Systane seems to not work (still wake up with bloodshot eyes), and the Genteal Gel made it even worse and I woke up with crust and eye pain the next day after using it. I didn't use any gel last night, just drops because I'm scared to use it now. I wear an eye mask to block out the fan at night (my husband insists sleeping with a fan on). I wake up in the middle of the night to reinsert drops, but my eyes are still bloodshot in the morning (atleast not with eye pain like when I used the gel.) I feel hopeless at this point because more and more I feel like this is permanent and there is nothing I can do. Just a few weeks ago I was fine. It wasn't until after this all happened that I would wake up with bloodshot eyes and have this foreign object feeling throughout the day in both eyes.

I've been lurking a lot around this forum, and I want to thank everyone of you that has posted all your tips and tricks, and especially triumphs. It gives me a little glimmer of hope that if this is permanent, somehow maybe I'll be fine. I hope
    I am trying to make an appointment with an ophthalmologist soon, but after countless hours of researching doctors online (still not sure of exactly who to pick) I am more confused than ever on where to go. I do live in Miami, if anyone has any suggestions. The one office I called told me that unless I was diagnosed with something medical (dry eye apparently isn't a medical diagnosis according to my medical insurance (I have BCBS), then I will be charged with the whole visit. It's money that I really don't have to spend and this makes me more upset.

I do want suggestions on what I can try next..
    -I started with Systane Ultra, but I didn't know about the Preservative Free version so I got the bottle. I noticed it would work for a bit, but then my eyes would have this stinging feeling, especially if I used it consecutively in a small time frame.
    -I use an eye mask at night to block out the fan that my husband insists on using at night. Tried Genteal gel and Systane gel but it made me worse the next day, especially the Genteal- woke up with eye pain in my right eye.
    -Reading posts here, I realized it might be the preservatives, so I bought Theratears.
    Theratears works, but I feel like after 15 minutes I still have the foreign object feeling, and general dry feeling. And if I use too many drops continuously, I've also had a slight stinging feeling from it.
    I also started taking Fish Oil 2000mg a day.

I am confused as to what I can try next as far as nighttime protection and a different brand of tears. If anyone can help. I am sorry this is so long, but it also helps to type it all out and get it off my chest. I work at home on the computer all day and now I am scared to. I am just depressed from all of this and losing hope.

Originally posted by elbliss View Post
    Hi
    I am a 31 year old woman from Florida. I have been wearing contact lenses since I was 13 years old. I was extremely dumb and would keep my contact lenses on, even sleeping with them most nights for years without issues.

I am confused as to what I can try next as far as nighttime protection and a different brand of tears. If anyone can help. I am sorry this is so long, but it also helps to type it all out and get it off my chest. I work at home on the computer all day and now I am scared to. I am just depressed from all of this and losing hope.
    You are lucky still you didn't undergo Lasik.

I feel you should check your indoor/outdoor air quality, water you drink and food you eat. Air conditioned air is bad for eyes. Breathe lot fresh full of oxygen air (may be under a tree at daytime)

Read my posts you may get some ideas.
    Raw eating cures all deceases.
    whole body cure is eye cure
    FOOD (Natural, chemical free), Environment (air, water, noise), Relaxed Mind makes decease free

Comment

Thank you for your response. I am having a hard time getting used to glasses long term because I feel like my peripheral vision is off. With contacts I never had that problem. Then I read about Lasik and all the horror stories..I guess I'll force myself to get used to my glasses! I am in air conditioning most of the day, so I guess that makes the problem worse. I'm starting to drink lots of water with the Omega3's. I noticed I wasn't drinking nearly as much water as I should. I also went to see my therapist today which helped me have a more positive outlook. It's just the fear of the unknown that worries me the most - if this is permanent, if it will continue to get worse as it has.. I finally have an appointment with an ophthalmologist next week. I don't even have an official diagnosis yet, so I am trying my hardest not to not worry until then.

Comment

Still waiting for my ophthalmologist appointment, I was reading some stuff.. I realized that the worst dry eye symptoms (waking up with severe dry eye and feeling of a foreign object in my eye, gritty feeling) started the worst after I stopped the antibiotic/steroid that the optometrist gave me two weeks ago. Since then, I've been battling trying to keep my eyes moist enough at night to not wake up from being bloodshot in the morning. I think there's a cycle with my dry eye being worst at night and then I'm dry the rest of the day with a foreign object sensation - lubricating drops not taking it away. I was reading about possible rebound effect from taking steroids, and am worried that that's what happened and why I got worse - the inflammation got worse. I obviously had inflammation from the contact lens trauma to begin with, and then probably the taking and stopping of the steroid, which wasn't a long enough course probably made it worse. I am not doctor, but that's what i conclude from all this. This is making me more hopeful that the Dr. I got to next could possibly fix this or atleast make me more comfortable. The inflammation is key here.

Comment

I just wanted to update for anyone who finds this post who was like me. I know I like to read updates to see how people are doing. The ophthalmologist diagnosed me with dry eye. He wasted no time in putting lower plugs and giving me a script for Lotemax for 4 weeks and Restasis. He told me that I probably had dry eye a while (my discomfort with contacts at times I guess explains this), and that recently I must have reached a tipping point and that's why I am really feeling it now. I am a little overwhelmed with the thought that I may have to be on Restasis for the rest of my life, but with how I was suffering, I'll take it. I can slightly feel the lower right (my right eye is the most dry) plug at times, although not hurting or anything just slightly weird. The left one I can't feel. Already, I believe I feel a difference. I will update more as I go along.

Comment

Id say if restasis works then great work! I wouldn't worry about being on if your whole life, put it this way comfort or discomfort which would you prefer? I think if restasis works stick to it, it'll help a lot. If not keep looking.

Comment

Thank you, epicjinx. I am feeling a lot more positive and hopeful. Going to give it a few months to really kick in. I was so miserable these past few weeks, and am finally starting to feel a bit better. With the plugs, I feel the difference already. I don't feel like I have to put drops in every 20 minutes like before. I stopped the Refresh PM ointment at night (hate it) and just used Celluvisc gel, and my left eye woke up pretty normal looking this morning, right eye (worst eye) still red but not too bad. I was scared of all the stories of stinging with Restasis, but I put my first application in this morning and didn't feel anything, so I am hoping it continues that way!

Comment

I think the stinging depends on how bad your dry eye is, I hope my comment was positive being positive is very hard for us id say. I struggle a lot right now since what I used fell through. Looking for more options and if it has to come to it, surgery.

Comment

The true test of whether the plugs are helping is how you feel AFTER you stop taking Lotemax. Plugs may actually increase inflammation by blocking the draining of all the inflammatory components in tears, since these molecules do not evaporate like water, and the only way to clear them is through the lacrimal system. The Lotemax may be suppressing the increased inflammation due to the plugs that are in place and you're feeling better due to an relative increase in the volume of tears, which further helps to dilute the inflammatory components in tears. Once inflammation starts, it's a cascading cycle in which your blink rate increases, which increases tear/water evaporation, which increases the concentration of inflammatory components, and the cycle renews again at a higher level of discomfort. The combo steroid/antibiotic was probably an ointment, which can block the lacrimal system, and lead to increased dry eye symptoms after using the ointment, which sounds like what happened to you. A similar series of event may occur once you stop Lotemax with the plugs in place.

Comment

meibomian, are you saying that the Neo-Poly-Dex might have started the initial high discomfort? Because that's what I think. My worst symptoms did not begin until the day after I stopped using it. I am hoping the Restasis will start to kick in once I stop the Lotemax. I know it takes a while... The Dr. I saw did the lower plugs and the script for Lotemax + Restasis at the same time. He seemed pretty confident that I'd even be back in contacts later on down the road, although I'm scared to even touch them at this point. He also said that I don't have MGD, that it's all due to me not producing enough tears.

Comment

epicjinx, hang in there. I think I read one of your posts. You are young. I have faith you will find something that works for you soon. I think I dragged myself down reading too many horror stories and negative outcomes that I was sure I was destined to be miserable for the rest of my life. I have two small kids and too much to live for still so I can't let it get me down.

Comment

I finally logged into Dry Eye Zone again after months of not even looking on here... I just wanted to give an update, and it's a positive one! I have been with lower permanent plugs on my lower lids + Restasis twice a day for a little over 6 months now. I barely have to put other drops in during the day, and only occasionally feel the dryness. For the most part the Restasis is working beautifully! I am so glad my ophthalmologist wasted no time and gave me plugs plus Restasis all at once. I still have some redness in my eyes, especially my right one, but for most of the day they don't look so bad, just in the mornings. I still use a sleep mask and occasionally have to put drops in before bed since I do still get dryness at night, but nothing like I used to. I have my life back which is the most important thing. I went from having to put in drops all of a sudden every 15-20 minutes to barely having to put in any at all. I just wanted to update and say there is hope if you find yourself in a situation like mine. On an added note, I gave up contacts and only wear my glasses now. It was hard getting used to them at first since I wore contacts most of my life, but I figure my eyes need more healing and I'm scared contacts will take me steps back. Thanks to this site I gave up on the idea of ever getting Lasik as I know my situation could get worse. Anyway, I hope I gave someone some hope out there.

Comment

Nice to hear your update, and I'm glad things are improving for you!

Comment

Working...
                          X