Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello,

I have wore contact lenses for about 8 years since I was 17 (now 24). Even though I'm short sighted, my eyes have always been healthy.

However, about 4 months ago in March I awoke during the night feeling my eyes were quite sticky. I thought this may have just been hay fever as I suffer quite badly with a runny nose, sneezing and feeling like I have a cold. I take chlorphenamine 4mg tablets but have since switched to Loritadine. Assuming it was hay fever I never thought much about it and it didn't happen again until a month later in March. Again I just thought it was hay fever (at this point I was wearing fortnightly contact lenses).

More recently in the last couple of months I have started to get dry, red eyes every time I wake up. I went to my optician and he switched me onto daily lenses. I also wore my glasses for a couple of weeks but actually found my eyes worse sometimes during this period, specifically during the day where I had to take drops regularly.

My eyes during the day are still okay at the moment however when I wake up they are very red and sticky. It takes about an hour for this to go away even with a recent ointment I have been using (Allergan Lacri-Lube) at night before bed for a week.

I am currently using daily lenses instead of fortnightly. I feel they have actually helped a little even though I understand contact lenses can increase dryness. I've also been using Thera Tears drops, however they weren't strong enough as I still had the problem in the morning so this is why I was switched to the ointment by the doctor.

It might be worth noting that I moved house in January about a couple of months before the symptoms started. However I've stayed over at friends since and still have the same problem in the morning. I've also stopped taking my hay fever medication but this hasn't helped either. I eat a fair amount of fish so I think I get enough omega 3 and my diet is fairly balanced.

I was just wondering if anyone here has been in a similar circumstance and whether their eyes have went back to normal. My optician did say my eyes were still healthy looking during the day but I'm still worried.

If I find my eyes start getting better I will also be happy to share any thoughts on what might have helped, incase there is anything I can only imagine how hard it must be for some people to suffer from this on a daily basis and a lot worse off than myself.

I'm quite interested in people's response to glasses and contact lenses, and if they have had the same experience as I have where glasses weren't actually any improvement. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Chris8920; 11-Jul-2013, 10:11.

I used to use Refresh PM in my left eye 24/7 for dry eye following surgery that caused facial paralysis on that side. I don't blink or produce sufficient tears on that side.

A couple of months ago I started wearing a sceral lens in that eye and switched up my nighttime routine. Now I use two drops of TheraTears Gel and wear a Quartz silicon eye shield while I sleep. My eyes feel great in the morning.

I don't know whether this would help you but I think it is worth a try.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by saralynn143 View Post
      I used to use Refresh PM in my left eye 24/7 for dry eye following surgery that caused facial paralysis on that side. I don't blink or produce sufficient tears on that side.

A couple of months ago I started wearing a sceral lens in that eye and switched up my nighttime routine. Now I use two drops of TheraTears Gel and wear a Quartz silicon eye shield while I sleep. My eyes feel great in the morning.

I don't know whether this would help you but I think it is worth a try.

Good luck.
      Thanks for your reply I'll definitely check it out and really appreciate the response. I'm glad that it's helping you and that your eyes are feeling better

Comment

Sorry, I also meant to say that over the last year I was getting a lot more yellow / green gunk around my eyes in the morning before I started getting dry eyes. I'm not sure if that would be able to help anything though.

Comment

Working...
        X