Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lasik on One Eye, why other Eye is Dry?!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasik on One Eye, why other Eye is Dry?!!

Hello, looking for answers, tips, experiences, and encouragement! Not sure if I should have put this in the Restasis forum category, because not sure how that drug could be related to my issue. Here goes,...had Lasik in one eye 4 months ago. Corrected Left Dominant Eye for distance, and left Right Non-dominant Eye alone since it was 20/40, and was told that would be what they would have corrected the eye to anyways for Near-Intermediate vision, great, only pay for one eye! Was immediately regretting the surgery as my brain was and is still trying to adjust to the "Monovision", seeing distance with Left Eye and ignoring the discrepancy caused by the weaker right eye and vice versa. After 4 weeks, brain seems to be adjusting but then the dry eye really started to kick in...! The funny, odd, maddening thing is that, the eye that I feel the dryness in, is the Right Eye, the one that WAS NOT operated on...! I don't know if having surgery on the Left Eye, and cutting the corneal nerves, caused the Right Eye to become hyper-sensitive in some way and thus dry. I mean, eyes are very inter-connected, but not sure why this is happening. When I went in for a follow-up, the Doc said that I had equal dryness in both eyes. Perhaps, I am just not as aware of it in the Left eye because the nerves have been affected by the Lasik? All I know is that, I have to put in drops every 20-30 minutes, especially at work. I work Nights, Indoors in a Nursing Home, Alzheimer's Unit, fluorescent lighting, so not the best conditions. When I put drops in both eyes, esp. drops in the Right Eye, my vision for 30 seconds or so is Very Sharp, where I don't even notice the Monovision Blur much at all, but within a minute, as the lubrication wears off, the blurriness comes back. Have been using Restasis as directed by my Doctor before Surgery and since, so 4 months. Can Restasis cause eye dryness, as a kind of paradoxical affect? Other than the brief stinging, I don't seem to have any allergic issues with it. I even tried stopping the Restasis in the Right, Non-corrected eye for a week, but it didn't seem to matter. Of course, I was still putting it in the Left Corrected Eye, so since the eyes are connected, I would assume some Restasis got to the right eye as well? So now, I am trying the other end of the spectrum, instead of Restasis 2x a day, trying it 4x a day. It does seem to help with the dryness for an hour or so, but I still have to use "Refresh drops" or a host of the other lubricating drops, I now have a collection of...! Thinking of quitting Restasis cold turkey in both eyes as an experiment. When I asked my Doctor about the Dryness in my Non-corrected eye, his response was that as "we age", our eye can get dry. Well, it is Quite the coincidence, that I never had a dry eye issue until immediately after I had Lasik surgery! Anyone else have an issue like this? Look forward to any and all opinions! Thank You!
Working...
X