Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

introducing myself! ocular rosacea...any advice?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Amy
    Restasis: Just found this short 12 min. viedo by Dr James Lewis, MD, 2012,
    He said only patients with water deficiency can benefit from it (from 9:48)
    He mentioned a few things which answered your questions. Hope it helps!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDXI...Q&spfreload=10
    Last edited by MGD1701; 02-May-2017, 03:37.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
      Hi Amy
      Restasis: Just found this short 12 min. viedo by Dr James Lewis, MD, 2012,
      He said restaiss only works for water deficiency problem (from 9:48)
      Where they say "Who could forget Restasis and its ever-presence on the television," in the UK we thankfully don't have this problem as prescription medicines aren't allowed to be advertised on TV. Restasis isn't available in the UK, but Ikervis, which is formulated differently, was introduced to the UK in mid-2015. It's just one of many things approved for dry eye on UK NHS rather than one of the only approved by the US FDA. I think that's why it's not often prescribed here until other things with less risks have been tried.

As the trigger was maybe an infection and Restasis / Ikervis increases the risk of infection, it might be best to try other things anyway until a professional agrees it's worth giving Ikervis a shot.

But as far as Restasis / Ikervis only helping water / aqueous deficiency goes, I think it depends on the cause of the dry eye. As it is an immunosuppressant I think its main mechanism of action is inhibiting the immune system receptors that trigger an inflammatory response. In that case it may help people with aqueous tear deficiency or meibomian gland dysfunction (>source<) that is caused by inflammation from an overactive immune response. So it won't help everyone with ATD or MGD but may help some.

There's also been some studies to suggest Restasis / Ikervis may increase goblet cell density, which may help those with a mucous layer deficiency, the base layer that helps adhere tears to the eye. Those suffering dry eye due to conditions that affect the mucous membrane like Sjogren’s Syndrome, Stevens–-Johnson Syndrome, Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, Graft-versus-Host disease etc. may have decreased goblet cell density.

http://optometrytimes.modernmedicine...surface-health
      Last edited by PhoenixEyes; 02-May-2017, 04:08.
      Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

Working...
      X