X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So here I am

Hi,

I was so anxious and depressed the last weeks, I couldn't find the time to introduce myself. I'm a 30 years old, male, dry eye sufferer. My tear secretion is reduced 9/5mm Schirmer I in Jan.2017 and TBUT was 7/4 seconds. I've lost about 50% of my meibomian glands already.
    My eyes are torturing me everyday. I can't even go to work right now. Sitting 8 hours a day in front of the screen is not doable right now. I'm scared thinking of my future. It's possible I can never do my job again, computers is all I ever did and learned, I don't know what else I could work right now.
    I've tried dozens of OTC drops and none of them seem to really help. Since 1 week I'm on restasis now, doctors in germany usually don't prescibe it unless you got severe keratitis. But I got "lucky" I guess.
    Warm compresses seem to make my eyes worse. I'm currently waiting for Blephasteam goggles and hope they help!
    My dry eye problems probably started about 5 years ago where I noticed occasional burning and stinging. Still I spent up to 14 hours a day in front of a screen. I had a pretty good time between Dec.2016 and March 2017 until things got more severe than ever before. Since about April my eyes burn everyday!
    I got checked for Sjoegren's and my blood test came out negative. Also my mouth feels dry sometimes. Now I'm trying to get an appointment for a lip biopsy, but that takes months...and I'm starting to believe that it won't turn out positive. Even if it's negative my symptoms are still there and could probably worsen over time.
    There are days where I question if I can endure this any longer, but my family somehow keeps me afloat for now. I'm hoping to meet a lot of people here who overcame all the challenges and got there symptoms under control, even if there was little to no hope.
    I think fear is probably my worst enemy at the moment and it cripples me.

Hi!

Just saw this and thought I'd send a reply as I know what you're going through. I got sudden dry eyes during my master studies two years ago when I was 25, and it's been very difficult ever since. I am now too waiting for a lip biopsy to check for sjogrens, so I will await those results. I was on restasis which gave me some relief but it irritated my eyes so I switched to xiidra a couple of months bavk. What did help for me is xiidra but I had to fly to the US to get that and it is super expensive. I know they do lipiflow in Germany, and as I have been living in Berlin the past year I was thinking about trying that before going back to Norway. It's a really frustrating disease but for many it can get better. With mine I have had some really bad periods and some not so bad. Have you thought about trying lipiflow for your glands, and have you tried doxycycline? I found that blephasteam irritates my eyes less than normal warm compresses, so hopefully you'll find some relief with that. Also restasis might start working for you, you just have to be a little patient I'm afraid. Hope you find some relief soon!

Best regards,
    Ingrid

Comment

Hi
      i have had a awful time too from Dec 15 to May 17. I am Now feeling quite a bit better. I was on doxycycline for 6 months at two different periods. I started a new eye drop beginningbApril 2017 and believe that has helped me mostly. The eyedrops is called Thealoz Duo. They are not too ecpensive. I have now got my GP to prescribe for me. It contains Trehalose 3% and sodium hyaluronate 0.15%. I suffer from MGD. Eyes are still a long way from being perfect but this time last year I was sucidal. Take care and hang on in there.

Comment

Hi Wissen1,

I really hear you and where you are at right now. This dreadful condition is debilitating. I had never had thoughts of suicide until this happened. You are not alone. Here are a few things I do to try and help my condition and keep mentally ok. It comes in waves with our thoughts and feelings.

Diagnosed: 2014/2015 with Severe MGD and evaporative dry eye and 70% gland loss (atrophy).
        Hot compress: Every other day
        Eye drops: Every 30mins
        Citrosplorine: daily
        Doxy: 150MG daily
        Looking in the mirror: This is hard as I have severe eye bags/darkness and red eyes, I try limit looking at myself, I find this helps.
        Meditation: once daily
        Therapsit: once a week
        Anti depressants: daily
        Water intake: 6 - 7 glasses daily
        Supplements: Omega 3 (2 capsules daily)
        Food: Fish and flaxeed with most meals
        Red Bull & energy drinks: Quit

Comment

Hi SC77
          Sorry about 70% the gland loss. Do you know root causes and problems so you can improve more?
          Are above recommendation from doctors?

Anti-depressants - if drugs then worsening dry eyes??

Omeg 3: HydroEye or PRN omega supplements have the best studies. Available in USA.
          Not all Omeg supplements are the same.

Comment

Working...
          X