Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, thank you and help

Hello all,

Firstly may I say thank you. I've reading this forum for the past month or so, and it has been such a comfort and I've learnt so much from it. Whenever my ophthalmologists tells me anything I'll come on here to check what others experiences have been - and when you feel alone and clueless that makes the difference between giving up and crying, and persevering to get better.

10 month ago I made what I now know to be the biggest mistake of the my life. Yes, you've probably guessed it: LASIK.

From the get go I had very red irritated eyes. Stupidly, I thought going to a well established well known high profile Harley street company would mean my eyes would be fine. Despite paying well over the odds the aftercare was shoddy and 10 months later I have dry, red, irritated eyes. I can't go outside with an almost instant gritty feeling. I can't sleep as I know they get worse at night. For the first time in 4 years I've had to take time off work. I've been avoiding social events for the last 10 months. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorder. Worst of all, I've ruined my eyes. Which being only 31, I'll probably need quite a bit for the next 50 years or so.

Frustratingly, different ophthalmologists tell me completely different things. My laser people were convinced I had an allergy. Even though I had minimal itchiness, but had some papillae on my upper eyelid. I used antihistamine eye drops on and off for the last 6 months (before I stumbled across this site) and I'm convinced this has made matters much worse. I was prescribed steroid drops by a Moorfields ophthalmologists, again the seem to have exacerbated the dryness. And then to seal the deal in desperation I took antihistamines for 2 weeks. This was before I knew it was dryness, up to about a month ago I had been repeatedly told it was an allergy based issue. And it still could be. I understand this is very much chicken and egg what came first kind of deal.

My last two schirmer tests have been low (around 4mm and 2mm). My main ophthalmologists sees it as a simple aqueous tear deficiency. He does not work with my LASIK people, and has been very attentive and supportive. He put a temp plug in the right eye (which is much worse) but I don't think it has made a huge difference. My surgeon (who's number I have and text/call almost daily - even if it's just to remind him that I'm here, I'm suffering and that he should have taken me seriously back in Feb when I went to him and was very unhappy but not as serious as now) thinks it's a sensitivity issue and once the inflammation is under control the tears will flow (please god let them flow!).

Other symptoms: a very faint permanent scattering of light which seems to be much less visible outside. Rubbish vision in low light conditions. Floaters - which I did not have pre-surgery.

Question: Before this got so bad, back in March, I got a job abroad in Kuala Lumpur. I am due to leave in August. I am seriously considering walking away from this as I'm petrified of living in a hot country with air conditioning everywhere. Do I stay in London? Or will my eyes be better in the humidity? Does anyone know what the medical treatment is like out there?

Sazzy - what nutritionists did you see in London?

Redness (sorry, vain I know!) is my main worry (I know, it really shouldn't be). Any advice to minimise this?

What I've tried: Every tear drop under the sun. My eyes are super sensitive, and they all make me eyes redder, however systane ultra and clinitis seem to temporarily relieve the itchy, gritty, burning sensation. Temporary plug - I'm thinking about having the other eye plugged on Friday. Omega 3 supplements for the last 6 months (I don't have any blepharitis - 3 different opth. have confirmed this). I awaiting delivery of the tranquilese goggles and some omega 7. I started taking Bilberry supplements last night (I'm sure they won't help, but it doesn't hurt to try). I had acupuncture the other day. The guy is convinced he can fix me and the point he said controlled eye circulation hurt the most. Could be in my head. Again, I'm willing to give anything a go at this stage. I eat pretty healthy and clean (although from now am cutting out wheat - thanks Sazzy!). Drink 3 litres of water a day. Clean my eyes daily with boiled water.

People in the UK - how hard is it to get restasis? My surgeon reckons this is much further down the line, I reckon he doesn't want to pay for it. I'm pushing hard and pestering him. I am forcing them to see me weekly at this point. However, taking all their advice with a pinch of salt and making sure I check out any new ideas/drop on here and the internet first. And then verify it with my other ophthalmologists. Thanks to this site I now know they know very little and seem quite happy to gamble with your health and happiness.

Any other advice?

Thank you every so much in advance.

A dry and unhappy Londoner!

eeek - much longer and rambly than I thought. Sorry!

Comment

Hi DryLondoner. Really sorry for what you are going through. I didn't have Lasik so I can't be of much help there but regarding Restasis you can't get it in England but my NHS Ophthalmologist ordered o.o6% preservative free Cyclosporine from Moorfields for me which is the closest to Restasis we can get I believe. I found out it costs over £200 per bottle if you were to buy it privately and a bottle lasts 7 days - eek! I was only able to have it after I had given Optimmune (the 2% Cyclosporine veterinary ointment) a good go and I hadn't been able to tolerate it. They are really squeezing the budget at my eye clinic and my GP surgery wouldn't prescribe it so I think I was quite lucky to get it. Here is the current Moorfield's formulary: http://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/sites/d...une%202014.pdf

Comment

Lizlou - thanks so much for the link and sharing your experience! I hope you are doing better on it.

Comment

Originally posted by DryLondoner View Post
          My laser people were convinced I had an allergy. Even though I had minimal itchiness, but had some papillae on my upper eyelid. I used antihistamine eye drops on and off for the last 6 months (before I stumbled across this site) and I'm convinced this has made matters much worse.
          Hi DryLondoner,

IMHO I wouldn't disregard the diagnosis of allergies... and I wouldn't give up on trying things to treat allergies. If you want to read a happy story of someone here who discovered that allergies caused their eye problems and how they fixed it, see Ariel's posts. You might also be "cured".

(example thread: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...7010#post57010)

All the best.
          Last edited by spmcc; 26-Jun-2014, 14:49. Reason: Added link

Comment

Dear spmcc - thank you for your reply.

I had my first major redness when flying in November 2013. That's when they started getting redder overnight. In December 2013 I had a major flare-up and was put on antihistamine drops (rubbish ones with vasoconstrictors which even my surgeon says aren't good, even though it was one his ophthalmologists who gave them to me). This helped quite a lot(with redness! But then it would). Although my eyes weren't back to "normal". And after four weeks of using them they were red again (I now know it was probably rebound!).

I went back in (March) and was told it was allergy related and I had to find a way to deal with it. Had a skin prick test - I am quite allergic to both types of dustmites (I already knew this, just didn't know how bad it was). So I ordered some Ketotifen online (with BAK, unfortunately, this before I knew anything about DE and after my GP had prescribed something very similar, when I was young and naive and thought is a qualified health care professional recommends it, it can't be bad). Used this for three weeks and my eyes were better - much less red during the day and I could go out without any issues but still red overnight. However, the Ketotifen then seemed to irritate rather than relieve my eyes (BAK?). Tried preservative free cromoglycate but as soon I put these in there was redness. Stuck with it for a week, not improvement. From here things got a lot worse pretty quickly.

Then used Opatanol (again, BAK!), but this seemed to make the dryness worse during the night (however I did use these after 5 days of steroid drops, which really irritated my eyes). At this point I was so scared (having read about BAK etc) that I started to refuse anything with BAK.

So after 6 months of experimenting, my eyes are less red than in Jan. But I can't go out without that horrid gritty, itchy feeling appearing almost instantly and they are very red overnight.

I have already dust-proofed my room, and the house is clean (I have considered paying someone to de-dust it as I know clean does not mean no dustmites).

I had an appointment with an allergist tomorrow, which I cancelled as I've moved on from the allergy option. Perhaps I should investigate this. I am planning on being tested again for ingredients in eye drops - has anyone done this?

Have tried anti-histamines tablets - made dryness/irritation/redness worse.

It could now be a combination of irritation from erratic use drops/BAK AND allergy.

Currently I am using preservative free eye drops, and have been using these for the past two week. Definitely no improvement. Actually, I think they are becoming more sensitive to wind, A/C etc.

hhhmmmm.....

Comment

So after writing that post, I put in some Clinitis eye drops and went to bed (as it was 3:00am in the UK). Just woke up with much more comfortable eyes, which aren't that red...

Eyes drops alone cannot relieve inflammation or can they??

Comment

Working...
              X