Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greg, North Carolina - MGD, constant blurred vision...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg, North Carolina - MGD, constant blurred vision...

Hey y'all,

I am a builder, specializing in natural building (cob, straw bale, stone, etc...). I have a 3 year old son, Leo, whom I raise with my partner, Danielle. I am originally from Syracuse, NY.

Here's the dry eye story:
    From 2008-2012 I dealt with a pretty consistent combination of inflamed eyelids, chalazions, styes... No dry eye - in fact, I would often wake up to really sticky, gooey eyes - more than average oil secretion. I saw at least 4 or 5 different opthamologists, including a couple at the Duke Eye Center in Durham, NC (where I live). I was diagnosed at different times with: blepharitis (posterior and anterior), ocular rosacea, styes, chalazions, Meibomian Gland Disease, and maybe a couple more. Over these 4 years I had the following treatments: erythromycin (spelling?), doxycycline, steroid injection, chalazion removal (minor surgery). I was doing my best at staying consistent with lid hygiene and compresses. At one point I learned more about lid massaging, and started integrating that with some success. And it finally got to a point where I thought I might be overcoming the problem altogether, with a consistent routine of compresses, hygiene, and careful massage. When I would notice a stye, I would be able to get rid of it within 2 or 3 days, instead of watching it blow up into a huge chalazion like had been happening previously.

After 6 or 7 months of feeling good about this, I started to have problems with blurred vision. Theratears didn't work, and neither did nighttime ointment, which were really the only things my Duke ophthalmologist had to offer me at the time. Little did I know that my blurred vision would become such a part of my life. I've had very few days of decent vision now over the past year and a half (maybe 10 or 15 good days total). My left eye is healthier than my right. My vision is almost perfect most days in my left (but occasionally I wake up and it is quite bad). It's blurred almost every day in my right (although every once in a while the right is good). The inconsistency is mind-boggling; I have not found any means to predict what my vision will be like the next morning when I wake up. I've had weeks where one day the left is good and the right bad, and the next day it's the opposite, and the next day opposite. I've had times where for 3 days my vision is better in the morning and gets slowly worse at night. And times where it is worst in the morning, but improves throughout the day. Lately, for the past 6 months, things have been more consistent, but even last week I had a couple good vision days, and then these last 4 days have been pretty blurry.

And to clarify, by blurry I mean: I can still drive, and I can do my building work, but it's all less pleasant because I can't get my mind off my vision. It's always noticeable. If I go into a store with products surrounding me, it's often really tough to scan the aisle and clearly read what I want to read. Computer work is possible, but I tend to save it for better vision days. It's like a type of blurry where I feel like I need a new glasses prescription (but I don't, trust me). When I put drops in my eyes, I often momentarily have 20/20 vision for 10 seconds, before it evaporates away.

I had Lipiflow done last October on my right eye, with no success. I just went to Duke again today (hadn't been there in a year at least) and saw Dr Gupta for the first time. I've seen her mentioned in these forums at least once with a good review. She was really pleasant and she listened to my story, which was great (some doctors are not good listeners and it frustrates me to no end). She recommended trying IPL, which I'm not sure about. It's too expensive for me to afford right now in my life, but I'll find a way if I think it might help. Her guess after seeing me was that about 10% of my glands were atrophied, probably because of all my chalazions (I had so many of them, all over all four lids at different times). But the rest are functional. These are better numbers than I had expected, which gives me hope.

I am considering seeing a Functional Medicine doctor near here, especially after seeing Sazy's post. (this relates more to my consideration of an anti-yeast diet - see below)

Here are the things that I think could be related to my problem, but that opthamologists don't seem interested in hearing about usually:
    1. I took doxycyclin for 3 years straight to treat acne during high school/college. I've read that the tetracyclines can thin out oil in the body, and I wonder if this regimen thinned out my oil in a way that changed my gland functioning, so that when I stopped the medication, my body's oil was then too thick to work properly (I stopped taking the doxy about 3 years before my blepharitis/MGD started affecting my life)
    2. I have yeast problems. I've had athlete's foot since I was pretty young, and pytioryosis (sp?) on my chest and stomach for about a decade. I have tine versicolor on my back. Dandruff, of course. And jock itch occasionally. Anyways, there are clear signs that there is yeast all over my body (bouts of bad breath, too, and white tongue). I'm considering an anti-candida diet or something of the sort. Thoughts? Anyone had luck with this?
    3. I had symptoms of rosacea in high school - intense flushing of my cheeks/forehead sometimes. Those embarrassing symptoms haven't bothered me much for the last decade. And no other obvious general rosacea signs have developed. But the ocular rosacea is a problem. Not sure if this is related to the yeast as well...

Other than my eyes and my yeast, I am apparently very healthy, as far as I can tell. I feel good. I eat well - hardly many packaged foods, a lot of organic produce from the garden, etc... I get exercise all day long every day. I do get a lot of sun exposure, and I hate wearing sunscreen (try to use a shirt and hat instead). I know sometimes sun exposure can make symptoms worse - does anyone know much about the relationship between sun exposure and MGD, or dry eye in general?

One more thing that I find interesting: I don't have frequently occurring symptoms other than the blurry vision and the feeling of dryness in my eyes ( can't drive comfortably with my window all the way down, and the wind gets me...). I don't really experiences the stinging/grittiness/foreign body sensations. I have felt these things infrequently, but not even daily (I am thankful for this).

I hope this post isn't too long. I should have joined this forum a long time ago, so there's a lot to catch up on.

Thanks for any help!
    -Greg
    Last edited by NaturalBuilder; 04-Jul-2014, 10:22.

Greg,

When you say blurry vision... Do you know from testing whether this is affecting your acuity? (Not always the easiest thing to pin down, but it's certainly possible to have very poor vision quality while still testing well on a high contrast vision chart... something most of us post refractive surgery types are familiar with). For example have you ever been tested on one of your blurriest days and if so what were the vision results (with and without correction) compared to normal?

One of the reasons I'm asking is because by and large, eye doctors don't get very motivated unless you're actually 'dropping lines' on the chart. I'm wondering if there's corneal edema or something else going on. It's not all that usual for someone to have so much impact on vision from dry eye unless they also have severe enough aqueous deficient type dry eye that they are in an awful lot of discomfort - which doesn't really sound like it's the case with you. There are of course people for whom blurred vision is the main symptom, just saying your overall picture isn't very common so I'm wondering if there's another factor lurking in there somewhere.

Any insights from Dr. Gupta on the state of the cornea in the 'bad' eye?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I have dropped 2 or 3 lines on vision charts (and the line I eventually can read is still blurry, just good enough to read). I have been tested on both bad and good days - the doctors haven't been that interested/concerned about my vision.

Dr. Gupta did notice a slight corneal scar on my right eye, which is my more affected eye. She thought it resembled something from contact-lens wearing, which I haven't done for more than 10 years. However, it was very slight. And like I said in my earlier post, when I put a drop in or yawn and tear up, I often see perfectly for 10 seconds. I've had a couple full days (randomly) where I see well all day in both eyes, and it's so wonderful! My potential for great vision (with glasses) is still there, but my meibomian glands are too blocked up to provide enough oil for a proper tear film (this is my understanding at the very least, and makes sense to me based off of everything over the past 5 years).

I'm not sure whether I've just forgotten what having healthy tear film is like. I definitely don't have the constant burning that some people write about. I have had burning on occasion, enough to make me have to pull over if I'm driving, or immediately rinse my eye out with water if I'm at home. Burning like cutting a very powerful onion. My eyes feel dry, but not gritty. Getting an eyelash stuck in my eye is much more of a pain in the butt than it used to be. I have to manually retract it usually, because there isn't enough moisture to "float" it out.

I have an appt next wednesday with Roxanne Hollander, a functional medicine doctor in Pittsboro, NC. I will give an update after the appt.

I'm still researching more about IPL and thinking about it. Does anyone have any strong opinions either way about IPL? Thanks.

Comment

Actually this sounds alot like my symptoms. I also have posterior vitrous detachment both eyes and floaters. Dianosed mgd/bleph

Comment

Actually though my blurring is more the type where i can tell its my tear film. Like after a person crys and their vision gets blurry and kind of cloudy. I usually can read fine but at times its a bit off.

Comment

Any updates Greg?

Comment

I don't have exactly the same problem as you. I have pain and blurring when I eat solid food. What helped me is two things. One is that for eight years now I've been living about 92% on fluid cow milk and cream products. So every day I drink between one and two gallons of fluid cow milk and cow cream products. That could be skim milk, whole milk, 1%, 2%, half and half. For six years that was enough. Then, about two years ago I had some general body tiredness I had trouble dealing with, so I added getting quite involved in religion. Now the combination of living 92% on milk and cream products and participating in religion has me feeling okay, including my eyes.

The National Eye Institute also has good information on their dry eye page: https://nei.nih.gov/health/dryeye/dryeye. But I am not currently using their info because the diet + religion is working for me.

Comment

Working...
              X