Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis and Everything Else

Hello Everybody,

First of all, thanks to Rebecca and all of you who have been posting. I am a 53 year old post menopausal woman who's been lurking here for a year. I have worn contact lenses from the age of 16. Periodically, I would get eye infections that always went away with treatment. I always managed to get back into my lenses and wear them comfortably. Last summer right at this time, I had what I thought was an allergic reaction to ragweed. I went to Urgicare and was given erythromicin ointment which did not help. I woke up in two days with my eyes sticky. I called the opthalmologist and got on this crazy merry-go-round of good and bad eye days.

To keep this brief, I'll list what I've tried:

1. Erythromycin
    2. Lotemax
    3, Tobredex
    4. Chromolyn
    5. Azasite
    6. Lid scrubs with Johnson's and Johnson's Baby Shampoo
    7. Lid scrubs with Cetaphil both mild and for oily skin
    8. Ocusoft Lid Scrubs
    9. Castor Oil
    10. Manuka Honey
    11. Two different dermatologists
    12. Cortisone cream
    13. Hot compresses
    14. Refresh Eye Drops
    15. Cutting sugar out of my diet
    16. Promise B cream
    17. Restasis
    18. Acupuncture
    19. Allergy testing and shots

Right before Christmas I went to the original opthamologist. She was going to try what sounded like Blephex, but she had to call her associate to ask him how to do it. I did not want to be her guinea pig, so I left that practice. At that practice they seem to quadruple book patients. One time I waited 4 hours for my appointment.

Two weeks ago my left eye was swollen and very red again. This happened after one day on Restasis which had been prescribed by my new eye doctor. I went back to my new eye doc, who was very highly recommended by friends and co-workers. He diagnosed me with a stye or chalzion. This time I got oral doxycycline 100 mgs twice a day. So, today is the last day of the doxy. My lids are still swollen and red. This new doctor told me that my Blepharitis is at a 2 out of 10 on the scale of symptoms and that I can't expect to have 11 year old eyes ever again. I am so tired of doctors who really are shooting in the dark at the treatment and diagnosis of this condition.

I look much older and reptilian to myself these days. My left eye is always worse. Today I have my annual physical to get my synthroid refill; I am hypothyroid. After that I am going to investigate XRM testing for hormonal inbalance and nutrition counseling. I have been diagnosed with rosacea by one dermatologist, sebborhea by another, and eczema by a third. Right now I don't know what I have. The nutrition hormone testing is $500.00 and supplements will follow with a monthly membership fee of $99. Is this another rabbit hole for me to jump down? And, if you've read this far, have any of you tired this genetic testing to solve the blepharitis issues?

I have attached a site about a lawsuit against Restasis. I have a feeling that this will be the next recalled medicine in the news.

Any insight, pardon the pun, will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrea

http://fightforvictims.com/eye-doctors-whistleblower-lawsuit-claims-allergan-paid-kickbacks-drive-restasis-sales/3938

2002 FDA Restasis trials demonstrated 1/10 patients improved.
    The original principal investigators take more patients off it than prescribe.

Comment

Andrea, hi
      Originally posted by Andrea View Post
      Any insight, pardon the pun, will be appreciated
      Just wondering if you have found anything that is helping. I'm currently using autologous serum eye drops hoping to get rid of an apparent allergic reaction to FML. This is helping a little. See my history: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...inging-persist!

If you find something that works, please share. Thanks. ~Gerri

Comment

Less is More?

Hi Gerri,

I hope you are feeling better today. I am trying Tobradex again at the advice of a new doctor who also offers XRDM genetic and nutrition testing. It costs $550.00 and is not covered by my health care plan. So, I gave a blood sample, swabbed my cheek, and answered a 250 question survey. In six weeks, I will receive a list of recommendations as to how to reduce overall inflammation in my body. I have already spent so much money on this condition. This is my last ditch effort. Until then
        I'm using Cetaphil Cleanser to clean my lids, using hot compresses, and applying the Tobradex. I also started the Nordic Naturals Omega 3 last week. I agree with Jack on this site. They do make my eyes feel better. I'm still not great and every morning I wake up wondering how bad I will look.

Thanks again for replying. I hope your eyes get better every day.

Andrea

Originally posted by Gerri55455 View Post
        Andrea, hi

Just wondering if you have found anything that is helping. I'm currently using autologous serum eye drops hoping to get rid of an apparent allergic reaction to FML. This is helping a little. See my history: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...inging-persist!

If you find something that works, please share. Thanks. ~Gerri

Comment

Hi Andrea,
          In six weeks, I will receive a list of recommendations as to how to reduce overall inflammation in my body.
          . Yes, I do think reducing inflammation is important in managing this condition so I hope that the advice you get will help you. I actually began Nordic Natural again today. I've tried in the past but my stomach just couldn't tolerate it. This time, I am also taking Venlafaxine 37.5mg because of bothersome peri-menopausal symptoms. I think Venlafaxine helps with the stomach pain I generally get from the oil so I hope I can stay on it. I did feel better today after I took the oil with breakfast. I also believe that autologous serum is helping somewhat. Hang in there and I hope in six weeks, in 2 months, (or perhaps even sooner) you will have good news to share. Best, ~Gerri

Comment

Hi Gerri,

Thank you for the encouragement. This is the first time I've ever belonged to an online forum. I'm finding it comforting to know that there are other people out there experiencing some of the same things I am experiencing. I did find a youtube video today called "Dr. Alyssa Demonstrates Acupressure for Sinus Relief." I watched it and tried it. This seemed to help the pressure behind my left eyebrow, and I felt better. Not sure if this link will work, but here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uowGsFDPWo Also found the Neti Pot helpful yesterday. Two more things you might try?

Hopefully in a few months we'll both be doing better. Take care,

Andrea

Originally posted by Gerri55455 View Post
            Hi Andrea, . Yes, I do think reducing inflammation is important in managing this condition so I hope that the advice you get will help you. I actually began Nordic Natural again today. I've tried in the past but my stomach just couldn't tolerate it. This time, I am also taking Venlafaxine 37.5mg because of bothersome peri-menopausal symptoms. I think Venlafaxine helps with the stomach pain I generally get from the oil so I hope I can stay on it. I did feel better today after I took the oil with breakfast. I also believe that autologous serum is helping somewhat. Hang in there and I hope in six weeks, in 2 months, (or perhaps even sooner) you will have good news to share. Best, ~Gerri

Comment

Hi Andrea,
              Two more things you might try? Hopefully in a few months we'll both be doing better. Take care,
              Thanks for the link. I am trying to make drastic changes in my diet (more vitamins through juicing, cut out wheat and dairy) in the hopes that this will help too. All the best, ~Gerri

Comment

Working...
              X