Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, red eyes

Hi there,

I wonder if you can help. I have a problem with red eyes. It all stemmed from a past drinking issue. I used to drink a few beers every night. Approx. 3 pints of beer a night. I’d wake up with red eyes and can’t really go into work looking like that. I was mentally fine just looked hung over and in my job that’s a big No No! I started taking Alcon Naphcon A as I am living in Thailand and couldn’t find any Optrex bright eyes as we would have had available in the UK. These Alcon eye drops were like a god sent! Within 3 minutes crystal clear white eyes. Unfortunately, I have now been taking these eye drops 1 drop in the morning everyday for over a year.

I stopped the drinking but my eyes seem to stay red. I tried not using the eye drops for 1 week with lots of rest, I’m always in the gym and no drinking and still my eyes were very red. The redness lasts all day and I simply look hung over. I can’t turn up to work looking like this as I’m constantly in face to face meetings with clients. So I have continued to use the eye drops. Recently I’ve started to get slightly painful eyes. Probably due to the constant use of these eye drops. Hence seeking help.

Is there anything you can recommend that I can use to help combat this eye redness that wouldn’t have any long term effects. And obviously I would love to be in a situation where I don’t need anything in my eyes in the morning. So if there is something that I can wean myself off Naphcon A that would also be great.

The main thing is just to get rid of this redness that lasts all day. My eyes dont usually hurt and Ive never had to wear glasses.

Please let me know what you thoughts are. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Hi Chris,
    I have been suffering from dry, red eyes for 40 years now. Tried everything. Any eye doctor will tell you not to use vaso-constrictors because you will get rebound effects. Which means your eyes will get redder. I use Naphcon-A daily for redness and cannot live without it even though my doctor is totally against it. Clear for a few hours then back to severe redness. I hate the way I look and it prevents me from attending social events because of the way I look. I know what you are going through.

Bausch & Lomb are in Phase III of a study on a new drop for ocular redness. It should be approved by the FDA in early 2015. Go to the B & L website and you can read about it. Wish I could offer you more suggestions.

I did find out about a doctor in Westchester county, NY, Robert Latkay--his specialty is dry eyes and blepharitis. He himself suffers from this illness. They say he's the best dry eye doctor around. My doctor is good but does not spend the time I need to discuss my dry eye issues. Glad I found dryeyetalk since I can relate to all of the people who suffer from this condition and I really appreciate their input. Learned quite a bit in a few weeks.
    Good luck and keep us posted. If I hear about anything new, I will drop you a line. Take care.

Comment

Dr. L is over rated in my opinion. I went to see him 2 years ago and he suggested getting soft contacts to help. Yeah, that was no help at all! He spend 20 min with me and my bill was over 300$!! Not to mention travel expenses. About the redness drops...what is the ingredient that is bad in them that causes the rebound redness?

Comment

Hi Kate,
        I really don't know which ingredient causes the rebound redness but I will ask Dr. Latkany when I meet with him. I am so excited about my apt with him. I will be traveling from CT to NY and I hope he gives me the time I need to answer my questions. I will keep you posted.

Comment

Leelu-You probably are already doing this but make a list of questions and stay with him till you get EVERY ONE answered!!

Comment

Originally posted by Katewest View Post
            About the redness drops...what is the ingredient that is bad in them that causes the rebound redness?
            There's two issues: the vasoconstrictor itself (which if I remember right is what studies showed causes rebound redness), and the benzalkonium chloride preservative which causes or worsens dry eye.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

My Appointment with Dr. Latkany in NY

Originally posted by Katewest View Post
              Leelu-You probably are already doing this but make a list of questions and stay with him till you get EVERY ONE answered!!
              Thanks Kate!! I will keep everyone posted!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info on the vasoconstrictors. Have you had any feedback regarding Retaine MGD. I just ordered it from Amazon, arrived today and started to use it.
                Then, I read a few new posts and someone said that it contains propylene glycol which is an antifreeze for cars!! Yikes!!!! Now what?
                Have you heard anything about FreshKote drops?
                Thanks!

Comment

there,

I wonder if you can help. I have a problem with red eyes. It all stemmed from a past drinking issue. I used to drink a few beers every night. Approx. 3 pints of beer a night. I’d wake up with red eyes and can’t really go into work looking like that. I was mentally fine just looked hung over and in my job that’s a big No No! I started taking Alcon Naphcon A as I am living in Thailand and couldn’t find any Optrex bright eyes as we would have had available in the UK. These Alcon eye drops were like a god sent! Within 3 minutes crystal clear white eyes. Unfortunately, I have now been taking these eye drops 1 drop in the morning everyday for over a year.
                  Hi Chrip

I feel you should check your "liver and kidney condition. Try do a liver flush. I have detailed in my thread.
                  Raw eating cures all deceases.
                  whole body cure is eye cure
                  FOOD (Natural, chemical free), Environment (air, water, noise), Relaxed Mind makes decease free

Comment

Hi ChrisP,

I'm just wondering how you are getting on now? I have the same issue, I overdid OTC drops (not vasoconstrictors but ones containing benzelthium chloride none the less).

Best thing you can do is stop the 'get the red out drops' altogether. Use preservative free artificial tears (sparingly, over abuse of any drop is never good). Keep them in a fridge for extra comfort. Drink lots of water and take vitamins to help (omega 3s, vitamin a, bilberry).

My eyes were horrendously red but they've faded now, it's taken about two months to get to the faded stage with me so don't give up - keep going.

Also ensure there's no underlying issues with your eyes -like blepharitis or Mgd.

Comment

Working...
                    X