Post-LASIK 5 months with severe dry eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-LASIK 5 months with severe dry eye

I never had dry eye before LASIK. Never really knew what it was. I thought if somebody had dry eye, they put a few drops in their eye and were good for the day. Unfortunately, since my post-LASIK experience, I have now become a resident expert like most of you whose posts I have been reading with great interest. This is a great site since I have learned that in this bad dream that I am living in with severe dry eye, there are very few people who understand or appreciate how much this condition can affect you.

My LASIK case was a shock to me. Unfortunately I did not research this personally, but instead relied on various people telling me how great it is. I thought the new technology made it safe since in this day of lawsuits, I couldn't imagine that they could be doing an elective surgery with bad outcomes that were not fixable.

I knew I had made a mistake as soon as that ring went over my right eye. It hurt like heck, and I thought ... I didn't think I would even feel much of anything. The next thing I knew, everything was dark as they lasered my eye and I thought, man I feel like I just messed up big time.

The steroid drops that I used the first week burned for about 15-20 minutes each time I used them. I called the MD when this started happening and he insisted that I keep using the drops. I felt like I was doing damage to my eyes, but I also felt like I needed to follow the MD directions. At one point when I was driving home on about day 3 from the home improvement store, I felt my eyes severely burning. I had to pull over for about 10 minutes and I thought, are these cells in my eyes dying or something? What is going on?

After I stopped using steroids, things seemed to get relatively better aside from some mild dry eye and mild glare. The MD kept emphasizing that my corneas and flaps "looked great". This gave me comfort that I would come out of this bad experience without any permanent damage. When I mentioned the dry eye I was experiencing after week 4, he said ... "just put some drops in now and then". I did this, but my situation did not improve. I called him on week 5 again and he told me to come in so that he could put in lower plugs. I went to see him and I think because I was coming in at the end of the day, he changed his mind and told me to keep using the drops and it would go away by the following week. No big deal I thought since the MD did not appear concerned. Then in week 6 I developed what I thought was a stye on my upper right eyelid. I called the MD office and I was triaged by the technician to use warm compresses. I did this but then I started getting redness on my lid. I called again and the technician said that maybe the compresses were too hot. I then started getting constant scratchiness on my right lens from the point where the "stye" was. When I called a day later, I said that this was something I never experienced before and I was triaged yet again where they told me to keep using wetting drops.

Within a few days, I was in a place I never new existed. Not only had my right eye with the "stye" gone bone dry (note that I later learned that the stye was really MGD), but my left eye went bone dry as well. This was in week 7 post-LASIK. The incredible pain and irritation slowly improved, but has now plateaued for the last month. My TBUT is 7 seconds and my right eye is still worse than my left. I have both lack of tears and lack of oil. My eyes are constantly irritated (especially my right eye) and the only way to keep them manageable is to maintain a very controlled environment (i.e. limited work, no reading, limited PC, no tv, etc.). I was quadra-plugged for a while (nice term Ian), but I agree with a few of the MD's who think that if you want to battle the inflammation, you have to avoid keeping the bad tears constantly in your eye. Therefore, I only have one plug in my right eye and no plugs in my left eye so that I can avoid trapping the bad tears that help create the inflammation. Of course, most of my time is spent in a controlled environment with humidifiers so that's the only reason I am pulling this off at this point. My severe dry eye have taken an incredible toll on me and my family both physically and mentally.

I have significantly reduced my work schedule and I am considering a medical leave and applying for disability since I cannot function in my work in front of a computer for 8-10 hours per day. Actually I can barely function for more than several minutes. It seems like disability is a long-shot since even though I am truly disabled (I cannot focus on a PC, reading, meetings with people, etc. for more than a few minutes and my dry eyes get worse as the day goes on). Has anyone had experience with pursuing disability with dry eye? What is needed to win a case?

I know that my eyes need more time to heal before I can do my work and I no longer believe Ophthalmologists who tell me that working my eyes until my eyes feel and look raw is healthy.

I will likely be taking a trip to see Dr. Tseng early next month so that he can hopefully diagnose exactly what is wrong and maybe it will be something unique that can be fixed. However, I will not do any more surgeries!

Also, while I know that I am still in the healing stage although time keeps moving on, I am already considering the Boston Scleral Lens for a few months down the road if my condition does not improve. The fact is that I cannot work and function with my eyes in this condition so I need to find a way to make this severe dry eye tolerable. Does anyone see any issues with going to try the lens too soon? I spoke with Bill Rosenthal yesterday and he did not see a problem with me coming up, but I figure that I should wait at least a few more months and hope that the healing will move faster than the current snail's pace. I have had MD's tell me that it takes 1 to 2 years for the nerves to regenerate and I don't know if a lens over the eye during that time would help or hurt.

Also, I just ordered Panoptyx goggles so hopefully that will help some. I have honestly learned more reading your posts than I have learned in meeting with 5 Ophthalmologists to date. I've never been in a situation before where I am facing something that is so persistent and permanent and virtually nobody understands. I often times feel hopeless, but I think that I will work through it somehow because I have always been a fighter. However, I also worry because I am a type A, passionate person who can significantly be affected by something like this long-term.

In the end, I gotta believe that it will get better for all of us. Thank you for listening. Also, thank you for your posts re: Boston Scleral lens, treatment options, Tseng vs. ******, autologous serum, plugs vs. no plugs etc. I would be feeling incredibly lost and hopeless without this site.

Final note: my current treatment is 15 minute warm compresses 4x/day followed by lid massage and scrub with q-tip, Restasis 4x/day, Systante/Systane Free/TheraTears as needed, BioTears omega3, 100 mg oral doxycycline, and bilberry supplement. I've also tried warm chamomile tea bags on my upper lids since this is an old anti-inflammotory remedy. It seems like it's helped some so far. I tried FreshKote one time yesterday based on a sample my doctor gave me. It felt good for about 45 minutes, but then I felt a pressure (kind of like a sinus pressure) for about an hour after that. I think I'll hold off using it for a while longer. I just weaned off of Lotemax that I was on for 4 weeks. That helped the redness in my right eye go, but now the redness is back.

Ya' gotta believe things will get better.

You haven't tried the best drops until you have tried the drops available on this website. Dwelle, Darkrina and NutraTear.

They are not talked about all that much and that is not the main reason for the website, but frankly, I think they are way overlooked and under mentioned.

One thing I'll throw in about any lens (and I do have the Boston Sclerals) is that post-lasik I continue to fluctuate widely after 7 years. My RX is much different yesterday (had it checked) than it was last year at this same time. If there is anything about post-op eyes is that they do not stay the same. This can be better, of course, or worse. Some of both. We also don't get fixed in a day.

You have little to lose by trying the drops I've mentioned and they're incredibly inexpensive for the trial bottles.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks Lucy - a couple of follow-up questions ...

When your rx changes, do you just have to order new lenses from Boston Scleral since the fitting does not change?

I would like to try the drops you mentioned, but I don't think I do well with preservative drops. Maybe I'll just try them and see how they feel since they seem to be different that the rest.

I saw on one of your earlier posts that you were successful with getting disability. It seemed like this did not happen until you were able to associate another disease with the dry eye, but I'm just speculating. Would you be willing to elaborate a little on your experience with the disability process? I am very concerned about providing for my family while dealing with this underappreciated, debilitating problem. I feel like I should have a strong case based on my dry eyes major impact on my ability to work, but nobody seems to take dry eye seriously unless they've had it. I am not to go for disability unless absolutely needed, but when my eyes are driving me crazy all the time, it affects me both physically since I can't focus on anything and mentally since my coping skills are seriously compromised. I am a fighter but I have also always had a fragile soul so this condition has thrown me in tremendous turmoil. Thank you for any info. you can provide.

Comment

When your rx changes, do you just have to order new lenses from Boston Scleral since the fitting does not change?
        I am not wearing my Boston lens at this time because the left lens is painful after an hour or two. Then, I find myself having to leave the lens out for several days and then try again for a few hours.....back to a sore eye. I have been treating Sjogrens agressively recently and just have been too ill to worry about my vision. I am planning to go to the clinic asap for refitting. I know the lens (OS) does not feel good, so it's not a good fit. As of a refraction last night, I know both eyes have changed about a diopter since last year when I got the Boston lens. I would not, nor could I, consider a trip to Boston just for RX correction change. You'd have to live with this to a certain degree or make a trip to the clinic--I would think. Since my case is first: a painful fit, secondly a new RX would be included I'm sure. My eyes could even change between now and when I go. Another reason I'm not hustling is so my systemic meds have had a good chance to work have me in "good working condition."

I saw on one of your earlier posts that you were successful with getting disability. It seemed like this did not happen until you were able to associate another disease with the dry eye, but I'm just speculating. Would you be willing to elaborate a little on your experience with the disability process?
        I've had disability since last year. I was just diagnosed with Sjogrens in July 2006. There was no mention of this disease on my application for disability. It was strictly on the condition of my eyes. I would be willing to discuss with you privately. PM whatever questions you have and I'll answer (within reason). I must add, however, that I had a solid 5 year track record with my eye problems at that time. My case also involves visual problems caused by lasik surgery besides the dry eyes. I am not correctible to 20/20 but more like 20/50-60ish on good days.

At 5 months out, you are relatively a "baby" in terms of serious problems. This is a GOOD thing. Time is on your side for sure. A few of us have seen people come and mostly go. One year seems to be an important time for many of those with more than the usual problems. I know each day with dry eyes seems like a lifetime. I've lived them for 7 years and each day still seems a lifetime. I've learned to cope and it's basically a day by day thing whether it's 6 months or 6 years.

When Rebecca, Cindy, Mary and I were coming out with this terrible stuff, there wasn't much information available. We sort of hung on to the words of a few and ventured out on new territory. Since we have been "with dry eyes" so long now, it kind of leaves a track record for others to look at. I never thought I'd be here writing about dry eyes, disability and this stuff when I had lasik 7 years ago. The dr never mentioned that possibility to me. I have, however, managed to live a life.....although it's much different than one I'd ever expected. Almost everyone will get better at some point in time, usually if not 6 months, 1 year or maybe a long, long two years. It is very gradual process as you might expect!

If you want any more info on the disability issue, please PM me. Lucy
        Last edited by Lucy; 08-Nov-2006, 17:35.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

eye drops

Believe, as I reread your posts, something popped into my head (a rare occurrence) that I thought I'd post for you. I remember this from my first out of state second opinion, although it was not my first second opinion.

I'm not sure how often you are using artificial tears, but here's what one well known ophth from a teaching hospital told me and I was one year+ post op:
          Use (TheraTears) every hour, then take a wet tissue and wipe your lashes after each tear installation.

My personal opinion is if you're not using drops every hour (since you are still miserable) you might not be doing enough drops. PERSONAL OPINION. I'm not sure how often you are dropping, but consider this. Another PERSONAL OPINION is that I use the drops I've mentioned and also use TheraTears in the mix. If you try the DEZ drops, you'll probably find your best ones without any big deal. I just think it's a small measure to try for someone so desperate. I have no personal interest in the drops, except I want to be able to get my hands on them. As you know, not everyone ends up loving the stuff, but unless you've tried, you haven't tried all your chances.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Lucy - your responses truly warmed my heart.

You are an inspiration with how you have continued to live your life to the best extent possible under such difficult circumstances. I hope and prey for continued progress and healing for you in the future.

It seems like the Boston Scleral Lens just does not seem to be comfortable for many users (at least for some adjustment time). I suppose part of the reason is that even though it rests on the tough, scleral part of the eye, that part of the eye is still dry and can still be sensitive for people with severe dry eye.

I will definitely give the DEZ drops a try since I can't make it through a 30 minute TV program without putting drops in my eyes every 5-10 minutes or so. I mentioned that my TBUT was 7 seconds, but I always see my MD in the morning and he said that he would bet that if he did the same test later in the day, the TBUT would likely be about a 3 since my problem gets worse as the day goes on.

Trying new things in a smart way is what this condition is all about. Also, your tip on TheraTears every hour is something I really need to try as well (even though I know it is just an opinion so I won't hold you to it ). I feel like I hold out too long on using drops hoping that my natural tear process will start to work. I've been fearing lately that using too many artificial tears will put my natural tear process in a further dormant mode. However, I know the counter-point is that your eyes need to be wet to heal

Thank you very much for the offer to PM you re: disability questions. I will likely PM you in the future about this, but at this point I am not educated enough in the process to know the best questions to ask. I will do some research on the subject so that I can ask you some educated questions.

Thanks again!

Matt

Comment

Matt, let me just add that the "hourly drops" was as a minimun even if you don't feel the need. Over the years, I have often been in the every 15 minute drops stage. I wondered if you were trying to go too long between drops.

Also, my scleral lens were comfortable in the beginning and I was able to wear regularly. It was the changes that came in the weeks, months following that made the difference. It had nothing to do with a "breaking in" period. I did not need a breaking in period for my Boston Sclerals.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi YGB and welcome!

Originally posted by Ya' Gotta Believe
                It seems like the Boston Scleral Lens just does not seem to be comfortable for many users (at least for some adjustment time). I suppose part of the reason is that even though it rests on the tough, scleral part of the eye, that part of the eye is still dry and can still be sensitive for people with severe dry eye.
                As a happy scleral wearer I just wanted to respond to this briefly... I think that one of the reasons they can be uncomfortable for some people is not the sclera but the lens-lid interface. In a very dry Sjogrens type eye it may be difficult to keep that interface lubricated enough for comfort. It is after all a very large foreign object to be asking that lid to wipe against constantly. Works for me, but then I don't have severe aqueous deficient dry eye.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Lucy and Rebecca for providing more insight on the Boston Scleral Lens. Also, thanks Rebecca for putting this site together. I know there are a lot of people like me who stumble across this site during a very desperate time and do a lot of reading and not posting. The site can be a lifesaver to people having a difficult time coping with something that was likely beyond thought in ones prior non-dry eye life.

Comment

There's more to this site than meets the eye!

Just wanted to point out that this bulletin board (Dry Eye Talk) is just one part of The Dry Eye Zone. Up at the top of this page, just below the big blue drop, there are links to the other resources on this site, such as a comprehensive encyclopedia, on-line store, and more.

It's something Rebecca and I have struggled with -- how to integrate the various parts of the site without appearing as if we're doing a hard sell. So I'll encourage everyone to keep the other resources in mind when responding to a request for information.

Comment

Very nice job on setting up the board

I do have one question. Is there a way to see just the day's new posts? When I click on "New Posts" it says ... "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.". Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X