botox injections for blepharaspasm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting report

Re blepharospasm - you might be interested to read this report about coffee - presumably the industrial strength Italian type - not Starbucks! I see they could not find enough decaff drinkers in Italy - surprise surprise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6757825.stm

Comment

Re

Originally posted by Christina
      Hi I am new to the site.

I have Blepharaspasm but have never had Blepharitis. I have had botox injections every few months for appx 4 years. Botox can be hit and miss as it takes a while to work out which doseage works. In fact I had my last injections yesterday. It is interesting to read that you have developed Blepharaspasm after having Blepharitis as my young daughter does suffer with Blepharitis and I really hope it does not progress. Anyone know anything about hereditory links?
      There's are specific blepharospasm/blepharaspasm websites - this one covers your question I think (see to recall my mother had a side of mouth tic):

http://www.blepharospasm.org/genetics.html

Ian

Comment

Thank you Essex Man

Thank you for the info I had read the article about coffee in the Metro but could not find it anywhere else. The article on genetics is really interesting the first I have seen that implies this. Any other article you discover would be pleased to hear about

Comment

Originally posted by Christina
          Thank you for the info I had read the article about coffee in the Metro but could not find it anywhere else. The article on genetics is really interesting the first I have seen that implies this. Any other article you discover would be pleased to hear about
          This is by the same researcher:

http://www.neurotoxininstitute.com/c...pharospasm.asp

Comment

Botox Injection Results

Hi.

I've had a really miserable 9 months and right now have some relief. I was diagnosed with dry eye. Did the restasis, tried Dr. Holly's drops for a while, did all sorts of other drops. Also was diagnosed with blepharitis. Was treated with Lotemax then with Tobradex. After all that I started having blepharospasms which got worse and worse. It's amazing I did not drive off the road. I was bumping into things and scared the heck out of my husband by tripping and falling a little ways into a ravine while we were out hiking.

Finally one eye doctor actually got to see my blepharospasms in action and sent me to an eye surgeon. I do have dry eyes (scored 1 and 4 on the Schirmer). He temporarily cautorized my lower tear ducts. (Plugs kept falling out.) On my next visit he did the Botox injections and lo and behold I CAN SEE!!! I am not tripping over things. I am not dangerous on the road. I can play tennis and I am not embarrassing myself with weird expressions and having to explain to everyone I meet what is wrong with my eye. Amazingly my eyes do not feel dry and are rarely uncomfortable. I'm using drops two or three times a day. Sometimes I feel the spasm fighting to overcome the Botox but right now the BTX is winning.

I have been reading on this blog that botox can have its downside and I am concerned. I am also concerned about long term usage of this stuff and what blepharospasm will really mean to my life going forward. But for the moment I have blessed relief.

Comment

Botox

I have had 2 botulin toxin sessions and due another in November. The first was pretty successful, but the second set of shots has not controlled the spasm quite as well - the surgeon decided to miss out one of the injection sites last time so that may be the reason. In the meantime Moorfield London Eye Hospital operated to remove loose skin above my eyes (but below my eyebrows) and did a brow-lift at the same time. Both eyes were done at the same time with the "top" consultant on one eye and an American surgeon on the other.
              Not sure about the op but I guess it has helped a bit - it is intended to improve my field of view when my eyes spasm, but I think the botox is the real solution to contol of symptoms - I don't think you can cure the problem.

I use new drops available in the UK called Hycosan by Bausch and Lomb manufactured by Eusan in Germany. This has the advantage of being preservative free but in a dispenser (lasts for 12 weeks after opening) which delivers a single drop with a push button. My consultant called them "the Holy Grail of sterile drops!

Comment

sinus/dry eye connection

Originally posted by cherrybrandy View Post
                Hi everyone ive been now given a date to go to botox clinic inside eye dept for injections to stop blepharaspasm.I would like to know if anyone else on these boards suffers from this type of ailment in relation to blepharitis which ive also got, and if anyone has linked there sinus as being a main contributor to there eye troubles..thanks..take care all.cb.
                Yes- I know that my sinus problems are causing severe dry eye even tho 6 doctors have said it isn't possible. Pls let me know what your sinus symptoms are like.

Comment

Working...
                X