No announcement yet.

How do you cope with work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest I'm not that certain what my diagnisis really is, apart from general DES. I've seen a lot of doctors with differing opinions. My mother was eventually diagnosed with sjogrens syndrome. It seems some doctors think it is hereditary and some think not, but it would seem rather of a coincidence. I did ask and was told I do not have that, but I also understand from my mother, who is a member fo the british sjogren's society, that the vast majority of people in the uk with it are told the same. I don't have the statistics but the british group seem to think it's much easier to get diagnosed in the US than here.

So all I can really tell you is the first consultant I saw said it was an allergy and prescribed eye drops accordingly, and the next consultant (there were other non consultants in between. One just scratched his head and said he had no idea!) said I was reacting to those eye drops and it was making the whole thing worse. She told me firstly that I had blepharritis but there was also an underlying problem. Once I'd recovered from the offensive eye drops and the bleph, she said I had severe dry eye. She didn't really explain further, but I personally think it is the meibomian glands as a hot eye bag seems to help a little. I find eye drops generally don't seem to work much (have tried viscotears, minims and over the counter ones)

But by far the biggest factor to me is environment, I can literally be 100% normal with no symptoms for weeks on end, to absolutely horrendous - the only difference being which office it is! Recovery is normally weeks not days. I guess that's why I get hung up on the environment, because I know changing that is the only thing that has ever made any big difference.

Comment

I forgot to say Elaine, it is really good to hear your story. It's so nice to know I am not the only person going through this with my employer. They are being very good, but still I can't help feeling guilty for messing them about. I'm usually the sort to just keep my head down and say nothing but this has forced me to speak out. It sounds like you are making good progress there, keep on going

Comment

Originally posted by amber
        So all I can really tell you is the first consultant I saw said it was an allergy and prescribed eye drops accordingly, and the next consultant... said I was reacting to those eye drops and it was making the whole thing worse.
        If you took an allergy drop frequently that's certainly possible. Pretty much all of them contain BAK. Balancing dry eye and allergy treatment can be tricky for sure. But from the additional advice you've had it sure sounds like bleph/MGD are a component - and statistically speaking, MGD is likely anyway.

I guess that's why I get hung up on the environment, because I know changing that is the only thing that has ever made any big difference.
        It is sometimes difficult or impossible to pin down the exact environmental factor causing the problem. For example, I know someone in New York who manages OK most of the time but his eyes have an extreme reaction if anyone around him is wearing cologne or perfume. In another case, mold in a car was the culprit.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Amber,

If you haven't tried plugs you haven't given yourself a real opportunity for comfort. They can make all the difference in the world. Plugs may eliminate all your environmental concerns.

I think your main focus should be on treatment options. You of course need to also deal with your environment issues. But please, deal with the underlying issue and the treatment there of.

Comment

Working...
          X