New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here

I have had dry eyes now for more than 15 years. I finally found some contacts that I can wear for about 4 hours before they get too dry. I have been on Restasis before and have taken Thera Tears Nutrition. Someone mentioned Hydroeyes? Anyone with experience on these new drops? I had plugs in my eyes, but they didn't work, so two of my tear ducts have been cauterized. I don't think that really helped at all. The new contacts I have been wearing are Acuvue Oasis with Hydraclear. I don't know what else to try. Anyone get Lasiks? Does dry eye prevent you from being a candidate?

Pre-existing dry eye and LASIK would likely be a disaster. Search this site, there are plenty of stories.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by joonmom
      I don't know what else to try.
      Not really clear to me from your post whether you are looking for more dry eye treatments, or more contacts to try?

If you're very dry and having this much trouble with contacts, it sounds like it's time to focus first on getting the dry eye thoroughly diagnosed and treated and worry about contacts later. On this page there is a summary of dry eye treatments.

Anyone get Lasiks? Does dry eye prevent you from being a candidate?
      Dry eye will put you at high risk, but many doctors still do not test for it, warn patients or declare them ineligible. So it will not "prevent you from being a candidate", but it would still be a really bad idea.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

reply to dot

Hi dot,
        l read your post when you first had lasik you are 2 months behind me. I had very dry eyes and life was unbearable at months 1 to 4. Now they are getting better, l think l am 80% there. I have gone down the route of doing nothing. I stopped putting in all the drops at 4 months because they didn't help, at 5 months l didn't put any in at night. l thought about plugs and restasis but with the support of my doctor, who was willing to put in plugs etc l have resisted doing any of it sometimes you can be left with nowhere to go. l decided that l would tolerate my eyes and see if they would heal without all this stuff. So l drink water,take omega 3 and a warm compress at night, that's it. Would my eyes feel any different if l had done lots of things to, them l don't know but sometimes l feel less is more and sometimes the body has a good way of healing itself given time. It's tough and it's hard sometimes but distraction works for me, my goal now is to wake up in the morning without dry eyes l'm aiming for that.

Donna

Comment

If you are looking for contacts, Proclear has 62% H2O and tends to be the most comfortable to Dry Eye sufferers. I personally find Pure Vision to work for me, they let more Oxygen in. An OD can work with you, but, in my unimportant opinion, you should try to stabilize your DES first, or you'll just be going backwards.

Comment

Working...
          X