Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to tell my story - and respond to something I read a few days ago. Can't remember the name of the person but he stated he wanted to do computer work as his profession but is suffering from dry eye. My advice - don't do it. I had Lasik surgery done about 3 years ago. I had that initial dry eye problem right after surgery but this spring - don't know what happened, but my eyes are as bad as they were right after surgery. I work on a computer 8 hours a day (medical transcriptionist) and I am to the point where I think I'm going to have to quit my job. As soon as I get on the computer, my eyes start to bother me I tried Restasis but the drops made my eyes burn. I am miserable. I am constantly putting drops in my eyes and I can't even go to the mall - can't stand any type of air-conditioning. I would say my case of dry eye is severe. It sure has changed my entire life. It's hard to enjoy much of anything anymore.

Originally posted by lindas
    Just wanted to tell my story - and respond to something I read a few days ago. Can't remember the name of the person but he stated he wanted to do computer work as his profession but is suffering from dry eye. My advice - don't do it. I had Lasik surgery done about 3 years ago. I had that initial dry eye problem right after surgery but this spring - don't know what happened, but my eyes are as bad as they were right after surgery. I work on a computer 8 hours a day (medical transcriptionist) and I am to the point where I think I'm going to have to quit my job. As soon as I get on the computer, my eyes start to bother me I tried Restasis but the drops made my eyes burn. I am miserable. I am constantly putting drops in my eyes and I can't even go to the mall - can't stand any type of air-conditioning. I would say my case of dry eye is severe. It sure has changed my entire life. It's hard to enjoy much of anything anymore.
    Linda,

Welcome to Dry Eye Talk!

I'm very sorry to hear about your dry eyes and the impact they are having. I hope that you'll find some help chatting with others here and I would encourage you to read the main sections of our website for more dry eye management ideas. Try the Dry Eye FAQ for starters.

I had a few thoughts while reading your post.... maybe this will help get some discussion started.

One, the symptomatic flare-up in springtime is very commonly reported by dry eye patients. I think in many cases this may be due to ocular allergies: if you have an inadequate tear film your eyes will be more susceptible to symptoms of ocular allergies during allergy season. And the catch-22 is that allergy meds typically dry the eyes out further.

Two, symptoms during computer use are a problem for most of us. This is due to reduced blink rate. Our webmastermind recently came up with a wonderful tool to help us remember to blink more frequently when on the computer. It's at this link.

Three, since this is clearly having a major impact on your work I would like to suggest you consider trying wraparound "moisture chamber" glasses if you haven't already. Many of us here wear them, some outdoors only, some indoors too. A popular brand is Panoptx and there are others such as Wiley-X.

Four, if you have tried various artificial tears and do not get enough relief from them I would invite you to try out ours (Dwelle and Dakrina which are for severe dry eye and NutraTear which is for mild to moderate dry eye). There are free samples available in the Dry Eye Shop (subject to S&H).

Last, while you're checking out the other parts of the site you might want to particularly look into the treatments aimed at improving the meibomian gland function, in case you have evaporative dry eye. That's things like flaxseed or fish oil, hot compresses, etc.

Anyway, welcome again and good luck... hope you can find enough potential solutions to keep you going.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X