New here with blepharitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here with blepharitis

I've got blepharitis and my right eye is the victim. It's in both eyes but mainly the right. I am using Azasite drops (or is it Azosite?) and they are prescription. And costly! Wish there was something cheaper. Oh well. Also am using Ocusoft Plus foam for lid therapy. And flaxseed oil and fish oil supplements.

My ophthalmologist suggested Hypotears Ointment at night if my eyes are still irritated, but I can't find it anywhere. Grrrr....

Meanwhile, I love the Dry Eye Zone and all the info it has!

Welcome, Krissy.

Azasite has gotten mixed reviews here, but it worked really well for me.

The way my doctor explained blepharitis to me was that you can't eliminate the bacteria at the lash line, but you need to keep it under control. You can do this with lid washes, oral antibiotics, periodic Azasite treatment. The bacteria is one reason the oil glands get clogged, and warm compresss treat that symptom.

Oh, and as for the nighttime ointment your doctor recommended...I really like Genteal Gel ("severe dry eye"). I know that lots of others on here use it. It's thick and oil-free, and since Genteal is one of the big brands, you should be able to find it. (I assume you're in the US; I can't tell.)

Anyway, welcome to the site. I hope the Azasite does the trick for you!

Teri
    Last edited by Teri; 09-Oct-2008, 11:24. Reason: forgot info; read her profile

Comment

Hi,
      Yes to all the above and include some omega 3 oil in your diet.

bernadette

Comment

Bernadette, yep, I'm using fish oil supplements for the omega 3's. And I think that, along with the flaxseed oil, is helping with my arthritis as well! Woot!

Teri, I did decide to buy the Genteal Ointment PM and will try that out.

Comment

Just started on Azasite

Krissy, I just started using Azasite, too. Wow, the price almost made my knees buckle.. It burns a lot. My eyes are really red now. I hope it helps me. I don't think there is much more the doctor can do for me. Lacricerts seems to do the best for me during the day. They keep my eyes lubricated. They cost a lot too. 60 little rods cost $50 as my co-pay. Wow, my plastic surgery cost me a lot more than just a pretty face. I will have to live with this problem the rest of my life.

Good luck
          Connie

Comment

Krissy,

One small point: when you say Genteal Ointment PM.... Make sure it does not contain petrolatum or any other oily substance. Many of the drops that say "PM" and "Ointment" are oily.

The Genteal many of us use is Genteal Gel "Severe Dry Eye".

Teri

Comment

Working...
            X