goggles CPAP MASK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goggles CPAP MASK

I'm a new poster,I suffer from I think fairly significance dry eyes caused either by one or many medications I'm using,I've also suffered a sever traumatic brain injury where I had compression fracture of both eyes. The doctors I've seen pretty much say just deal with it. It seems a number of my tear ducts have dried up. Restasis and duct plugs showed no relief
    As I also ave a whopping case of sleep apnea,I have to use a CPAP machine at night. The CPAP machine forces humidified air into your mouth keeping the air passages open. When I go to sleep the mask is well sealed, but when I move at night the seal is often compromised and the air blows into my eyes. This is pretty much the mask I have. Ihttp://www.cpap.com/productpage/profile-lite-gel-mask-respironics.html
    I woke up last night around 2AM with severe eye discomfort. I use Gentel Gel at night no petroleum (as I was told a petroleum product could cause more eye duct blocking).
    Any thoughts or suggestions my email robert_f@verizon.net
    I guess after that too long explanation I'm wondering if anyone has any success or problems wearing the goggles and a CPAP mask

hi curbdriver,

I know some have tried a close-fitting "bubble cover" (sorry, I don't know the name for it----I've read about it here on dry eye zone) for the eyes which holds to the facial skin with adhesive. Sounds like you're going to have to use some sort of taping method to secure your eye covering during the night.

I am a member of the Sjogren's Forum (http://www.sjogrensworld.org/forums/) and there are quite a few people there who use a CPAP and also have dry eyes. You could try searching the archives there and registering at the forum to ask your question.

Calli

Comment

Hello curbdiver-
      My husband uses a CPAP mask everynight and I have to be careful to not be in the way of the airflow because of my dry eyes.

I'm trying to think what would work with a CPAP and the first thing that comes to mind is swim goggles. They have a good strap to keep the goggles in place and they would have a good seal. If you have points of pressure with the swim goggles, try using a tissue or a small piece of cloth to relieve the pressure from the point. I hope this makes sense.....try swim goggles.
      Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Cpap

Depending on themask you use the Traquileyes sold here could work. I can use them with the cpap using the Fisher Packel(spelling) masks with a velcro strap over the tranquil eye goggles to hold them in place. I made the strap from older mask parts. Sometimes the nose piece can irratate if I don't get it just right.

Comment

One doctors suggestion

Use plain old scotch tape and tape them closed , even though it sounded dumb I tried it, much to my surprise it didn't work. I guess its time to shave off my eye brows and try duct tape

Comment

Originally posted by calli66 View Post
            I know some have tried a close-fitting "bubble cover" (sorry, I don't know the name for it----I've read about it here on dry eye zone)
            Medtronic "Nite Eye" bubble eye bandage. These are single-use/disposable so they get costly, and there are sterile and non-sterile versions. Don't know many people who use them but there are a handful for whom this seems to work best. They wouldn't sell to us so we don't have them in the shop but if you google it you can get a number to call. I think you can get a good price if you buy them bulk.

Re: tapes, try good quality medical tapes, or any tape that is really gentle on the skin. Personally I prefer Micropore paper tape, but some people have a sensitivity to paper tapes.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Cpap Airflow

My husband uses a CPAP mask everynight and I have to be careful to not be in the way of the airflow because of my dry eyes.

I use the Flexi fit ones, they have a diffuser for the air coming out so no rush of air blowing. I usually get the Flexifit 405 which I like the best. It is amazing how it takes care of that problem. Plus I don't get all black and blue from my wife when the air hits her.

Comment

Working...
              X