X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meibography in Europe

Hello
    Could you please help me with some information? Does any of you know if there are clinics in Europe that have this new device to evaluate the meibomian glands?
    I'm going to the dry eye clinic in oslo next week but as I do not speak any nordic language I cannot understand what is written on their website. I know that they have a lot of new devices to evaluate dry eye but do not know about this one...
    Thank you in advance.
    Cristina

they don't have it as far as I remember, at least I didn't see it.
    Could you please share here your experience then? I was a little confused after visiting them, because they told me I didn't have any MGD problem (which is strange).

Comment

Hi kylix, I haven't seen any news regarding your visit at the dry eye clinic in oslo. Can you share your experience? As for my side, I will surely post about my visit.
      thanks

Comment

the reason why I didn't post any info is that I was really confused.
        On one hand the doctor (Sten Ręder) made a good impression on me, but on the other hand I have some doubts about diagnosis. I was diagnosed only as aqueous deficient, no signs of MGD according yo him. But FBUT was some 6-7 secs (on worse eye), I have red inner eyelid and problems when waking up (sometimes the whole day, sometimes around noon it's better). I remember him to express my lower m. glands (I don't remember whether he also expressed upper ones, please try to remember it and post it here then) and told me that MGD is not present at me, meibum quality and quantity was 0 according to him. If he is right, then it's great. But because my doubts I booked a consultation at professor Baudouin and will compare it. It will happen in 10 days. Then I will post my experience here with both.

Hopefully the doctor was right. As I said he looked smart and with good knowledge so I didn't want to write here anything bad on him.

I also think that I have problem with my aqua part of my tears, the problem is that my osmopolarity was 299 and 298 and my schimer test is usually great (> 25) so it doesn't point much to aqueous deficiency. But maybe wearing contacts for some 12 years caused that.

Comment

@cristi: did you ask in Norway about meibography device? Did they know about it/plan to introduce it?

Comment

Hi
            So I went to Norway at the dry eye clinic in Oslo. Overall a good impression the results partially correlate with my symptoms the doctors were nice. They don't have the meibography device and do not plan to introduce it very soon as I understood because of its high price (doctor said about 500.000 NOK which is about 70.000 EUR from what I've noticed that's about an yearly medium salary.... however it doesn't sound too much for their standards of living and considering the increasing number of dry eye patients due to refractive surgery....).
            I was tested for an unbelievable 3.5 hours!!!!! they do a lot of testing but I'm afraid that some of my results weren't that accurate because they tested one after another and one test might influence the results of the following one: for example I obtained almost normal results at the osmolarity test but I think it was due to the fact that they performed it after they measured my pressure with an air blowing device that determined some reflex tears
            They expressed only my lower eyelids and doctor said I have MGD in the left eye but not in the right one.... I'm sure I have it in both eyes because even if my left is much worse my right isn't normal either (it is very sensitive even if it's lower plugged and I get some white debris like salt at the top of the eyelashes which I know it is a sign of MGD....for sure the MGD is worse in my left the results at the TBUT correlates with the symptoms 7 sec on the left and 15 on the right).
            They also measured the corneal sensitivity I was normal in the right one 6 cm but in the left eye the cornea was a little bit desensitized a scored only 5 cm.
            The part with the confocal microscopy was the hardest one as I had to stay with an eye sticked to a device to which doctor applied some gel for an eternity .... it was quit difficult not painful but unconfortable.... The results showed some nerves regenerated after lasik but doctor couldn't tell me if there was some abnormal regeneration in the stroma and I was shocked to see that my worse eye had a lot of scars at the molecular level doctor said there were signs of infection???? Indeed after lasik I had 2 episodes of infection in the worse eye proved by the lab test after they took a sample from my eye with a cotton swab but I didn't have any symptoms???? Have any of you experienced something similar to this after surgery??? The pictures from the confocal microscopy were compared to some normal ones from a book actually the doctor showed me both on the pC and in the book....
            As a conclusion it was definitely a good experience at least I have now some results other that the schirmer test...as a treatment they said to use the same old warm compresses which I cannot tolerate very well ( they make my eyes drier) and doxicycline for 3 months (I don't know if I'm gonna take them as I know they have a lot of adverse results).
            Please feel free to ask me if you have questions.
            Best regards to all of you

Comment

@kylix did you go to Paris to doctor Baudouin? How was the experience? Did the results matched the ones from OSLO?
              Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X