Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about serum drops from Vissum in Alicante (Spain)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Questions about serum drops from Vissum in Alicante (Spain)

    Hi all,

    So I'm in Spain for a few months, and my eyes feel like crap. While they did amazing during my 4 years in tropical climates, here in southern Spain they feel back to the way they were in Canada: dry, super irritated, I have to limit my normal activities a lot, etc.

    And now I'm looking into how to go on serum drops again - I want to access enough to last until June when I'll be back in Canada - I figure I can go to Vissum now (or asap), and again in February before I leave Spain. Back in Canada I used 100% autologous serum drops, 1 drop 4x daily in each eye - they definitely helped.

    I am only a couple hours drive away from Alicante... I reached out to the Vissum clinic today there to ask about an appointment, getting serum drops, etc. - I'm waiting for their reply.

    Questions for those who have been there:

    1. What were the costs like? In Canada I'd pay less than $100 CAD for my serum drops (3-mo. supply)... it only cost about $25 CAD to have my blood drawn for this. Curious what kinds of prices I'd be looking at from Vissum in Alicante.

    2. Reading on their site, it appears they do platelet-rich autologous serum? I used to be on regular 100% autologous serum... does anyone have links to some good articles comparing the pros/cons of the two?

    3. Any advice, tips, things you wish you'd known before you went etc?

    4. Does Dr. Jorge Aliů speak English? I'm hoping I luck out and he does indeed speak English, because I hardly speak any Spanish... would be great to know ahead of time what to expect

    Thanks in advance!

    Tagging Meibum Ian lizlou29 Simbo steveyez nadz sazy123 Ariel since you've all posted about going to that clinic here on the forums, and I'd love your input if you have time
    Last edited by SAAG; 23-Nov-2018, 15:18.
    Yet another post-Lasik (2005)...
    Anyone have a time machine so I can go back and undo this mess?

  • #2
    Tried to PM you but seems you have that disabled..

    Comment


    • #3
      Cost for me when I went there was about £250 for 12 bottles. This is way cheaper than in the uk where you have to pay about £1000 for 8 weeks...think that is why a lot of us go to Spain.

      There are no good studies that I have found directly comparing the two but Aliů has a paper saying a lot of people benefited for PRP in terms of staining. PRP seems to have more growth factor and a lot of docotrs I've talked to think it might be better than serum but people all react differently so....

      Alio speaks English, not all the other staff do. Very friendly. He misdiagnosed me as having an autoimmume disease to start with but the second time he and I agreed I suffered from neuropathy.

      ​​​​

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lena11 View Post
        Cost for me when I went there was about £250 for 12 bottles. This is way cheaper than in the uk where you have to pay about £1000 for 8 weeks...think that is why a lot of us go to Spain.

        There are no good studies that I have found directly comparing the two but Aliů has a paper saying a lot of people benefited for PRP in terms of staining. PRP seems to have more growth factor and a lot of docotrs I've talked to think it might be better than serum but people all react differently so....

        Alio speaks English, not all the other staff do. Very friendly. He misdiagnosed me as having an autoimmume disease to start with but the second time he and I agreed I suffered from neuropathy.

        ​​​​
        How much was the consultation and how long does each bottle last? Also do you get the eye drops the same day as the consultation?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lena11 View Post
          Cost for me when I went there was about £250 for 12 bottles.
          Thanks so much for this info Lena - it's much appreciated. When you say 12 bottles, how much is in each bottle? 5 ml? 10 ml? 15 ml? Something else?
          Yet another post-Lasik (2005)...
          Anyone have a time machine so I can go back and undo this mess?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lena11 View Post
            Cost for me when I went there was about £250 for 12 bottles. This is way cheaper than in the uk where you have to pay about £1000 for 8 weeks...think that is why a lot of us go to Spain.

            There are no good studies that I have found directly comparing the two but Aliů has a paper saying a lot of people benefited for PRP in terms of staining. PRP seems to have more growth factor and a lot of docotrs I've talked to think it might be better than serum but people all react differently so....

            Alio speaks English, not all the other staff do. Very friendly. He misdiagnosed me as having an autoimmume disease to start with but the second time he and I agreed I suffered from neuropathy.

            ​​​​
            You nailed it from my understanding...prp is better for healing wounds. My doctor told me heís had neovascularization of the cornea in some of his patients on prp. But I havenít personally found any papers to support that claim. I think because prp canít be frozen, or canít be shaken (it coagulates), itís just easier to use serum. If you donít have any staining and itís purely for comfort, Iíd go with 100% or 50% serum. But I also understand thatís not what this threads about.

            At the end of the day, you will be safe using prp for a few months. Hope you get the drops and they help you on your trip! I canít imagine going a day without serum. Curious if theyíve responded yet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SAAG View Post

              Thanks so much for this info Lena - it's much appreciated. When you say 12 bottles, how much is in each bottle? 5 ml? 10 ml? 15 ml? Something else?
              4ml. I get 4 or 5 days using 6x a day. Therefore you would have a month's supply using 4x a day

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes the bottles are annoyingly small. I was using x6 a day and never quite got to the end of the week with just one. That was with 100% PRP however. They also changed the bottles and I found a few times with the new plastic ones a bit of debris would get stuck in the opening and squeezing to free it, it would burst all over my face! The glass bottles were better.

                The first time I went I had the consultation then got the blood drawn and drops the next day. The second time was easier as they knew me so I did it all on one day, but arrived the night before. There is a bus from the town centre to Vissum so that was all easy. I think the consultation was maybe another £100.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ps here is the paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5693817/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Awesome info from everyone so far! Thanks so much!!!
                    Yet another post-Lasik (2005)...
                    Anyone have a time machine so I can go back and undo this mess?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lena11 View Post
                      Yes the bottles are annoyingly small. I was using x6 a day and never quite got to the end of the week with just one. That was with 100% PRP however. They also changed the bottles and I found a few times with the new plastic ones a bit of debris would get stuck in the opening and squeezing to free it, it would burst all over my face! The glass bottles were better.

                      The first time I went I had the consultation then got the blood drawn and drops the next day. The second time was easier as they knew me so I did it all on one day, but arrived the night before. There is a bus from the town centre to Vissum so that was all easy. I think the consultation was maybe another £100.
                      Thank you it sounds like it is a relatively straightforward process and reasonably priced too!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SAAG View Post

                        2. Reading on their site, it appears they do platelet-rich autologous serum? I used to be on regular 100% autologous serum... does anyone have links to some good articles comparing the pros/cons of the two?
                        I'm quoting myself hehe... but in case this is of interest to anyone else, I found some discussion on platelet-rich plasma vs. regular serum in the DEWS II report: http://www.tfosdewsreport.org/report...apy/147_36/en/

                        "Liu et al. compared the growth factor content of fresh frozen plasma and platelet releasate to that of serum and evaluated their effects on proliferation, migration and differentiation of corneal epithelial cells, in an in vitro system [237]. They found that the growth factor content was higher in platelet releasate than plasma or serum, with better cell proliferation, but that serum had better cellular migration and differentiation owing to its higher content of fibronectin and vitamins."

                        "Platelet Rich Plasma improves symptoms and signs of DED after laser in-situ keratomileusis (LASIK) [242]." <- of interest to anyone who has had LASIK

                        "However, the preparation is more complex and the beneficial effects and indications of using platelet-derived products over serum in the management of DED have not been addressed in the literature."

                        Yet another post-Lasik (2005)...
                        Anyone have a time machine so I can go back and undo this mess?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Meibum Ian View Post
                          Tried to PM you but seems you have that disabled..
                          Sorry about that - all fixed now, and I sent you a PM! Hopefully you'll see it!
                          Yet another post-Lasik (2005)...
                          Anyone have a time machine so I can go back and undo this mess?

                          Comment

                          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          Smile :) Biggrin :D Wink ;) Rolleyes :rolleyes: Tongue :p Cool :cool: Redface :o Confused :confused: Eek :eek: Frown :( Mad :mad:
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X