Muro 128 ointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muro 128 ointment

Hello Kakinda,..or someone else from Europe that might know... is Muro 128 ointment available in Europe? And if not...do we have something similar?

Toril
    Last edited by Toril; 22-Dec-2006, 16:57.

No, never heard of Muro 128 use in Europe. Most people I talked to about it were dystrophy sufferers (in the US) not exactly DE fellow sufferers.
    I believe it contains a salty solution not sure how that would be fit for my type of DE... for instance. However, DE treatments being somewhat empirical/individual who knows.
    As night ointment I use a Vitamine A, vaseline-based oitnement.
    When you come to Paris we may discuss that with Baudouin as well.
    What do you use at night (remind me)?
    Take care
    K

Comment

At night I use Celluvisc and Simplex ointment from Optha (containing vaseline and paraffin). I tried VitA-POS ointment from Ursapharm (containing 2 types of paraffin, lanolin (?), white vaseline and vit.A) and it felt a bit "softer" on the eye than Simplex. Last night I tried to sleep with celluvisc and googles (and no ointment),..but as always....I take my googles of in my sleep ....

I'll bring a list of questions to Dr. Baudouin....there are so many things I wonder if I do right or wrong when it comes to my eyes...

Toril

Comment

For my two cents here......I am a dystrophy dry eye sufferer, and Sjogrens dry eye sufferer, plus lasik. Not complaining, trying to be able to relate to everyone. LOL.

I'm not trying to "talk anyone into using Muro ointment." However, when I see someone who is desperate and in pain so bad they don't know what to do--buy a tube of Muro. It can take you to the point where you can get in to see your doc and sort out things. I've been told by my long-time ophth/lasik surgeon/cataract surgeon/dry eye guy that I should use this 4 x day during bad times. He also told me that I can use it indefinitely. I understand it draws moisture from the cornea. With all my problems, sometimes I just need RELIEF........ no matter how it's spelled. Unless I am obviously harming myself, I'll use Muro ointment. Now, if someone has any better ideas......I'm all ears.

It's like throwing someone a life-saver and the recipient not taking the device because it might be "dirty" or somehow not perfect. This is an over the counter product, requires no RX, and if someone has eyes burning like the blazes of a hotel fire, could provide relief. You can all debate the merits, or dangers later with your doctors. If you need something NOW and are in horrible pain, try the Muro. It might not work for you. I use it only when necessary, but am not afraid to when I feel the need. Now, that I'm thinking of it...I'd better find my tube of Muro 128 ointment.

Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Muro 128

According to a couple of Docs..Muro 128 solves the epithelial edema problem (temporarily)..But that might be long enuff to let the erosions heal..Very safe to use..I started it Dec 14th to deal with pain..using it at night..so far so good....(another 2 cents worth..)

Comment

More Muro info

Try looking for Sodium Chloride Opthalmic Ointment usp 5%...That is the generic version of Muro 128...(according to Mayo Clinic Pharmacy)

Comment

Ziggy, I have been using Muro ointment for almost 7 years. Not on a daily basis, but I always have a tube or two on hand. As I mentioned, it will help someone through a particularly difficult period when they don't know what else to do. They can talk with their doctors as soon as they can get an appointment to go over any long term ramifications. It does lubricate the eye and is not as "vaseliney" as Refresh PM or Lucrilube.

Lucy
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Salt?

Originally posted by ziggy
                Try looking for Sodium Chloride Opthalmic Ointment usp 5%...
                One thing I don't quite understand: We're talking about salt (sodium chloride), yes? Wouldn't that have a drying effect? How does this help dry eye?

Randal

Comment

I think it gets back to the concept of a waterlogged, damaged epithelium. The idea is you improve the integrity of a damaged epithelium by drawing out excess moisture, essentially compacting the epithelium. The high-oncotic pressure drops (Freshkote, Dwelle, Dakrina) function on a somewhat similar principle.

We have to remember that "dry eye" is so often a misnomer. The essence of the disease is a poor "preocular tear film" - which can be any combination of poor surface adherence and poor quality and/or quantity of goodies from the lacrimal and meibomian glands and goblet cells. You can have a lot of moisture around and still have "dry eye".
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                  X