Study on dry eye in cataract patients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study on dry eye in cataract patients

I thought I would share this study by researchers at the University of Miami published this month in the journal Cornea.

It shows that about 1/3 of people undergoing cataract surgeries still report significant levels of pain manifesting as dry eye-like symptoms 6 months after surgery. According to the researchers, this percentage is on par with laser refractive surgery, as well as other surgeries unrelated to the eyes. It's fascinating to me because cataract surgery doesn't cut corneal nerves when creating the LASIK flap which is known to cause dryness, but a lot of these patients experience dryness nevertheless.

For those of us experiencing post-LASIK complications in particular, it makes me appreciate that there really is no thing as a "safe" elective surgery (whatever doctors/FDA might say) and that we need to be prudent about subjecting our sensitive eyes and bodies to surgeries. Anyway, I just thought I'd share this study and see if others have reactions. Good luck everyone.

Thanks for sharing this recent study. Rebecca shared something similar a few months ago in her KeratoScoop e-mails. Having seen these types of studies, I am totally terrified of one day having to get cataract surgery, and never want something to push me back over the edge to severe debilitating dry eyes again. Am positive cataract surgery would do that to me, given my history and my current condition managing my dryness.

I have early cataracts, likely due to being on steroid drops on and off for several years during the 8+ years I struggled with dry eyes. But I will be holding off as long as I can from getting cataract surgery. I think I’d rather not be able to see, than go through all that discomfort again.

Please make sure every eye doctor you have is aware of your history with steroid eye drops...the types you’ve been on, dosage, when, and for how long. Many doctors only ask what current drops/meds you are on, not the history. Otherwise the cumulative effects of many types of steroid drops could result in future cataracts. I’m a prime example.

Comment

Sorry, did not mean to scare you! The article is certainly a warning that the risks of these surgeries are real and need to be carefully considered. I will definitely describe my history of steroid use with my doctor in the future. I also think my LASIK procedure makes me at higher risk of developing cataracts at an earlier age, so that's scary. Thankfully we don't have to cross that bridge yet!

Comment

Lol, you didn’t scare me! I was already concerned about future cataract surgery a few years ago when I was first diagnosed with early cataracts. These various studies I’ve been reading just confirmed my fears. Better to be aware than not!

Comment

Working...
        X