Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blurry vision after hot compress. Good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blurry vision after hot compress. Good or bad?

Hi all. Recently after using the hot compress my vision is all blurry when I take it off my eyes. I've just started using a steroid so assume this blurriness is good as means some oil is finally coming out my eyes? I know I have bad MGD. Last lipiview scan of the oil layer a few months ago was 30 so its basically not there...

I would say good sign, if you also feel great afterwards.
    Curious about the temperture, duration? as I can only feel oil flowing with 42-45C wet heat.
    I remember someone also got burry vision but with pain with temperature about 55C(?) which he realized later.
    Last edited by MGD1701; 30-Sep-2018, 11:56.

Comment

I've been using the Optrex eye mask the last few times whilst washing my bruder one. They are disposable and only get up to 39C for ten mins. To get the blurriness I give my eyes a very gentle rub by circling the mask whilst its on my eyes.

I have the steroid as a confocal showed I have nerve damage and in cases autologous serum and a steroid have been shown to help heal the nerves. I can't tell if the hot compress is helping as the nerve damage means my eyes feel very dry all the time even if they are not dry.

Comment

Hi Guest
        How do your eyes feel very dry even if they are not dry? how do you detect it? Dont get it??

nerve damage: any symptoms for such damge? dryness as you mentioned??

temperature: 39C for 10 min. should be ok as many MGD experts consider 45C is ok. Perhaps rubbing is the problem?

Rubbing eyes: Many doctors, including Dr Korb, say do not rub eyes.
        He does not recommend massage after compress but squeeze lids.

Comment

I get blurry vision but I think that's from the pressure of the compress temporarily warping the shape of the cornea. Seems to go away after a few minutes. Warm compresses never seem to help my blocked glands much, so I find them incredibly frustrating and vexing in general, but I still try to do them once or twice a week for their supposedly therapeutic properties. However a lot of people on the forums will tell you that blurry vision is a good sign because it means the oil is coming out of your glands, especially if you're using a steroid right now to stop the inflammation.

Comment

Hi diydry

How do you feel warm compress never seem to help your blocked glands much? just with feeling or with naked eyes?

I often feel microwaved masks like Bruder are too heavy which I dont like - I think this actually may not good for cornea??

burry vision is good only if your eyes are also feel good (ie not burning nor pain).

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
              Hi Guest
              How do your eyes feel very dry even if they are not dry? how do you detect it? Dont get it??

nerve damage: any symptoms for such damge? dryness as you mentioned??

temperature: 39C for 10 min. should be ok as many MGD experts consider 45C is ok. Perhaps rubbing is the problem?

Rubbing eyes: Many doctors, including Dr Korb, say do not rub eyes.
              He does not recommend massage after compress but squeeze lids.
              I think he’s saying that the nerve damage caused a dry eye sensation, even if he’s not dry. He saw on a confocal microscopy he had nerve damage. That’s the symptom...discomfort, regardless of dryness. Pedram Hamrah says serum without steroids is worthless because the nerves will not regenerate properly in the presence of inflammation.

Comment

Yes, my eyes get quite blurry after warm compress as well ... usually this can be a good sign , i.e., the (thick) oil is expressing out. Please remember to do blinking exercises immediately after warm compress to continue to express the oil!

Comment

Is it alright to use the warm compress with macular problems?

Comment

Working...
                  X