Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else feeling sad they can't wear contact lenses anymore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else feeling sad they can't wear contact lenses anymore?

Before my descent into dry eye h*** I wore contact lens (hard gas permeable) everyday for many years without any problems. I always cleaned them properly and made sure I wore my glasses in the evenings and weekends to give my eyes a break. I guess my mistake was wearing them to work as I stare at the computer all day long, still I always thought I would get LASIK once my eyes stabilised but now sadly this is now out of the question due to the poor state of my eyes.

When I first started having dry eye problems last year I always thought I would be able to get back to wearing my lenses, but now I can't imagine this being possible, my eyes burn non stop.

So I'm now stuck wearing thick glasses - my prescription is high. Whenever I look in the mirror I feel like this is not the real me, the worst is when I bump into people I haven't seen in a while and the look of surprise on their face and me having to explain what is happening.

I am not a vain person by any means and I suppose I should be grateful I am not going blind or anything but it is still seriously depressing.....

When I first was diagnosed I felt like I wanted to cry, but youíll soon come to accept it and it wonít feel so bad. Maybe try buying a trendier pair of glasses? Glasses can be cool youíve just got to find the right pair! I always take mine off when Iím in clubs and bars though

Comment

It's been almost a year now wearing these glasses, it is really hard to accept this is what I will look like for the rest of my life. If the burning stopped I would feel better for sure but it's the double whammy of being in pain and not looking myself which is unbearable. Trying to stay positive though thank you for your kind words

Comment

I completely understand what youíre saying. To be fair, over the past 10 years contact lenses have been designed so that they are less drying and damaging to the eye. Who knows maybe in a few years theyíll bring out some really high quality contact lenses that even people with dry eyes can tolerate!

Comment

Have you tried Alcon Dailies Total 1? They're water gradient lenses. I couldn't tolerate contacts either and decided to get PRK surgery back in 2013..fast forward to now and my dry eye situation is much worse but I'm actually able to tolerate these lenses for hours at a time.

I only have a slight prescription now (about -0.50), however I wear these lenses because they act almost like a Scleral lense in that they keep my cornea moist and protect my cornea from wind and A/C units. I still put in artificial tears every 30 minutes with these but my overall comfort is greatly improved, especially in social situations.

Here's a link to their website. A 90 pack costs around $80 with my local optometrist, but you should be able to ask them for a couple pairs of trial lenses to see if they work for you.
          https://www.dailies.com/contact-lenses/dailies-total1/
          Last edited by Glucoa; 06-Dec-2018, 14:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Glucoa View Post
            Have you tried Alcon Dailies Total 1? They're water gradient lenses. I couldn't tolerate contacts either and decided to get PRK surgery back in 2013..fast forward to now and my dry eye situation is much worse but I'm actually able to tolerate these lenses for hours at a time.

I only have a slight prescription now (about -0.50), however I wear these lenses because they act almost like a Scleral lense in that they keep my cornea moist and protect my cornea from wind and A/C units. I still put in artificial tears every 30 minutes with these but my overall comfort is greatly improved, especially in social situations.

Here's a link to their website. A 90 pack costs around $80 with my local optometrist, but you should be able to ask them for a couple pairs of trial lenses to see if they work for you.
            https://www.dailies.com/contact-lenses/dailies-total1/
            Hi thank you for your suggestion, yes I have tried these, as well as about 10 other different soft contact lens on a trial basis, but even these ones which are supposed to be the best ones on the market made my eyes bloodshot and feeling very dry after only about 20 mins. The extended wear ones which doctors use as a bandage also had the same effect.

I have an appointment set up for scleral lens fitting as I need the burning to stop but I am afraid my eyes will not be able to tolerate these either.
            Am trying to stay optimistic.
            Last edited by Alix; 06-Dec-2018, 15:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post

Hi thank you for your suggestion, yes I have tried these, as well as about 10 other different soft contact lens on a trial basis, but even these ones which are supposed to be the best ones on the market made my eyes bloodshot and feeling very dry after only about 20 mins. The extended wear ones which doctors use as a bandage also had the same effect.

I have an appointment set up for scleral lens fitting as I need the burning to stop but I am afraid my eyes will not be able to tolerate these either.
              Am trying to stay optimistic.
              Ahh bummer. Yes, I hope you have success with Scleral lenses as many others here have had!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Biggrin :D Wink ;) Rolleyes :rolleyes: Tongue :p Cool :cool: Redface :o Confused :confused: Eek :eek: Frown :( Mad :mad:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X