Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What caused my FES (floppy eyelid syndrome)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What caused my FES (floppy eyelid syndrome)

I have been getting into a lot of literature on the topic of FES. It’s interesring to me how this happened. So let’s talk about what I’ve read. This paper I’m about to post, discusses a few studies on FES, possible causes and the best treatment options.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...yndrome_Review

one of the interesting findings is how your diet can subsequently cause cause FES. Most FES patients are obese. That’s because hyperglycemia and hyperleptinemia are more common in obese people, because they’re eating very poorly. Excessive carbohydrates, excessive food at each meal, it’s thriwijg off that persons hormones. Having high fasting blood sugar and large amounts of Leptin in the blood stream, seem to upregukate MMP7 and MMP9 inflammatory markers. So that right there proves diet plays a huge role in this.

However, for me, this is extremely insidious. Yes I ate a lot of food, I force fed myself clean food for years thinking this was healthy. But weather you’re gaining 50pbs of fat or 50 pbs of muscle, you’re still putting stress on the heart, lungs, etc. you actually put mire stress on the heart with muscle than fat, some would argue gaining that much muscle is actually worse because it requires a blood supply. I digress...I’m realizing it didn’t matter that I ate clean. I still forced food, mantaned increased blood sugar levels for along time, 10+ years which ultimately increased my Leptin leve”s, made my apnea worse and subsequently caused the floppy eyelids. For me, because I’m not obese, it’s hard to see I’m eating so bad. I never got fat, I had veins in my stomach and I could eat an entire apple pie after a workout every single day and not get fat. God I wish I would have got fat, it would have signaled me to stop eating like that. But I thought, my body is using it, I’m lifting weights, I’m fine. Very stupid thought.

In my humble opinion, this is partially genetic. I have had apnea since I was two years old. At 5, my mother removed my tonsils, which helped. But as soon as I started eating heavily for bodybuilding, I began creating this monster. I basically gave my body the ability to unlock this genetic issue. Once I caused an imbalance in my hormones, the inflammation started attacking the collagen in my eyelids. I had light sensitivity and mucus for about 4 years before I got the abrasion that set off this immune response. I was turning the brightness down on my phone. I was constantly scratching and runnng my eyes, I thought I had allergies. I’m now realizing I had minor chronic papillary conjunctivitis probably this whole time. Then when I was met with environmental triggers, my cat, perfume, smoke, etc, I would itch and burn. Again, thinking I had allergies. But no, I had FES and the irritation behind the lid was just overly sensitive to those noxious stimuli.

its clear that these hormonal changes and inflammation change the palate and the eyelids by making them more lax. When the palate becomes soft, you can develop obstructive sleep apnea. That flap in the back of your throat hangs and onbstruct your airway because it’s ekastic now. Once you increase blood oxygen levels, once you prevent mechanical running, lower blood sugar levels, you can possibly reverse the floppy eyelid and get rid of the chronic conjunctivitis. So I’m hopeful that if I treat the apnea with a cpap, if I get my blood sugars down, I can heal this and possibly live a somewhat normal life. I’ll clearly document my progress. I just felt it was important to shed light on this subject because MMP9 upregukation effects us all. If we can eat better and become less dependent on drugs like doxy, that would be great.

Yesterday my blood sugar fasting was 108, that is very very bad. So I didn’t eat for 23 hours yesterday. It took 21.5 hours for my blood sugar to go from 108 to 98. Then I ate 4 eggs, 2 sprouted grain toast and 2 Canadian back and a bunch of shelled peanuts. I’ll do the same today until my blood sugars are below 100 fasting. I’m going to eat ZERO sugar or processed foods. I realize I have to do this to heal. I’ll check my blood sugar soon. I’m going to try and start working out again, but right now my main goal is getting my hormones back on track. The cpap will help that too. Disrupted sleep can actually raise glucose levels in the blood 10 points. So I have a plan. I just wanted to explain my thought and document the process as per usual.
Working...
X