IPL/Lipiflow with tattoo and plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPL/Lipiflow with tattoo and plugs

I've been excited about trying IPL for my MGD, but I've discovered you can't use it in the presence of tattoos! This is super disappointing as I have eyeliner tattoo on my upper and lower lids. I looked into lipiflow and couldn't find anything about using it around a tattoo, but the manufacture advises it can loosen punctal plugs. Didn't find anything regarding IPL and the presence of plugs.

Maybe blephasteam is my only other option, assuming that its safe with a tattoo and plugs? I couldn't find anything about those combinations. Has anyone read or been told what the risks are or what the safest options are?

As far as IPL goes, my guess is that it is not safe as the pigment of the tattoo would be targeted by the pulsed light. People with darker skin cannot use IPL safely for the same reason.

Comment

Meibum Ian is right about IPL not recommended when one has tatoo eyeliner and darker skin because it is drawn to the darker pigment. I have olive skin (although very fair), as well as a very light permanent eyeliner, and IPL was not an option for those reasons.

However I did have LipiFlow with my plugs, and it was fine, but this procedure did not work for me. Best to make sure they are aware you have plugs as well as the eyeliner before they do the LipiFlow procedure.

Comment

Working...
      X