Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can systemic antibiotics worsen meibum quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can systemic antibiotics worsen meibum quality?

I was diagnosed with MGD in 2014, after I damaged my right eye and started to experience menthol sensation and dry eye in it. Initially I was sceptical about MGD because I didn't quite feel enough discomfort on the other eye to be concerned. I felt some symptoms in left eye but they were minor, while the right eye was in completely different level (worse). But it generally was evaporative. While I was in panic trying to initially find out what happened with the right eye, I gone through multiple unfortunate events with my eyes, including conjunctivitis after the eye damage, multiple antibiotic and other drops during multiple weeks, and a horrible eye allergy to anesthetical eye drops. All in all, it brought my eyes to a pretty bad condition and that's when I started to notice a white foam forming in the outer corners of both eyes (more on that later).

I was prescribed with warm compresses and self-massage, but I never mastered compresses and never quite felt they do anything except irritating my eyes (though after the hot shower or the sauna I frequently felt relief). The right eye gradually became better by itself, and at the end I generally did nothing to manage dry eye and MGD, except of a non-preservative drops in the right eye once before going to bed. Until now.

Recently, and quite abruptly, the condition of my eyes changed (mid-March). The right eye was brought back to where it was in my worst days - quite unbearable to do any screen time, and pretty bad being outside or in dry environments. And also I started to feel my left eye while walking outside. That was like a systemic effect, when the both eyes started to evaporate drastically faster, so that my right eye became a mess, and my left eye became very noticeable - the increased evaporation happened evenly and "in parallel" in both eyes. And also I started to notice that white foam in the outer corners of both eyes again.

I then started to research intensively and realised pretty fast what kind of beast (MGD) I'm dealing with. I read quite a lot here on forums and watched Dr. Korb's talks and now I have quite good understanding of the importance of MGD management. But also I wondered why the current change with my eyes happened so fast? I couldn't get my glands suddenly and evenly blocked/atrophied in parallel in both eyes - right? Again, it looked like some systemic reason that caused increased evaporation, and probably this reason affected the quality of my meibum. And then I found this: https://youtu.be/IJnFsPffN6I?t=3488 - Dr. Korb talking about saponification of tears and stating that the reason of it is meibum not being right quality.

So I started to think what might cause this and suddenly recalled that approximately half-month ago I ended the antibiotics treatment for pneumonia - I initially took Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid (1000 mg) for 7 days, and then I took Azithromycin 500 mg for 3 days (the last day was Match, 1; and I started to feel dry eye symptoms approx. on March 18-21). The more I was surprised when I found out that Azithromycin actually used to treat MGD...

So the question is: could antibiotics cause this? Or it is just some sudden change in my system... I ate as usual, did everything as usual, except antibiotics. I already got Omega 3 and planning to start using in to test its efficiency (I think I'm the very right candidate for it, and in the very right spot). BTW, I read here on forums one person with MGD stated that topical or systemic antibiotics always made him worse with a recovery for up to 8 month...
    Last edited by Andrey_V; 08-Apr-2019, 07:21.

There are no studies yet to conclude that antibiotics can damage meibomian or lacrimal glands especially azithromycin. It's just the opposite. Azithromycin has been proven to benefit MGD or AD through its systemic anti inflammatory effect.

Comment

I'm talking more of the lipids inside the glands... The glands themselves might not be damaged, but meibum/lipids they produce may change its composition, and it may mean some systemic problem (problem with general health, like reduced sebum after Isotretinoin treatment), or some side effect from something (I didn't taken anything unusual except antibiotics at that time)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey_V View Post
        I'm talking more of the lipids inside the glands... The glands themselves might not be damaged, but meibum/lipids they produce may change its composition, and it may mean some systemic problem (problem with general health, like reduced sebum after Isotretinoin treatment), or some side effect from something (I didn't taken anything unusual except antibiotics at that time)
        Again it's the opposite. Several studies showed that azithromycin actually improved the quality of meibum composition that improved tear film stability. On the other hand drugs like Accutane can seriously alter the meibum composition on a permanent basis.

Have you been on Accutane before?

Comment

No, thank God I wasn't. Though I seriously considered it, as well as LASIK (I guess my permanent right eye damage saved me from even worse harm). But yeah, probably it's not antibiotics because I should've started to feel these effects earlier, but not 2 weeks after - that sounds logical...

Comment

Another crazy thought: antibiotics killed some microorganisms (local or inside a gut), which caused a breakage of a balance and caused some other species overgrowth, which in turn changed the lipid secretions quality (the skin is populated with different species like demodex, staph, malassezia, etc., and something can be in glands too, not mentioning the gut). Actually, I have seborrheic dermatitis (malassezia), and probably demodex (apparently not causing any problems)... That explains why the effect was not immediate - overgrowth was gradual as well as its effect

Comment

Another crazy thought: antibiotics killed some microorganisms (local or inside a gut), which caused a breakage of a balance and caused some other species overgrowth, which in turn changed the lipid secretions quality (the skin is populated with different species like demodex, staph, malassezia, etc., and something can be in glands too, not mentioning the gut). Actually, I have seborrheic dermatitis (malassezia), and probably demodex (apparently not causing any problems)... That explains why the effect was not immediate - overgrowth was gradual as well as its effect
              Well by that logic every 7 out of 10 people on earth should be having Meibomian Gland Dysfunction since most people have taken antibiotics at some point in their lives. I haven't come across a person who reported dry eye symptoms even on a temporary basis after taking antibiotics.

Comment

It seems highly unlikely that antibiotics are behind this, I believe that it is just a coincidence.
                As well all know unfortunately dry eye is a chronic and progressive disease, so it could be this that you are facing, alternatively it could be something else.

Have you started doing something else different recently like stopping/starting other medication? Have humidity levels fallen where you live?

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post
                  Have you started doing something else different recently like stopping/starting other medication? Have humidity levels fallen where you live?
                  No, I haven't - that's the whole point. The change was so prompt and drastic that I was quite surprised, considering I literally had no lifestyle changes at all. Also, I'm monitoring humidity at my place for years - recently it only increased if anything. The only thing I know for sure is that it is something systemic, and probably related to lipid quality/quantity, because the change was equal on both eyes and I guess only systemic reasons could cause such even changes (in other words, not the changes with specific meibomian glands themselves, because they couldn't all equally degrade at the same time evenly)

Comment

I will get my hands on Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega 3 shortly and will use 5 pills per day. We'll see how it goes, but I have doubt it will help me. Then - Nordic Naturals Nordic GLA waiting next in the list. Also, compresses - I even bought a microwave for them, but again if it's a lipid quality to blame then compress won't help much...

Comment

I will get my hands on Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega 3 shortly and will use 5 pills per day. We'll see how it goes, but I have doubt it will help me. Then - Nordic Naturals Nordic GLA waiting next in the list. Also, compresses - I even bought a microwave for them, but again if it's a lipid quality to blame then compress won't help much...
                      My current treatment regime is Omega 3 (Nordic Naturals), GLA (HydroEye), Restasis, Xiidra, and monthly IPL. I do not think 1 item contributed to my improvements, but the combination of all. I've gone from being bedridden to back working 10+ hrs a day in front of computer.

Give the supplements a try, it might take several months. Continue to give the pharmaceutical therapy a try, which includes Azithromycin, Xiidra and Restasis. Consider IPL as well.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
                        Consider IPL as well.
                        Yeah, too bad there is no IPL (at least ophthalmological) where I live (Russia). Actually here is probably nothing I need - no meibography, no LipiFlow, etc.

Today I was in sauna and currently I'm sitting 2 hours straight in front of a computer (with moisture chambers, but still). Before I started to feel unbearable even after 15 minutes, and I feel and see oil flowing in front of my cornea...

Comment

Yeah, too bad there is no IPL (at least ophthalmological) where I live (Russia). Actually here is probably nothing I need - no meibography, no LipiFlow, etc.

Today I was in sauna and currently I'm sitting 2 hours straight in front of a computer (with moisture chambers, but still). Before I started to feel unbearable even after 15 minutes, and I feel and see oil flowing in front of my cornea...
                          Try and get on 40mg doxy then for 1 month, or dose azithomycin every other day after loading dose for 2 wks.

Comment

I will consider it. But sauna gives me relief for up to 24 hours or more. So I'm looking forward to warm compresses (I didn't receive my laser thermometer and washcloths yet).

I think I found out what happened (sort of). It seems like the whole system oil production was reduced. I realised it when I saw reduced inflammation on my chest - I have seb derm and I had inflamed region on my chest where a lot of sebum was produced (and as people with seb derm know, the inflamation is caused by allergic reaction to overgrowth of yeast in the sebum, so more sebum, more yeast, more inflamation). Right after my eyes suddenly got worse I noticed that this inflamed region on my chest suddenly almost gone. That means less "oil" is currently produced by the whole body, not just glands, which confirms my observations and gut feelings.

What interesting is that, in my case, Omega 3 is not doing anything: I'm taking 3+ g daily for almost a week (5 pills of Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega 3) and even if there is some improvement (which I highly doubt) - it is very minor, almost neglectable. I think I will not bother with GLA, as it affects aqua and not oil (maybe this is a huge mistake and in my case it might actually "do something" and work). Actually I'm sort of glad of it, because this Omega 3 is very expensive (to take it in such high dosages, and in general)...

Comment

Compress update:

I did them for 10 minutes, felt short and weak relief. May try for longer...

Also foaming: it happened and in quite high volume (comparing to usual). I noticed it after an hour, after compress. So I think my meibum is indeed foaming, and probably has "wrong" quality, as Dr. Korb described. I'm not sure for quantity though, considering I recently found out I have suddenly reduced sebaceous glands production on my whole body

Comment

Working...
                              X