Update - PRP drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update - PRP drops

So I went to see Professor Alio at the Vissum Clinic in Alicante, I think it's the best decision I have made since the start of my eye problems 16 months ago.

He was genuinely interested in finding the cause of the burning pain in my left eye, as was his team of doctors/optometrists, it is an exceptional place.

Meibography showed my glands were normal - they said I was Grade 0-1. I saw on the screen myself that all my glands were there and were at full length except for one which was at 80%. This was pretty shocking as when I had Lipiview last summer in London, we saw that 50% of my glands had atrophied while most of the rest were dormant. At the time I was told I was Grade 3-4 on the MGD scale. So I do not know what happened in the meantime, I hadn't been doing anything in particular except wiping my lid margins religiously with tea tree oil, which I stopped last month when I was told I didn't have blepharitis. Whilst I am glad/surprised my glands have returned back to normal, the burning sensation in my left eye has remained the same as ever so I am confused more than anything.

Keratograph showed tear meniscus height was average. Schirmers test results were 18mm in right eye, 13mm in left.

My corneas are healthy, there is no staining.

Professor Alio told me I have ocular surface disease and that I was a classic case of someone whose symptoms are disproportionate to the signs.

To address the burning pain and inflammation, he injected the steroid trigon-depot in my left eyelid and told me to use PRP drops for 6 weeks. He was confident that the burning will be gone after that, so let’s see.

So far nothing has changed in terms of pain since starting on the PRP, my left eye is still burning non stop. However the redness has gone - my sclera are white since returning to the UK and have remained so since, which is something to be positive about.

I am keeping my expectations low as usual. I'll post an update in a couple of weeks time.

Originally posted by Alix View Post
    Meibography showed my glands were normal - they said I was Grade 0-1. I saw on the screen myself that all my glands were there and were at full length except for one which was at 80%. This was pretty shocking as when I had Lipiview last summer in London, we saw that 50% of my glands had atrophied while most of the rest were dormant. At the time I was told I was Grade 3-4 on the MGD scale. So I do not know what happened in the meantime, I hadn't been doing anything in particular except wiping my lid margins religiously with tea tree oil, which I stopped last month when I was told I didn't have blepharitis. Whilst I am glad/surprised my glands have returned back to normal, the burning sensation in my left eye has remained the same as ever so I am confused more than anything.
    There could be two possibilities:

1. The earlier lipiview results were faulty.

2. Your glands regenerated back. I really think they did.
    ​​​​​​
    In either case I am very happy for you.

How long have you been on PRP now?

Have you got the right fit for your scleral lenses yet?

Hoping to recieve some really positive results soon!

Comment

Thank you Milo! I thought this as well at first but I truly do not believe the Lipiview results were faulty as I had this done at the Dry Eye Centre. I rate this place very highly. The domant glands must have come "alive" again for some reason, and the truncated ones must have regenerated also for unknown reasons. It really is a mystery.

To answer your question, I've only been using the PRP drops for a couple of days so it is still too early to judge I suppose.

As for the sclerals I've put this on hold for now, as I want to see if the pain will stop with the use of PRP drops only.

I'm going back to Vissum in 6 weeks time for a check up. If the pain hasn't stopped, Professor Alio said there is the option of injecting PRP directly into my eyelid but he said that is for the very worst cases, and I am very far from this.

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post
        Thank you Milo! I thought this as well at first but I truly do not believe the Lipiview results were faulty as I had this done at the Dry Eye Centre. I rate this place very highly. The domant glands must have come "alive" again for some reason, and the truncated ones must have regenerated also for unknown reasons. It really is a mystery.

To answer your question, I've only been using the PRP drops for a couple of days so it is still too early to judge I suppose.

As for the sclerals I've put this on hold for now, as I want to see if the pain will stop with the use of PRP drops only.

I'm going back to Vissum in 6 weeks time for a check up. If the pain hasn't stopped, Professor Alio said there is the option of injecting PRP directly into my eyelid but he said that is for the very worst cases, and I am very far from this.
        Keep us updated!

Super glad for your progress!

Comment

Alio is good but after talking to a few people he tends to tell them they have nothing wrong with their glands even if they do. I was told my oil production was normal by him but my oil layer thickness is 30, far from the 'normal' level of around 100!

So even though your glands are not shortened in length you may still have bad MGD, hence the burning, or have developed a form of corneal neuropathy. PRP or autologous serum can take up to a year to help with corneal neuropathy and top doctors in the US recommend using a weekly steroid in conjunction.

Comment

Congratulations Alix. Seems there is a mircle. Just wondering

Did you have the image report taken by LipiView and really 50% loss?

Treatment you did after LipiView
            I know you did x4 IPL without expression?
            Ikervis (how long) - still using it?
            doxy (how long)

Inflammation
            How did Professor Alio examine your inflammation? Did he also take Osmolarity test, MMP-9?

Cong. again.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
              Alio is good but after talking to a few people he tends to tell them they have nothing wrong with their glands even if they do. I was told my oil production was normal by him but my oil layer thickness is 30, far from the 'normal' level of around 100!

So even though your glands are not shortened in length you may still have bad MGD, hence the burning, or have developed a form of corneal neuropathy. PRP or autologous serum can take up to a year to help with corneal neuropathy and top doctors in the US recommend using a weekly steroid in conjunction.
              He never said there was nothing wrong with my glands. He was just stating facts, they are all full length except for one.
              I was only given 6 weeks worth of PRP drops because he thinks I will be pain/inflammation free in that time. Anyway let's see...

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                Congratulations Alix. Seems there is a mircle. Just wondering

Did you have the image report taken by LipiView and really 50% loss?

Treatment you did after LipiView
                I know you did x4 IPL without expression?
                Ikervis (how long) - still using it?
                doxy (how long)

Inflammation
                How did Professor Alio examine your inflammation? Did he also take Osmolarity test, MMP-9?

Cong. again.
                I don't have the image report, but yes it was 50% gland loss.

I had 2 x IPL with gland expression afterwards. No improvement in symptoms or signs.
                I used Ikervis for 2 months but stopped after that as I wasn't seeing any change.
                Doxy, I cant remember but no more than 2 weeks, I developed huge gut problems.

I was at the Vissum Clinic for 4 hours in total, they did all kinds of tests, I don't know if they did the ones you mention.

He did say though that there was inflammation, hence the PRP drops. But congratulations are not in order, I am still in burning pain.
                The only difference I can see is that my sclera are white in both eyes for the first time in 16 months, which is positive, but all I want is to be pain free.

Comment

What about TBUT? Also, how much it costs to make such visit to Vissum Clinic?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey_V View Post
                    What about TBUT? Also, how much it costs to make such visit to Vissum Clinic?
                    They never mentioned my TBUT. They tried to measure it on the Keratograph machine but I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough without blinking so I have a feeling they could not get an accurate result. I will ask next time I am there but I am sure they will say it is low. I've seen no less than 10 ophthalmologists here in London in the past 16 months and they've all said my TBUT is abnormal.

The appointment at Vissum was about 180 euros, and I paid about 200 euros for the PRP drops. Of course you then have to factor in hotels and flights but they are cheap. For me it was well worth it as I am not prepared to pay 1000 pounds for 6 weeks worth of serum drops which is how much they cost here in the UK.

Comment

Hi, I have a similar theory. You might have had (and still have mild) MGD. While your MGD was more severe in the past, it damaged your nerves. When your nerves got damaged, consequently, it's taking longer to heal. i.e., the underlying disease was improved, but your nerves were damaged and it's taking longer to recover to symptom free. Have hope and more encouragement! I believe in the PRP will help you heal the nerves.

I still suspect you might have mild MGD and you should still pursue treatments in that direction to control and improve the underlying disease (i.e., Xiidra, Restasis and IPL).

Please keep us posted as you progress! I wish I had access to PRP as well.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
                        Hi, I have a similar theory. You might have had (and still have mild) MGD. While your MGD was more severe in the past, it damaged your nerves. When your nerves got damaged, consequently, it's taking longer to heal. i.e., the underlying disease was improved, but your nerves were damaged and it's taking longer to recover to symptom free. Have hope and more encouragement! I believe in the PRP will help you heal the nerves.

I still suspect you might have mild MGD and you should still pursue treatments in that direction to control and improve the underlying disease (i.e., Xiidra, Restasis and IPL).

Thank you, yes this sounds logical. On my report from the Vissum Clinic, it says Diagnosis: Ocular Surface Disease (both eyes), which I believe encompasses MGD.

For PRP you could possibly pop across the border to get them or is it too far? You just need to keep them below 8 degrees celsius which is doable as long as you have an ice box, and you are not travelling for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

I believe the Mitchell Eye Care Centre in Calgary prescribes PRP...it’s the only place in Canada that I’m aware of.

Comment

Hey Alix
                            Did Prof identify the root causes for your constant burning pain? Does such pain occur daily or on and off?

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                              Hey Alix
                              Did Prof identify the root causes for your constant burning pain? Does such pain occur daily or on and off?
                              He asked alot of questions. There is burning pain in my left eye all the time, daily, 24/7, which gets worse in air conditioned/low humidity conditions, but doesn't improve much when there is high humidity.

Comment

Working...
                              X