Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was taking 2360mg Nordic Natural Fish Oil - My test results said I had low Omega 3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was taking 2360mg Nordic Natural Fish Oil - My test results said I had low Omega 3s

Hi there,

This is for basically anyone on this site, I'm hoping this information might help someone.

I'd been taking 2,360 mg (2 capsules of Ultimate Omega) daily for many months. Before that I was taking Theratears Fish Oil (I also found that to be a good one) and before that I'd tried many other brands and generics (didn't feel any difference with those). I've found Nordic Naturals and Theratears to be the best for me so far. *As a disclaimer, with Nordic Naturals or TheraTears I do feel some improvement in my condition, but only a little bit, maybe 5-10%, which is still something so I will continue to do it. My condition is/was extremely severe, drops about 250x per day at my worst. I've been diagnosed inconsistently with many different things, I don't know what's true anymore: blepharitis, MGD, ocular rosacea, legopthalmous, 'nerve damage', no nerve damage, sicca syndrome, and more.

Anyway, out of desperation I decided to see a 'Functional Medicine' doctor and went through a bunch of testing and went on a new diet (auto-immune protocol). The test results revealed that I had low Omega levels which I thought was incredibly ironic considering how much I'd been taking all along.

A few things might be impacting this. I had a cholecystectomy about 10 years ago now at 18 y/o. The gallbladder helps with digesting fats so that might be one issue.

Another is timing of when taking the Omegas. I used to take them willy-nilly without food in the morning - sometimes I'd take them all at once, sometimes one at a time throughout the day, sometimes with food, sometimes without. It's best to take them with food, separated throughout the day, in conjunction with a probiotic and a digestive enzyme. If someone told me to do so before I'd been tested I would have that that would be over-kill, but after being so surprised by my test results, I now am very careful about taking them. I'm going to be re-tested soon so I'll update to let you know if this process is working!

Anyway, let us know if there's an even better Omega 3 that you've found, or what you do to help actually absorb the pills you're popping.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Thanks Jessy for sharing this.

Please update us. I have been taking omega 3 for many month. Not sure if they are helping or not.

Comment

I am unfamiliar with the precision and variance of the Omega 3 test. It might be worthwhile to goto another lab and get it tested again. i.e., I know the Testosterone is very easy to get wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
        I am unfamiliar with the precision and variance of the Omega 3 test. It might be worthwhile to goto another lab and get it tested again. i.e., I know the Testosterone is very easy to get wrong.
        I am contemplating to get my serum testosterone and DHT checked to rule out any possibility of androgen insufficiency.

Any tips on how to get the test results accurately?
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

I am contemplating to get my serum testosterone and DHT checked to rule out any possibility of androgen insufficiency.

Any tips on how to get the test results accurately?
          ​​​​​​
          Your doctor should know which labs to use -- every lab is calibrated differently and each doctor have their own preference. They will give you proper instruction including doing it early in the morning.

Comment

@ebi1368, I will, as soon as I redo testing. What type of fish oil do you take? Do you take it with food? Do you take extra mg? I should have mentioned that after those tests I now take one extra pill in addition to the 2360mg.

Comment

I take Systane Omega 3. I take 3 pill every day, It has 1000 mg omega 3.

I used to take it at different time throuhout the day but now I take 3 pills together. Sometimes with food sometimes just by itself. I am not sure if they are doing anything for me.

Comment

Working...
              X