Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stubborn ocular rosacea in one eye only

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stubborn ocular rosacea in one eye only

    Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had experience with rosacea that just will not go away?

    I’ve had MGD/Bleph for many years, but just over a year ago my right eye went bright red, weeping, goopy and gritty, and my eyelids would be stuck every morning.

    At first I though (as did doctor) that it was conjunctivitis. But I have since been diagnosed with rosacea. Now, I’ve been told this before over the years, but this is different. I’ve been on doxycycline to keep it from flaring up and tried a long list of steroidal and antibiotic eye drops, wipes and warm compresses. But if I stop either the doxycycline or heavy regime of drops for even a couple of days, then the eye just goes fire-engine red again. The ophthalmologists are also a little baffled as to why it’s only in one eye!

    I’ve also had 3 sessions of IPL here in London. And I have just embarked on the AIP diet, so we’ll see if that has any effect.

    Has anyone had experience of stubborn ocular rosacea that lasted a long time, before they managed to overcome it?

    Thanks

    David



  • #2
    The asymmetry is atypical -- on the bright side at least it's not both of your eyes!

    I would definitely give several rounds of IPL a try (minimum 4-6). Make sure they do both the upper and lower lids.

    Comment


    • #3
      What does IPL actually do in regards to blepharitis?

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Jack, from what i understand IPL can tackle the underlying inflammation – for people with Rosacea it "shrinks the blood vessels supplying the inflammatory markers to the lid."

        And in theory if you address the inflammation it should help your MGD and Blepharitis.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by david2404 View Post
          Hi Jack, from what i understand IPL can tackle the underlying inflammation – for people with Rosacea it "shrinks the blood vessels supplying the inflammatory markers to the lid."

          And in theory if you address the inflammation it should help your MGD and Blepharitis.
          thanks. apparently I have rosacea in my right eye. hope IPL helps

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jack1988 View Post

            thanks. apparently I have rosacea in my right eye. hope IPL helps
            do u trust the dr? rosacea is sometimes hard to identify and diagnose -- its possible u have it in both eyes, just more prominent in one eye.

            Comment


            • #7
              For me, the issue is only the right eye, which goes bright red and gloopy (and this will flare up within two days after stopping doxycycline). Now whether it is as a result of Rosacea I'm not sure. Doctors have given me conflicting diagnosis. I have MGD/Bleph in both eyes (and light sensitivity) but it's only the right that flares up and goes red.

              The IPL had no noticeable effect (I only had three rounds as the doc advised if it was having no effect it wasn't worth continuing).

              Comment


              • #8
                What energy level did your dr use for IPL, what is your skin type, and did you do both upper and lower lids. IPL has been shown to be quite effective for ocular rosacea.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

                  do u trust the dr? rosacea is sometimes hard to identify and diagnose -- its possible u have it in both eyes, just more prominent in one eye.
                  Not really. he said- "Rosacea facies with mild erythema and telangiectasia.
                  Blepharitis with lid notching, dried lipid on gland orifices, lid telangiectasia, cloudy mebium on expression in both eyes
                  Punctal plug in situ right lower eyelid
                  ."

                  maybe IPL will work. I already use Avenova daily, drink green with lemon and take 200mg of Omega 3!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jack1988 View Post

                    Not really. he said- "Rosacea facies with mild erythema and telangiectasia.
                    Blepharitis with lid notching, dried lipid on gland orifices, lid telangiectasia, cloudy mebium on expression in both eyes
                    Punctal plug in situ right lower eyelid
                    ."

                    maybe IPL will work. I already use Avenova daily, drink green with lemon and take 200mg of Omega 3!
                    200mg is not a lot, i was taking closer to 3000mg.

                    IPL should help definitely if u see lid telangiectasia -- should clear up the secretions as well.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

                      200mg is not a lot, i was taking closer to 3000mg.

                      IPL should help definitely if u see lid telangiectasia -- should clear up the secretions as well.
                      How does ipl help make the oil quality improve?/is that what you mean by secretions?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
                        What energy level did your dr use for IPL, what is your skin type, and did you do both upper and lower lids. IPL has been shown to be quite effective for ocular rosacea.
                        I'm Irish, and I know rosacea is fairly common in fair Celtic skin. But I wouldn't say the skin on my face is noticeably red really.

                        I don't know how strong the IPL was. But it was definitely intense. And I speak as someone who doesn't have much of an issue with (reasonable) pain.

                        Comment

                        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Smile :) Biggrin :D Wink ;) Rolleyes :rolleyes: Tongue :p Cool :cool: Redface :o Confused :confused: Eek :eek: Frown :( Mad :mad:
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x

                        Unconfigured PHP Module

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X

                        Debug Information