This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini scleral lens vs. PROSE

I wear Boston PROSE lenses. My dry eye doctor today informed me there are other options. As traveling to a Boston Foundation office is expensive and time -consuming, I am inquiring about these other options. I spoke with an eye doctor who is fitting these mini scleral lenses. I have an appt. scheduled for a consult. She is a local doctor, so I would save all that air travel and hotel expense if I can be treated locally.
    Has anyone had experience with what's called the "mini scleral" lens?

Hi Izer, I indeed have. I guess there are different brands and models of mini-scleral lenses and I've been trying to get a good fit where I can wear them for 12 hours without redness or pain. We've modified them, got new lenses, etc multiple times...and still persisting (it's been three years now).

They are good, I can't feel them in my eyes much, but after 4 to 6 hours the eyes get sore, even with drops. I don't want to discourage you, many have got the best fit at the first attempt, and that could be you But if I was to turn back the clock three years from now, I would have gone to BFS, esp whilst Dr. Rosenthal was still working there. And the flight for me is from Australia, but from what I've been through it would have been worth it to avoid the endless modifications of lenses (and 3 hours trip to get there).

Comment

Do you know, what is the difference between the mini and PROSE? I'm assuming by the name, the mini's are smaller, don't go as far onto the scleral of the eye. From your years of experience, do you think a larger lens, like PROSE, would solve the problem? I've been doing some research and there is another eye doctor in my area who says she can fit PROSE, not the Boston version, but another PROSE lens made by another lab on the East Coast. This is all new to me, as I've always thought there was only one option for these type of lenses.
      I have absolutely no problem with the Boston Foundation, they are wonderful; do everything possible to fit a lens. They certainly made a big difference in my life. But like any lens, the patient has to go back for a minimum of yearly checkup's. For me, the checkups are expensive. In the beginning, my insurance paid for everything. I'm on Medicare now and they don't pay for anything.

So I will check out the mini-sclerals and hope they work for me. You've been through alot, I'm sorry you are having so many problems. I wish you could have access to another lab. One of the eye doctors told me there are about 6 labs in the US making the scleral lenses.

Comment

Hi Izer, interestingly, the most common diameter of the PROSE lens from BFS is 18mm which is basically the same width as a mini-scleral lens. Mini-scleral lens go from 14mm-18mm ... however, if your eye needs it, they can can increase the width.
        So definately check the mini-sclerals. I'm changing optometrists soon and have been given the name of another whom has been fitting sclerals for years longer than my current optometrist. Hopefully this arduous drama will end sooner than later.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a Dr. in the SF bay area Calif?

Comment

Originally posted by ladyjlz View Post
            Can anyone recommend a Dr. in the SF bay area Calif?
            UCSF has a PROSE clinic now in their ophthalmology department. I don't think they are fully functional yet, though. I have called several times and I've been on the waiting list for getting new PROSE lenses fitted for 6 months now They told me they can check the ones I have now, but they aren't ready to fit new ones yet because they don't have the machinery. I am running out of patience waiting. I think I might try a local optometrist in Monterey where I live who fits Jupiter lenses. If I can get a good fit with the Jupiters then I'll give up on trying to get new PROSE lenses. Insurance covered my first pair and fittings but now I am on Medicare, which doesn't cover scleral lenses for chronic dry eye. Maybe you will have better luck than I did trying to get an appointment at UCSF

Comment

Working...
            X