Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many fittings does it typically take?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How many fittings does it typically take?

    I went for my first fitting for scleral lenses in December. I am now waiting for my third pair as the first 2 did not not fit properly, not even close.
    My fitter just keeps saying that I don't need to pay until I get the right pair but this doesn't help I feel like I am wasting my time.

    So I was wondering for those of you who wear scleral lenses how many fittings it took?

  • #2
    Alix

    May I know how much is he charging you?

    Have you thought of the relatively expensive but best of options like laserfit or eye print pro. They scan the exact contours of your eyes and manufactures scleral lenses accordingly that would fit your eyeball in one go (with minimal clearance). They also provide advanced vision correction options like correction for irregular astigmatism in the lenses themselves.

    Might be expensive initially but maybe worth it since the fit is so important in terms of both comfort and avoiding complications later on due to scleral lens wear. Scleral lenses if not fitted properly can cause more irritation to the palpebral conjunctiva and result in increased partial/incomplete blinks apart from in general discomfort.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Milo007 View Post
      Alix

      May I know how much is he charging you?

      Have you thought of the relatively expensive but best of options like laserfit or eye print pro. They scan the exact contours of your eyes and manufactures scleral lenses accordingly that would fit your eyeball in one go (with minimal clearance). They also provide advanced vision correction options like correction for irregular astigmatism in the lenses themselves.

      Might be expensive initially but maybe worth it since the fit is so important in terms of both comfort and avoiding complications later on due to scleral lens wear. Scleral lenses if not fitted properly can cause more irritation to the palpebral conjunctiva and result in increased partial/incomplete blinks apart from in general discomfort.
      Hi he is charging alot, but the options are limited here in the UK. There are very few scleral fitters and they all charge around the same. The only eye print pro practioner here in the UK is located in the middle of the country, it would take me hours to travel there here from London so I can't go there I have too many commitments.

      The best option would have been to get them from Moorfields, they would been fitted by a doctor and would have cost me next to nothing but I don't fit the criteria as I have 20/20 vision with regular prescription glasses.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Alix View Post

        Hi he is charging alot, but the options are limited here in the UK. There are very few scleral fitters and they all charge around the same. The only eye print pro practioner here in the UK is located in the middle of the country, it would take me hours to travel there here from London so I can't go there I have too many commitments.
        Proximity is a big problem. I had to travel thousands of kilometers to get to the only eye Institute in my country who has dedicated dry eye treatment facilties. I ended up spending 5-6 times the actual costs of the treatments behind travel and accommodation expenses. The scenario is changing though. One of the eye institutes in my city now has a lipiview and lipiflow machine and they are treating dry eye patients much better now. Still nothing in comparison to what's available in the US.


        Originally posted by Alix View Post
        The best option would have been to get them from Moorfields, they would been fitted by a doctor and would have cost me next to nothing but I don't fit the criteria as I have 20/20 vision with regular prescription glasses.

        What are their criteria for scleral lenses?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

          Proximity is a big problem. I had to travel thousands of kilometers to get to the only eye Institute in my country who has dedicated dry eye treatment facilties. I ended up spending 5-6 times the actual costs of the treatments behind travel and accommodation expenses. The scenario is changing though. One of the eye institutes in my city now has a lipiview and lipiflow machine and they are treating dry eye patients much better now. Still nothing in comparison to what's available in the US.

          What are their criteria for scleral lenses?
          I would travel as well if it was worth it but I am not going to take off work to go to see an optometrist located in the middle of nowhere with zero reviews.

          NHS criteria for scleral lens is strict but fair I think. Basically they will only give them to you if there is a medical need and you cannot achieve good vision with glasses, only with contact lenses.

          I do have burning pain in one eye so in that regard I do have a medical need, but the problem is I can't prove it as my symptoms do not correspond to the signs.

          https://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/service/contact-lens
          Last edited by Alix; 23-Feb-2019, 07:17.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Alix View Post


            I do have burning pain in one eye so in that regard I do have a medical need, but the problem is I can't prove it as my symptoms do not correspond to the signs.

            https://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/service/contact-lens
            Did they do an inflammadry or any other similar kind of test to test for the presence of inflammatory markers in your tear film?

            I think tear hyperosmolarity or presence of MMP can be counted as a sign of ocular discomfort.

            To be honest they are considering sclerals as a tool for vision correction whereas sclerals are quite popularly used as a tool to manage severe dry eyes by many opthalmologists around the world. It's unfortunate that NHS is not updating its guidelines according to the latest modalities of treatments.

            I can't believe your eyes are burning and they don't find out signs! Unless it's neuropathic pain burning eyes are almost always accompanied by tear hyperosmolarity and presence of inflammatory markers such as MMPs, chemokines and cytokines. If they don't test for these or accept them as the cause of ocular discomfort then it's sadly disappointing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

              Did they do an inflammadry or any other similar kind of test to test for the presence of inflammatory markers in your tear film?

              I think tear hyperosmolarity or presence of MMP can be counted as a sign of ocular discomfort.

              To be honest they are considering sclerals as a tool for vision correction whereas sclerals are quite popularly used as a tool to manage severe dry eyes by many opthalmologists around the world. It's unfortunate that NHS is not updating its guidelines according to the latest modalities of treatments.

              I can't believe your eyes are burning and they don't find out signs! Unless it's neuropathic pain burning eyes are almost always accompanied by tear hyperosmolarity and presence of inflammatory markers such as MMPs, chemokines and cytokines. If they don't test for these or accept them as the cause of ocular discomfort then it's sadly disappointing.
              No they don't have the equipment to test for that in NHS hospitals, I would have to go to a private clinic instead.

              The NHS reduced funding for the treatment of dry eye last year so that funds could be diverted to sight threatening illnesses so things will not improve for dry eye sufferers.

              They told me the cause of the pain is blepharatis and that there is no cure so I just need to get on with my life with scleral lenses.

              I am so tired of seeing doctors I just want to get scleral lenses that fit properly.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Alix View Post


                They told me the cause of the pain is blepharatis and that there is no cure so I just need to get on with my life with scleral lenses.
                This could be interesting. I also have a burning sensation in the inside of my eyelids that comes and goes away. The inside of my eyelids are mostly bright red and sometimes when my eyes feel moist they are pale pink or even pale whitish.

                Do you have any sensation over the eyelids or swelling (maybe occasional) of the same?

                I know blepharitis can be either bacterial or demodex induced immune response of the ocular surface. Have you noticed improvements in the burning sensation while on antibiotics?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

                  This could be interesting. I also have a burning sensation in the inside of my eyelids that comes and goes away. The inside of my eyelids are mostly bright red and sometimes when my eyes feel moist they are pale pink or even pale whitish.

                  Do you have any sensation over the eyelids or swelling (maybe occasional) of the same?

                  I know blepharitis can be either bacterial or demodex induced immune response of the ocular surface. Have you noticed improvements in the burning sensation while on antibiotics?
                  In my case, the burning sensation is mainly along the bottom of the eyeball itself, not in the inner eyelids. The insides of my eyelids are bright red, but they are never swollen and from the outside they look normal. The doctor told me my eyelid margins are clean.

                  I did take antibiotics for a couple of weeks last year and I think there was some improvement but I was taking/doing alot of other things at the same time so I can't say it was down to doxycycline but in any case I can't go back on it as it does not agree with my gut.

                  I still believe my symptoms are consistent with CCH but I just cannot face seeing yet another doctor and explaining my history. Hoping to get my life back with sclerals.

                  Have you got your tea tree oil yet? I use Optase (tea tree oil wipes) everyday.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Alix View Post

                    In my case, the burning sensation is mainly along the bottom of the eyeball itself, not in the inner eyelids. The insides of my eyelids are bright red, but they are never swollen and from the outside they look normal. The doctor told me my eyelid margins are clean.
                    OMG! I have these symptoms exactly as you describe. I also feel a strange sensation along the bottom of the eyeball (the inner most crevices of the lower eyelids). My eyelids look normal from outside too. Also I see a bit of loose conjunctiva on the bottom of my eyeball that sticks to the inside of my lower eyelids whenever I pull them to check the inflammation.

                    ​​​​
                    Originally posted by Alix View Post
                    I did take antibiotics for a couple of weeks last year and I think there was some improvement but I was taking/doing alot of other things at the same time so I can't say it was down to doxycycline but in any case I can't go back on it as it does not agree with my gut.
                    Assuming that you don't have bacterial or demodex blepharitis I think doxycycline helped you with inflammation. So you felt better.

                    Originally posted by Alix View Post
                    I still believe my symptoms are consistent with CCH but I just cannot face seeing yet another doctor and explaining my history. Hoping to get my life back with sclerals.
                    I think the CCH surgery will make things a lot better if you find a good surgeon who knows what he's doing.


                    Originally posted by Alix View Post
                    Have you got your tea tree oil yet? I use Optase (tea tree oil wipes) everyday.
                    Unfortunately not yet. I have written four mails to the USPS and they keep telling me it's not the correct department to place an enquiry for international shipments. They don't have an email to take grievances from international customers (residents outside US). What a shame!

                    I have emailed the Edens Garden authorities as well to investigate the matter from their end. They have replied once asking me if my shipment address was provided correctly (yes I provided the correct address). They also said sometimes shipments are put on hold at customs for longer than anticipated and the tracking updates are not refreshed until the final delivery is made. So pretty helpless at the moment.

                    https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...427869811US%2C
                    Last edited by Milo007; 23-Feb-2019, 13:53.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey,

                      Have you tried PRP eye drops? Made from your own blood. I live in the UK also and have travelled to Alicante to a place called Vissum to have these done. I have been on them for two weeks and have noticed a remarkable change! They are helping me significantly.

                      I have tried restatis for 9 months- ZERO improvement. 4 IPL sessions- improvement for a week maybe. I also have punctual plugs.

                      Just a suggestion!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by hannahmaywils View Post
                        Hey,

                        Have you tried PRP eye drops? Made from your own blood. I live in the UK also and have travelled to Alicante to a place called Vissum to have these done. I have been on them for two weeks and have noticed a remarkable change! They are helping me significantly.

                        I have tried restatis for 9 months- ZERO improvement. 4 IPL sessions- improvement for a week maybe. I also have punctual plugs.

                        Just a suggestion!
                        Is the post for Alix ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hannahmaywils View Post
                          Hey,

                          Have you tried PRP eye drops? Made from your own blood. I live in the UK also and have travelled to Alicante to a place called Vissum to have these done. I have been on them for two weeks and have noticed a remarkable change! They are helping me significantly.

                          I have tried restatis for 9 months- ZERO improvement. 4 IPL sessions- improvement for a week maybe. I also have punctual plugs.

                          Just a suggestion!
                          Hi no I haven't tried PRP drops but will be going to Alicante to get these if the scleral lenses don't work out.

                          Did the doctor indicate how long in your case you will have to use these for for recovery?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Alix He didnt indicate a timescale no. I have 12 weeks worth of PRP drops so we im sure he will decide whats best for me at the follow up next month

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hannahmaywils View Post
                              Alix He didnt indicate a timescale no. I have 12 weeks worth of PRP drops so we im sure he will decide whats best for me at the follow up next month
                              I wasn’t aware that they could give you 12 weeks worth of drops at a time, this is good to know.

                              Hoping they continue to give you relief!

                              Comment

                              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Biggrin :D Wink ;) Rolleyes :rolleyes: Tongue :p Cool :cool: Redface :o Confused :confused: Eek :eek: Frown :( Mad :mad:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x

                              Unconfigured PHP Module

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information