Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work for a pharma company and I just know that some doctors just care about the money BUT to be honest, I don't care if Dr. ****** just invented this procedure in order to gain more money, as long as it helps us, it's fine...and to be honest I'd pay thousands of dollars if there was a procedure that would help me! Pharma companies also just to research because they want to gain money, it has nothing to do with finding medicine for the poor patients...

Comment

Got a local response!!!

I just received an email from a local doctor who is willing to try this procedure on me. Here is his response:

Dear Mr. Barkdoll:

Thank you for your inquiry and your link to the video demonstrating this fascinating procedure. I would be happy to consult with you regarding your eyelid gland dysfunction. While we have not had an opportunity to try this procedure, technically it looks straightforward and if you would like to try it to see if it might offer you some relief, I will gladly help you in that regard.

How long have you been suffering from this condition?

Please feel free to contact me either by email directly or by phone.

I look forward to meeting you in the hope we might improve you condition.

I realize I'll be patient #1 (guinea pig) to this doctor, but if it works there will be dancing on the table tops!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mike838 View Post
        It looks like a neat procedure but my question is is it any more benifitial then the gland expressions that other dry eye drs do?
        Well put. This is indeed the bottom line.

I think that really skilled manual expression is not often done but when done is often very helpful. I am in communication with a doctor who is going to be trying Dr. ******'s technique and will post again when I learn what the results have been. Clearly this is being marketed heavily to doctors right now, so hopefully in about six months we'll all have some more solid information to judge from.

There are a lot of things that give immediate relief to people with dry eye. Effective AND sustainable treatment is more elusive.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I don't believe this procedure is a permanent fix, because the root cause hasn't been discovered/addressed. But even if the procedure works temporarily and became common enough to be done once, twice, three times a year in order to get some relief, I'll be happy!

Comment

I just read the article on this-sounds promising but it seems that the article indicates a person would still have to do warm compresses, antiobiotics, omega 3's to keep up the benefits...?? I do the warm compress and massage daily-I would love to get away from it but it seems that although this new procedure may really open up the glands-that there is still a constant need of warm compresses, etc to keep the open glands open!! Thoughts anyone????
            Jenny

Comment

Dr Latkany

Does anyone know if Dr. Latkany or anyone else in NY area will be preforming this .....hopefully somewhere in Westchester....Thanks

Comment

The expression that is generally done at Dr's offices target the hardened, keratinized meibium that blocks the MG orifices. If I read the article correctly, this targets deeper obstructions - neovasculature, fibrotic scar tissue - that would not be able to be "squeezed" out. The removal of neovasculature is also what Dr Toyos is targeting with the IPL treatment.

In theory, that is. In reality, who knows!?! But it does sound mighty tempting.

Gretchen

Comment

It does sound like this procedure (probing) targets severe blockages in glands that perhaps cannot be adequately expressed by the usual manual technique.
                  I have blockage with hardened keratinized meibum (I think) because my lids don't seem to be improving much with my warm compresses and my weak attempts at expressing the upper lids. I'm actually afraid of pushing too hard on my upper lids (i.e. pushing too hard into my eyes). What's the best way to do this?
                  I should get a doctor to express them to see if that would work before going for the probe.
                  None of the doctors I've seen so far seem to do the thorough expressing in the office.
                  Does anyone have experience with a good doctor that expresses glands in the northern VA area ? Or anywhere.....I'll travel for relief.
                  sigpic

Comment

My doctor is ordering a box of probes. He's going to probe my left lids (driest eye) first and see if there are any functioning glands left. If it's successful, he'll do the other eyelids. My appt should be set up within two weeks. Hope we strike oil!!!!

Comment

Where r u?

Originally posted by djb View Post
                      My doctor is ordering a box of probes. He's going to probe my left lids (driest eye) first and see if there are any functioning glands left. If it's successful, he'll do the other eyelids. My appt should be set up within two weeks. Hope we strike oil!!!!
                      I hope you do strike oil......Does anyone have anybody in the NY area that will do this....I have had a vision of this procedure in my mind for 20 plus years......Just the thought of the glands being open and unclogged is beautiful. To be able to wake up like everyone else, without looking like you just went 12 rounds with the champ, or were out all night long. What a feeling it would be....If anyone has any info about any NY doctor that will do this please foward... I am in the Westchester county area, and have been to Dr. Latkany about 5-6 times..... How would insurance handle this if at all?

Comment

Would love to know, as well, if someone in NY is interested in doing this at all. I can tell you with certainty that neither the wonderful Dr. Latkany nor anyone in Dr. Donnenfeld's office intends to incorporate it at this point - I've asked.

Comment

I look forward to hearing from people how this helps or not. It looks like it makes sence and I would love to try it too. anyone here had this done yet?

Comment

http://www.modernmedicine.com/modern.../detail/610890

Comment

The comments by the doctors under the video section in the link below are interesting:

http://www.eyetube.net/videos/default.asp?rederr

Comment

OUCH!

I'm such a wimp...
                                Melissa
                                pianolady

Comment

Working...
                                X