Botox for blepharospasm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Botox for blepharospasm

This is an email I received awhile back. I often get emails from people sharing their experiences and I am going to try to post more of them here to add to the 'database' of experiences with specific treatments.

Hi Rebecca,

I purchased a pair of Tranquileyes from your store and they are helpful; thank you. I've read your posts elsewhere mentioning complications from Botox treatment for blepharospasm, so I wanted to pass on another bad experience.

I was told by two docs I had blepharospasm, and another said hemifacial spasm. I'd been warned to only let an expert inject Botox near my eyes, so I went to a neurophthalmologist at [major university in CA] for my first injection.

That was on November 19. I've been in eye crisis ever since. I had paralysis of my lower eyelid, leading to exposure keratitis, constant burning pain and the total blurring of vision in my left eye. I've been to six follow-up doc appointments to manage the extreme complications. I've been wearing a bandage lens, eye-patches by day and taping my lid by night. The worst thing is the loss of functional use of my left eye. At a recent check-up that eye was 20/200 and cannot be corrected by lenses.

In short, I went in with a twitch and left blinded and in burning pain. My guess is Botox is riskier than it is often portrayed. This seems to fit with some of stories you've heard. I would definitely advise anyone against doing this, unless their facial spasms were truly disabling. (Mine were limiting at times, but not remotely as bad as the results of the procedure.)

I hope this info may be of use to someone else who contacts you.

All the best,
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244
Working...
X