X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contact lens wear related dry eye - mgd

A Google search:

contact lens wear dry eye PDF

will show several studies on These issues.
    Most full text articles on that issues are not available for free.

If patients do suffer severely from tear film disorders, they have in cooperation with their ophthalmologists to decide if soft CLs or even sclerals are
    necessary to deal with the Problems.
    I should be the first one, recommending CLs and sclerals for all dry eye sufferers!
    All of my meibomian Glands have gone many many years ago. So for me wear some Kind of CLs is no problem.

But some facts here from Europe:

Almost nobody of the ophthalmologists here does wear CL!
    Why not, their vision would be better than with glasses and at the slitlamp and during surgeries Cls are better suited than glasses.

Ophthalmologists here and in Japan are wrighting, that 35-45% of all CLs wearers do develope more or less
    severe MGD, many after only 4-5 years wearing time.
    In many countries pilots have no permission to wear CLs, only glasses- why?

I don`t know, how many members of this Forum have worn CLs before getting dry eyes?
    In the USA there are more than 35 mil CLs wearers, the majority Young womens.

Obviously many people - 35-45% are being born or getting a non optimal tear film, not suited for CLs wearing.

In a japanese study they found no CL materail related difference of the MGD and other dry eye causes.
    A difference they figured out was the size of the CLs. The smaller the size of the lenses, the less damage to the MGs. That should mean, the bigger-large the
    lenses the more damage they are causing.

It is also a matter of fact, that US ophthalmologists do only publish a very few studies-articles on CLs related dry eyes and LASIK related dry eyes?

Dr. Tseng has been a member of the MEEI team in Boston in the 80s. In the late 80s early 90s, dr Rosenthal of the Bostonsight-org
    presented the first modern sclerals. I think this Technology came from mr Donald Ezekiel from Perth.
    So why dr Tseng does not recommended sclerals for all of his severe dry eye patients.
    So if there are almost no risks of CLs wear,
    why not all severe dry eye sufferers will wear CLs and most problems are being solved.

Peter, suffering from most severe dry eyes from Europe, who obviously does know almost nothing about dry eyes.
Working...
X