This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An alternative to TE.

There seems to be a -ton- of threads around sharing the same complaint of: I can't keep TE on my head. They don't fit my eyes well. I hate having the foam pad on my eyelids.

Since I don't need the lid closing that a fitting pair of TE's provides, I've switched over to mindfold's. The cheapest I've found them is here

Basically, it is a thick blackout plastic sheet with an elastic/velcro band that goes around your head and mounted on the plastic sheet to provide blackout is a big old slice of foam that, for me, covers from eyebrow to cheekbone. There's two eye-shaped cutouts so you can open your eyes, blink, ect.

There's a LOT more foam than TE, which for me means I don't have to bother adjusting or fiddling with the foam sitting 'just right' or whatnot. The elastic band is pretty sturdy (it's about 1-2 times as thick and wide as the kind of elastic you see on pointe shoes, or 3-4 times as thick as 'cheapo' sleepshade elastic) and I've never had the experience of waking up with my sleepshade on the pillow, around my neck, or being chewed by the dog (hehe.) The plastic 'topper' is obviously not going to let any air in or any moisture out, and the foam fits well enough to regulate the movement of air while not entirely choking off your eyes.

It does have some downsides.. when the foam needs replacing, which for someone with dry eye, is just about once a month.. you have to chuck the whole 9$ unit in the trash. It's larger, so it's not as portable. And if you need the lid-closing 'inner foam' of a TE, this just wont work unless you take that foam out and put it in here because you're having fitting issues with the actual TE goggles. The foam isn't as soft as TE foam, which isn't a big issue for me because it doesn't touch my eyelids, but it might bother someone.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend buying a pair- at 9$, you don't have much to lose- to anyone having fitting issues with TE that make you just want to throw in the towel on nighttime eye protection. It's not perfect, but it's sure better than going without!
Working...
X