X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can dry eye cause this?

Hi,

I have been to an ophthalmologist about my vision and after testing my corneal thickness with a machine, wavefront, an acuity snellen chart, dilation, etc .. She found nothing wrong with my eyes, and said it must just be in my head.

Umm, no,.. what I see is what I see. So if the eye structurally is deemed in tact.. then I started thinking about my situation and if it could be related to my Tear Film.

When I wake up in the morning, and open my eyes it is like someone got a bunch of vaseline and smothered it over both my eyes. Where everything looks like I am looking through this IMMENSE haze. This lasts for 5-10minutes and clears up to my 'normal' vision. The eyes hurt when I wake up, it feels like they don't have any fluid on them..

Further I see halo's around any light source, and some lightsources (many) will produce a starburst pattern.

Example: Laying in bed watching TV -- when I look at the power light on the cable box (green little dot) -- it is blurred. It is like a smudge.. it smears around -- If I blink it sometimes will change how it is 'streaking' and sometimes just remain the same.

I see ghosting very often, especially on text on the computer, or telvision. (But it happens to other things). This is with each eye alone or together, as I can hold one closed and still see a 'ghost' image of the text.

The true test , I think, to get my vision back where it was all my life (I tested 20/15 at the eye doctor recently) -- is when a small point of light, like an LED comes back in the shape it was designed as. If a circle, then a circle. Instead of this big smudge/streaking blob of light.

I don't really care about the ghosting, starbursts, halos and so on.. no big deal. But when I'm reading I have a tougher time because my vision is "just not right" .. hard to describe but the words either seem hard to focus on, or just very very subtly shimmering. (This is with two or one eyes)

But to the 'common' dry eye symptoms:

My eyes never feel 'good' -- They never feel 'well lubricated'...

When I lay down for sleep, if on my back.. the first thing I feel is my eyes after a minute feeling like they are rubbing against sandpaper.. like there is some sand in my eyes. If I sleep on my left side.. the right eye will feel this way, and vice versa. So literally when I lean from side to side the tears wash all the way in correspondence with gravity. This can't be right.

As for drops -- I've tried Systane and it does nothing. I just bought some Emmoliant brand drop that has mineral oil in it to help the lipid layer.. we shall see.

I am trying to find some sort of foothold and it is leading down to the tear film, and the more I think about it the more the 'smearing, blurring, and so on.." could be attributed by the film over the eye. Especially when I blink is changing the image at all.. this should be confirmation.

Plus I can easily see that I have never had any 'tests' for dry eye or tear film issues..

Sorry so long --

Just basically wondering if some problem with anything tear film related could create this kind of stuff? I've wondered if maybe it isn't typical dry eye but the film's makeup is off and perhaps there is some 'thicker' layer of muck over the eyes. I say this because of how my vision seems when making out faces and such.. it literally looks like there is some 'fog' or something between me and what I'm looking at. Though it isn't as apparent as it would be in cataracts etc (and that is completely ruled out).

Let me know, if you have any idea.

Very very much appreciated,
    Last edited by south28; 20-Nov-2010, 13:57.
Working...
X