Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update--brand new “subsurface” punctal plug!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update--brand new “subsurface” punctal plug!

I went to the doctor last Wednesday since my right eye has been getting much worse lately. From around noon till bedtime my right eye usually needs 4-8 vials of Theratears, with extremely fast drainage being the problem again.

So Wednesday I asks the doctor for punctal plugs for the right eye since they helped so much for my left eye. I also asked if he could put in one plug and then let me wait in the waiting room to see if I needed another one. (I was planning on getting two plugs either way but I figured it would increase my chances if I “tested” just one first.)

He put in the bottom plug (same as the other ones .5mm Superflex by Eaglevision.) There was a little bit of trouble getting it in because of the way my head was in the chin rest and I could feel the inserter rubbing against my forehead. After he was done I went to the waiting room and pulled out my little pocket mirror to see how it looked and to my surprise it didn’t look like there was anything in there.

After awhile he came back out and asked how I was doing. We went back to the room and I told him I couldn’t see anything so he decided to take a look. He looked at the left eye then looked at the right eye and there was a slight pause. “No, it’s in there….it’s just a little subsurface.” He didn’t seem too concerned. I was kind of hoping the plug just didn’t come off the inserter…..apparently not. But I was still there to get two plugs and now that one was potentially “subsurface” I didn’t think that one was going to help much so I had him put in the top plug too just to get it over with.

(As a side note I think what might have happened was after he put the plug in, he used the dilating side of the inserter to make sure the plug was in all the way and I think it might have been pushed in too far. But I don’t really know for sure.)

End result:

1.Right eye dryness is exactly the same.

2.Right top punctal plug is fine but I now truly believe the bottom one is stuck down there cause every other day I can feel it in there when I blink, sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes an hour or so. It’s not horrible but it’s not pleasant either. It feels like a grain of sand in there or a small paper cut.

3.Hopefully he can flush it out when I go back which we talked about before I left. Whether he’s ever done that before I don’t know.

4.I have to decide if I should try the next size up? Or take my chances with a .5mm again.

5.The good news is I don’t have to pay for a replacement.

6.Lastly I imaging if I ever want to get cauterized this isn’t going to make finding someone willing to do it a every easy task with a possible plug living in there.
Working...
X