This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provider, Method, Success Rate, Cost list

I've been reading the many threads on Scleral Lenses, but I've having trouble understanding the methods and costs of each option. I'll be traveling out of state, and wish to work with some place that 1. Will work as hard as possible to get BCBS to cover some of this for me or will be a good value if they absolutely refuse and 2. has the technology to get the best fit possible.

Would anybody with Sclerals be willing to share simply where they went, how much it cost at the time, what special technology/fitting technique was used, if the insurance chipped in, and if it worked or not? I'm trying to make a sort of a simple list for myself.

And can anyone tell me what type of technology I might want to be asking about when I call?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So far I've spoken with Dr Gemoules who I really like because he will actually answer my questions, is very straight forward, and has had good success according to people here. My insurance however has told him no way (I think without even looking my records or history- only looking at my plan wording) and he doesn't file with insurance so I think I'll have a harder time getting them to consider covering it. So at best with plane and hotel and being out of work (I work for myself) I'm looking at around $5000 per week.

I've called a university near chicago that does fitting, but they never call or write back, and I always get answering services - not even for just the eye center - that at some times are just downright rude. Seems very disorganized, and I haven't heard anyone talk about them anywhere so no reputation I can find. But I could drive there at least.

I called the university in Miami that does this today. They kept forwarding me to different people playing phone tag. At first point someone told me the price would be $75 plus the cost of the lens. I just giggled. After the 5th time being forwarded a receptionist called to tell me that I would need to call Dr Sotomayor directly to get any pricing, and her people won't be in until Friday. At least they did call me back the same day, and they have been mentioned here. They wouldn't be in network, but I'd have to see how they feel about contacting my insurance and fighting for coverage.

I wrote to Boston just now, but that one scares me a little because I know they have the highest prices I've seen. But everyone who mentions them seems to have had success with insurance, and I'm going to assume they have the most experience knowing how to write up claims to best get them accepted. Plane tickets seem to be less expensive to there also on first glance.

Open to additional suggestions! This is bigger than investing in a car, so I'd like to be sure to do my research right!
Working...
X