Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scleral Lenses appropriate for me?

Hello Dry Eye Folks,

First, my apologies if this is being posted in the wrong place, but I don't know that people check the scleral section except for their own research, and I'd really like any feedback people can offer.

I'm trying to get a sense of whether scleral lenses are appropriate for me. I have MGD and some aqueous deficiency as a result of the use of Accutane (which destroys oil glands). I have four punctal plugs, have been on restasis for a good 9 months, do lid scrubs, and use topical antibiotics on my eyelids. Nevertheless, I'm in pain ~60% of the time, and it's much worse when I'm socializing extensively (trying to hold eye contact, for example), focusing really hard on something, or zoning out. Basically any time my blink rate seems to fall.

I've spoken to three doctors about it, and two have told me that the scleral lenses are too difficult to use to be worth it, but they cannot offer any other treatments. Apparently my eyes are relatively moist during exams, which is wonderful and all, except that I'm still in pain whenever I'm in one of the moods described above.

Reading news stories about Scleral lenses seems to suggest that most patients are the really, really bad, non-functional types of dry eye sufferers. The type of people who are functionally blind as a result of their condition. I certainly don't consider myself to be a part of this population, but I do feel as though I'm losing a part of my emotional register to this disease. I'm less social and find myself keeping myself busy to distract myself from the pain.

But given that most people who talk about successes with scleral lenses are disaster cases, I'm wondering whether the lenses are appropriate for someone with a more marginal (though I would certainly still say serious) condition, like myself.

Any thoughts?

Nick

--
    Consultant
    Development Economic Research
    The World Bank
    New Delhi, India
    Tel: +91.9958628928
Working...
X