How far will non-RX methods take me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far will non-RX methods take me?

I have the most severe dry eye problems in my left eye. Prior to diagnosis I had trouble with computer work, watching TV/DVDs and distance vision in that eye. I was told that my eyelid was swollen and inflamed.
    I had itchy, "sandy" feeling in my eyes for several years but thought it was due to eye strain from some extra long hours at a computer last year while working on a project.
    I don't think there are immune system or other such unusual problems causing the dry eye.
    I have RXs for an antibiotic and Restasis, but wanted to see how far I could get with warm compresses, gels during the day and oitment at night.
    I would guess that got me about 80 percent there. Distance vision is much better, nearly as good as my 20-20 right eye when dry eye is not causing problems. Upon awaking, I have some blurriness in my left eye for reading prior to putting GenTeal gel in my eyes. During the day, my vision in that eye does get a little less than perfect for computer work every day about 4 p.m. Some days more than others, depending on how intensive the screen work is.
    Because of the work I do, it is hard to take regular breaks away from the screen.
    So to my question: Have I progressed about as far as I'm going to get with these non-RX methods? Restasis often takes about 9 mo. to take effect so I figured I could start this in Oct and give it until year's end to see how it goes.
    Any advice from people with similar problems and approach to dealing with it?
    Thank you.
Working...
X